New Forum is Up and Running ... Finally!

After a long hiatus of behind-the-scenes rejiggering, we are back up with a fresh new face. The new CFI Forum!

Hopefully you will notice most of the same functionality as with the past Forum. There may be some differences here and there, which you may need to get used to. But the basic idea should be the same: inquiry and discussion.

Cheers!

Thanks for your hard work. I have to admit I almost gave up. Good to be back.

Hello. It seems to work.

I had an issue on a previous account where the password link didn’t work and I had to make a new one

Glad to hear it. However, I own and run another discussion group and it took me less than 20 minutes to transfer it and every member to a different server. CFI forums took TWO MONTHS!

I certaunly hope it was worth it and that CFI forums will work better than it had since I joined several years ago.

I had a password link I used for years and I had to get a different one.

LoisL

I can breathe again! Seriously, thanks to whomever did this conversion. I like the new look.

Looking forward to everyone checking back in.

Hello Doug,

Good to hear from you, I was afeared we’d lost you.

Good to have the Forum up and running and thank you to all who put in the work

and those who decided not to pull the plug.

Now how do we get more participants?

PS. no auto quote function anymore?

Who came up with “VOICES” ? What’s it mean?

If Voices = Views what the logic behind the wording change?

Just asking, cause it seems curious.

I think “voices” means members involved in the discussion, although I haven’t checked to be sure. That way you can tell if something is a long thread with two voices you know it’s limited to those two members having a back-and-forth.

Still not sure to start a new topic but hopefully I will adjust.

Well I’ll be damned, just checked in earlier today after nearly forgetting about this place for months and look what we have here.

On the old forum I was Beltane, there was a problem retrieving my account as I forgot my password and old registration email after all this time, so this is the new style for the new forum.

Now let’s see how many old threads are restarted!

Two immediately noticeable things are we can no longer see who’s logged on, and there are no emoticons. That sucks.

Oh my goodness, I just noticed you can’t quote a post in a reply. Ouch, that’s like having a word processor that can’t backspace! Without quoting we might as well use google communities or FB.

Oh my goodness, I just noticed you can’t quote a post in a reply. Ouch, that’s like having a word processor that can’t backspace! Without quoting we might as well use google communities or FB.
Yes, there is a quote function. Copy what you want to quote, highlight it, and click the quote button above. It works differently than before but it does work.

Hi,

I was trying to fix a broken link to a reference source while proof reading a post when it seems the timeout on editing kicked in ( only about 5 mins. ) preventing the insertion of the repaired link and leaving the post looking unfinished. So if the edit timeout is actually set to such a short duration, would it be too much to ask for the length to be increased to something that would better facilitate proof reading and polishing-up of posts after we see how they look when they’re actually posted? At least 30 mins would seem more appropriate, and a few more formatting options might be nice too ( e.g. text sizing and color for creating better looking headings ).

Thanks

PS: Apart from the above, I like the look and feel of the forum. Nice and clean.

would it be too much to ask for the length to be increased to something that would better facilitate proof reading and polishing-up of posts after we see how they look when they’re actually posted? At least 30 mins would seem more appropriate, and a few more formatting options might be nice too ( e.g. text sizing and color for creating better looking headings ).
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve sent them along to the powers that be.

The new forum seems to be worse than the old one in every way.

I still don’t understand how to start an new topic? Anh destruction on how to do this?

At the bottom of the screen when you are looking at a forum folder there should be a window that says something like “start new topic”.

Thanks Doug but like many others I’m not impressed. Exactly what was done in changing the forum took a log time and actually made it worse. Why would anyone take so much time to make something worse?