Marijuana news

Don’t tell me what I know from deep personal experience, completely validated by professionals.

Perhaps you have an addictive personality?

I’m not talking about myself but four in the next generation. One son, two step sons, and another. NONE of them have addictive personalities. NONE of them. At all. The ONE substance abuse they ALL have in common is strong marijuana from adolescence inclusive. I have to talk my son through psychosis. Cannabis psychosis. My boss got angry with me one day because he met me with a friend of mine who is a properly convicted murderer, outside work. Full on. No messing. With a hammer. Not on cannabis at the time. But a very heavy user. No psychosis was involved. Because it reminded him of a friend who was murdered by another with a pair of garden shears in the grip of cannabis psychosis while they shared a spliff.

Do . not . tell . me . what . you , do . not . know .

I ‘only’ experienced paranoia.

Of course, we all did, but not from marijuana. We were afraid of the Law and we were in a heightened sensory state.

That heightened state also made me feel pleasant emotions at a much deeper level.

So, no Reefer madness then. Well good. Are you sure he had not been drinking also? Or done amphetamines?

Bollocks. I wasn’t afraid of the law in the slightest. What law?

You . know . less . than . nothing . about . it .

Your ignorance is only exceeded by your witless arrogance. Grandiosity.

I don’t think he is doing that. You are speaking from personal experience. I have a thread around here somewhere that talks about how that’s not science. It’s real. It’s valid. But it’s not science. I can’t access your personal experience. That’s the bottom line. Whether it’s fairies, the power of prayer, or your experience of people on marijuana. I didn’t, and can’t have those experiences. The closest I could get would be similar experiences, but that’s just the beginning of scientific inquiry.

I can’t evaluate the personalities of the people you talk about. I don’t know anything about the incident with the hammer other than what you said here. Even if I did, I couldn’t discount the experiences of 55 million other people. Then I would be doing to them what you are so angry about being done to you here.

I have had friends die from drugs. But that was when marijuana was one of many. that’s my experience. You know, those articles Write4 linked, they have stats that support you, like 10% of young smokers experiencing depression. There really isn’t an argument here, unless one of you is claiming that marijuana use has a high likelihood of a deadly outcome

I fully agree, but Marijuana causes psychosis in young minds, and that science. Links have been given in preceding posts.

Then why is it prescribed to treat psychosis? You can’t have it both ways.

On a more positive note;

H.R. 5485 - Hemp Farming Act of 2018

The Hemp Farming Act of 2018 legalized industrial hemp with THC concentration of no more than 0.3 percent by removing it from Schedule I of the CSA. Hemp is defined as the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.

The bill also amended the Agricultural Marketing Act of 1946 to allow state and tribal regulation of hemp production. States and Native American tribes may regulate hemp production by submitting plans to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The bill makes hemp producers eligible for both federal crop insurance and USDA research grants, and gives hemp producers water rights and access to the national banking system.

The Hemp Farming Act of 2018 was incorporated into the
Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, which was signed into law on December 20, 2018.

https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/files/2021-02/DIR-008-21%202020%20National%20Drug%20Threat%20Assessment_WEB.pdf

Certain cannabinoid acids can help prevent the COVID-19 virus from entering human cells, according to a study published by researchers at Oregon State University.

The compounds — cannabigerolic acid (CBGA) and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) — are found in hemp, aka cannabis sativa.

There was a period of time when weed was sprayed with angel dust or other substances. Not too different from todays street opioids getting cut with fentanyl.

Of course you can. Just like people die in car crashes every day, but we accept that. We don’t have 35 mph speed limits with cops constantly pulling people over. Just like we have bars full of drunk people who all get in their cars at closing time and the cops aren’t sitting there handing out tickets. Just like we have coal plants spewing carcinogens in the air. These are all regulated substances and activities. We have regulations because these things have certain risks, but we want the benefits, and the freedom to incur those risks.

1 Like

Why is what prescribed where to treat psychosis? And knowing all things as you do, why can’t marijuana both cause and treat psychosis?

What’s this got to do with marijuana?

Not in the UK or sources to the UK: the Caribbean, W. Africa to Morocco.

