Quiet as a funeral

As of late chat on the forum has been as quiet as a funeral. Does anyone know why? Thank you.

I had a defective computer. It is fixed now. I’ll resume poking the hornet’s nest as soon as I’m off my current road trip.

As of late chat on the forum has been as quiet as a funeral. Does anyone know why? Thank you.
Yeah, it's quiet alright. Sometimes I fear CFI was sort of a personality based organization and now that those personalities are gone, no one there to reinfuse it with energy and relevance. It's sad. So much going on, on so many different levels. Seems to me people ought to be bursting at the seams to want to talk about some of these issues. But, where are they?

Quite frankly part of the problem we’ve had recently has been Mike Yohe and Stardusty Psyche posting nonsense then arguing with anyone who has the temerity to call out their bullshit. Fortunately, SP has been silent for a few weeks. Unfortunately, Yohe is still around disrupting conversations and discouraging new members from sticking around. We have other problems, too, of course. Some long-time valuable contributors are no longer around for various reasons, and not enough new members have joined to replace them. I really wish the moderators would join the discussions. They have always had valuable insights to add and without their contributions the forums are withering.

I agree, the quality of new regular posters has degraded in the last couple years. The long time regulars tend to run out of steam trying to deal logically with illogical people. We just don’t have the strength of numbers that something like Reddit does. The avenue to bring people in would be some sort of content, but the CFI newsletter is not something that inspires discussion. CFI orgs seem to be locally sustaining, and not in need of a forum to support them. I’m friends with a lot of CFI Michigan people on Facebook, and they tend to use that a lot.
Better moderation might help, but in the short term, it would reduce content. I would not be a good moderator because I thrive on a certain level of controversy. I think arguments worthwhile because even when one person is totally off base, it’s an opportunity to demonstrate how and why.
As long as I can count on the occasional decent link, or information I don’t see somewhere else, I’ll keep coming back.

Sometimes quiet is better

Sometimes quiet is better
Yeah, especially when Yohe keeps repeating the same lies ad nauseam.
Seems to me people ought to be bursting at the seams to want to talk about some of these issues. But, where are they?
Most go to their respective safe spaces. I've been banned so many places I lost track long ago. At one point the folks here were cryin' to the moderator who just said nope, I was actually not the major offender. But, most people just seem to want to flock together with birds of their feather. Plus, this forum has no theme, and no lead in stories, and no current event links. no salacious headlines, and no named owner. It's just a bunch of (probably) old, (probably) white, (probably) guys (sorry Lois), prattling on about random shit that pops into the head from time to time. I'ld say go to RDFRS blog but that is just another safe space I got banned from because I did not join them in their nauseating social justice warrior agenda mixed with hero worship of Dawkins. Although, grading on a curve, it took them several months so they get a little credit compared to PZ who banned me within 4 hours. I find this video to be both hilarious and vindicating in its poignant incisiveness, yet, truth is, as pathetic as I may find it, this is what most people want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

Well, I dream of serious constructive dialogue.
Not rhetorical game playing.

I've been banned so many places I lost track long ago. At one point the folks here were cryin' to the moderator who just said nope, I was actually not the major offender.
You seem to be proud of it.
But, most people just seem to want to flock together with birds of their feather..
You can't blame people for idea exchange between peers.
Plus, this forum has no theme, and no lead in stories, and no current event links. no salacious headlines, and no named owner. It's just a bunch of (probably) old, (probably) white, (probably) guys (sorry Lois), prattling on about random shit that pops into the head from time to time.
So it doesn't appear to you it is the kind of language that you are using might be the reason you were banned so often, and not the contents of what you are saying? AFAIK nobody here got ever banned because his/hers viewpoints: only because of uncivilised behaviour.
Seems to me people ought to be bursting at the seams to want to talk about some of these issues. But, where are they?
Most go to their respective safe spaces. I've been banned so many places I lost track long ago. Gee, I can't imagine why! You seem so sweet! At one point the folks here were cryin' to the moderator who just said nope, I was actually not the major offender. But, most people just seem to want to flock together with birds of their feather. Plus, this forum has no theme, and no lead in stories, and no current event links. no salacious headlines, and no named owner. It's just a bunch of (probably) old, (probably) white, (probably) guys (sorry Lois), prattling on about random shit that pops into the head from time to time. Why are you here, then? Running out of places to be incredibly annoying? I'ld say go to RDFRS blog but that is just another safe space I got banned from because I did not join them in their nauseating social justice warrior agenda mixed with hero worship of Dawkins. Although, grading on a curve, it took them several months so they get a little credit compared to PZ who banned me within 4 hours. I find this video to be both hilarious and vindicating in its poignant incisiveness, yet, truth is, as pathetic as I may find it, this is what most people want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U
GdB - So it doesn’t appear to you it is the kind of language that you are using might be the reason you were banned so often, and not the contents of what you are saying?
No. Safe spaces ban based on content, and most forums are safe spaces in various degrees. For the counter jihad folks saying that Israel is an apartheid state is considered inherently foul language. For a black moderator calling Black Lives Matter a radical hate group is foul language. For a feminist moderator calling the wage gap a myth is foul language.
AFAIK nobody here got ever banned because his/hers viewpoints: only because of uncivilised behaviour.
That's why I am still able to post here.
LoisL - Gee, I can’t imagine why! You seem so sweet!
Very kind of you to say so, my dear.
Why are you here, then? Running out of places to be incredibly annoying?
Inconvenient truth is indeed annoying to most.
Safe spaces ban based on content, and most forums are safe spaces in various degrees.
I hear ya. I didn't get banned, but a few years ago PZ Myers had a guest columnist who used what I believed was a logical fallacy to make a point. I pointed it out, and immediately got piled on by other readers. The guest columnist denigrated me, deleted my posts, and kept piling on. I didn't question his conclusion, just his logic, but neither he nor his readers had any interest in rational discussion, they wanted an echo chamber.