trouble posting

For the 6 posts that I have at this forum.
I have found that when I hit “submit post”
It erases what I have written saying that it might be Spam.
I could not post the abortion thread in the political subsection.
But interestingly it let me post it in the pseudoscience section.
I don’t know who the mods are, so I am posting my difficulties in the “introduce” section.

For the 6 posts that I have at this forum. I have found that when I hit "submit post" It erases what I have written saying that it might be Spam. I could not post the abortion thread in the political subsection. But interestingly it let me post it in the pseudoscience section. I don't know who the mods are, so I am posting my difficulties in the "introduce" section.
Yeah the posting deal around here has gotten rather funky alright. First off, Hit previous tab a couple times, odds are your stuff is still there. Although if it's something that's important you might as well write it up in a text doc, then paste and post. I've noticed the system seems to have developed a resentment for edits. Other suggestion strip HTML coding from links - sometimes helps. Sometimes simply closing the window and reopening lets you post something that was getting SPAMMED The gremlins sometimes even think that linking back to previous CFI posts is "SPAM" ___________________ The Navajo have a saying about Coyote Waits - basically it's belief that the god's are tricksters waiting for the opportunity to fuk with you. We here at CFI don't have no gods - but we got a SPAM N instead, every bit as capricious, but it's our SPAM N and we love 'em just the same.
For the 6 posts that I have at this forum. I have found that when I hit "submit post" It erases what I have written saying that it might be Spam. I could not post the abortion thread in the political subsection. But interestingly it let me post it in the pseudoscience section. I don't know who the mods are, so I am posting my difficulties in the "introduce" section.
I've noticed the system seems to have developed a resentment for edits. ___________________ The Navajo have a saying about Coyote Waits - basically it's belief that the god's are tricksters waiting for the opportunity to fuk with you. We here at CFI don't have no gods - but we got a SPAM N instead, every bit as capricious, but it's our SPAM N and we love 'em just the same. I do a lot of editing.

If you do a lot of editing it is best to take CC’s suggestion and write your post in a word processor or text editor then copy and paste here. I’ve been running into more frequent problems lately with the forum software rejecting my posts as spam. The moderators know about it but unless this forum becomes a higher priority at CFI nothing will change. I’ve learned a lot here over the years and I’d hate to see this place dry up and blow away.

The main problem is that this forum software is very old and creaky, and AFAIK there is no intention to upgrade. So we will have to make do with it for the time being.

Yeah. Wish we could convince them to upgrade the software, but that would take someone in favor of the forum getting on the board. You should probably move this to CFI Forums Feedback or Issues & Complaints. It seems more appropriate there.

You should probably move this to CFI Forums Feedback or Issues & Complaints. It seems more appropriate there.
Can I?

No. That’s a moderator’s decision. They’re volunteers so we shouldn’t expect immediate action.

The main problem is that this forum software is very old and creaky, and AFAIK there is no intention to upgrade. So we will have to make do with it for the time being.
All they'd have to do is move it to Googlegroups. I have a couple of discussion groups there and other than a minor glitch now and then it's less of a problem than this program. Is there some reason CFI is wedded to this software? Lois
Yeah. Wish we could convince them to upgrade the software, but that would take someone in favor of the forum getting on the board. You should probably move this to CFI Forums Feedback or Issues & Complaints. It seems more appropriate there.
It is not appropriate for Issues & Complaints, which is only about particular Mod actions. At any rate moving the thread would make no difference. AFAIK I and the other Mods are the only CFI-related folks who regularly read these posts, and I've read this one already. That said, I will send an email to CFI's web developer to see if there is anything that can be tweaked.
All they'd have to do is move it to Googlegroups. I have a couple of discussion groups there and other than a minor glitch now and then it's less of a problem than this program. Is there some reason CFI is wedded to this software? Lois
Not sure Google Groups can be integrated within CFI's corporate website structure. Basically the site is run on a shoestring, and these decisions are above my pay grade. NB: my pay grade is zero.
The software used here is almost identical to the software at the Sam Harris Forum (SHF). Its a standard program. Its not that the program is old. The erasure of the post, followed by the message that the post might be spam, does not occur at the SHF. There is a bug in the software at this site. Its fixable. If all the posts can be saved, consider reinstalling the program.
The software used here is almost identical to the software at the Sam Harris Forum (SHF). Its a standard program. Its not that the program is old. The erasure of the post, followed by the message that the post might be spam, does not occur at the SHF. There is a bug in the software at this site. Its fixable. If all the posts can be saved, consider reinstalling the program.
"Almost identical" software means different software. There is no "standard program" for Forum software. Ours comes as part of a package that includes software for the whole CFI website.
"Almost identical" software means different software. There is no "standard program" for Forum software. Ours comes as part of a package that includes software for the whole CFI website. yea, You're right. but the sites are very very similar, so the software is made by the same company. I still think a reinstall, if feasible, might fix the problem... and cheaply.

Would it help if we took up a collection to upgrade the software? Kickstarter might work.

Would it help if we took up a collection to upgrade the software? Kickstarter might work.
I've just started posting here. How many regular posters are there... for real?

About a dozen regulars with a dozen or so more chiming in occasionally. We used to have more but a couple dozen have left for various reasons. We seem to have picked up a few contributors the last couple of weeks. We just need a few more to keep this forum relevant and entertaining. Too many and we’ll be inundated with crackpots like we have the last couple of years.

About a dozen regulars with a dozen or so more chiming in occasionally. We used to have more but a couple dozen have left for various reasons. We seem to have picked up a few contributors the last couple of weeks. We just need a few more to keep this forum relevant and entertaining. Too many and we'll be inundated with crackpots like we have the last couple of years.
Do you have any relatively rational theists?

I’m not sure if 12 regular posters is enough to keep it interesting.
Also the problem I’m having in posting and editing is a major issue.
Its hard to post.
I noticed you have a lot of regulars drop out after 2016.
Why?

I noticed you have a lot of regulars drop out after 2016. Why?
A few problem posters apparently drove away a couple of new members with their incessant drivel. I haven't dropped out so I don't know why other established members have. Some of them weren't voluntary. One moderator and valuable contributor passed away. One member was booted off (I saw that one coming six months before it happened). A few are still around but not posting much. I wish the moderators would get more involved in the discussions as I've learned a lot from them over the years. But if the new members stick around this forum can remain a valuable resource for critical thinking and humanist values. We had a rational Christian join last week but I haven't seen him post much yet.