I have to disagree with that. 3 strikes and you do 20-life in jail ?
For smoking marijuana, a private activity???

https://www.aclu.org/other/10-reasons-oppose-3-strikes-youre-out

10 Reasons to Oppose “3 Strikes, You’re Out”

The American public is alarmed about crime, and with good reason. Our crime rate is unacceptably high, and many Americans feel like prisoners in their own homes, afraid to venture out for fear of becoming another statistic.

For more than past 20 years, state and federal crime control policies have been based on the belief that harsh sentencing laws will deter people from committing crimes. But today, with more than one million people behind bars, and state budgets depleted by the huge costs of prison construction, we are no safer than before. New approaches to the problem of crime are needed, but instead, our political leaders keep serving up the same old strategies.

Take the so-called “3 Strikes, You’re Out” law, for example. Embraced by state legislators, Congress and the President himself, this law imposes a mandatory life sentence without parole on offenders convicted of certain crimes. Despite its catchy baseball metaphor, this law is a loser, for the following reasons.

1. “3 Strikes” Is An Old Law Dressed Up In New Clothes

Although its supporters act as if it is something new, “3 Strikes” is really just a variation on an old theme. States have had habitual offender laws and recidivist statutes for years. All of these laws impose stiff penalties, up to and including life s entences, on repeat offenders. The 1987 Federal Sentencing Guidelines and mandatory minimum sentencing laws in most states are also very tough on repeaters. The government may be justified in punishing a repeat offender more severely than a first offender, but “3 Strikes” laws are overkill.

2. “3 Strikes” Laws Won’t Deter Most Violent Crimes

Its supporters claim that “3 Strikes” laws will have a deterrent effect on violent crime. But these laws will probably not stop many criminals from committing violent acts. For one thing, most violent crimes are not premeditated. They are committed in anger, in the heat of passion or under the influence of alcohol. The prospect of a life s entence is not going to stop people who are acting impulsively, without thought to the likely consequences of their actions.

Another reason why repeat offenders do not consider the penalties they face before acting is because they do not anticipate being c aught, and they are right. According to the American Bar Association, out of the approximately 34 million serious crimes committed each year in the U.S., only 3 million result in arrests.

3. “3 Strikes” Laws Could Lead To An Increase In Violence

Many law enforcement professionals oppose the “3 Strikes” law out of fear such laws would spur a dramatic increase in violence against police, corrections officers and the public. A criminal facing the prospect of a mandatory life sentence will be far more likely to resist arrest, to kill witnesses or to attempt a prison escape. Dave Paul, a corrections officer from Milwaukee, Oregon, wrote in a newspaper article: “Imagine a law enforcement officer trying to arrest a twice-convicted felon who has nothing to lose by using any means necessary to escape. Expect assaults on police and correctional officers to rise precipitously.” (Portland Oregonian, 3/94). Ironically, these laws may cause more, not less, loss of life.
10 Reasons to Oppose "3 Strikes, You're Out" | American Civil Liberties Union

I made no comment on the punishment fitting the crime. I responded to how a drug like marijuana can have medical benefits in some cases, and cause psychosis in other cases.

I gave you a whole list of untreatable mental disorders (psychotic episodes) that show remarkable improvement by marijuana.
Here is another case.

No, medical marijuana has only medical benefits and has never been reported as the “cause” for psychosis.

Certain strains do heighten sensory perceptions and that may be unsettling , but I have seen many users in my years on the road and never saw anybody experience “Reefer Madness”.

It does not exist. The drug is not an amphetamine that does cause psychosis.

Uses and risks of amphetamine

Amphetamines are central nervous system (CNS) stimulants. They are used to treat ADHD and narcolepsy. Adverse effects include restlessness, acne, and blurred vision . Rarer side effects include seizures, heart problems, and psychosis.

Amphetamine is a powerful stimulator of the central nervous system. It is used to treat some medical conditions, but it is also highly addictive, with a history of abuse.

Interestingly one qualified medical marijuana user still faces the possibility of arrest and incarceration and accuses the Federal Government of being schizophrenic. Now that is a turn around.

The absolutes being thrown back and forth in this thread are getting annoying.

https://www.nature.com/articles/mp2016252