Marijuana news

The whole thread is tiresome, because marijuana isn’t a miracle drug and it should be treated like medicine (that cannot cure everything and anything) and like tobacco and alcohol too. It’s not the perfect drug and not everyone can do marijuana. To think that it is and that it’s great for everyone is nieve.

BTW, great article, Lausten. It’s a good example of how it’s not necessarily good for everyone.

1 Like

Sir. I can’t see where I’m guilty of that, not even by am order of magnitude or two, but if that’s your moderating perception.

I very much appreciate this:

Which the literature differentiates by the large complex of drugs. Any one of which will have a plethora of effects, agonistic and an antagonistic, according to dose and subject.

It’s my personal opinion. There isn’t a rule against annoying, unless it’s harassment, which you’re not. Id like to see everyone attempt to understand each other, and not entrench themselves in one corner of an issue, but that’s a lot to ask

1 Like

This conversation reminded me of some I’ve had where the facts and logic were just lost. I have examples from Left and Right, but I’ll use this one from the Right. It was a public discussion about election fraud, about a year ago. Both sides were allowed equal time, and there wasn’t much debate, the questions were highly moderated.

I didn’t get picked to talk during the conference call, so I followed up on social media. I responded to a guy who had said he was a ballot counter and he saw some anomalies, and he tried to say something but he got kicked out, fired from the volunteer position. He called this evidence of fraud.

I pointed out the system is designed to handle exactly what he reported, and there were Republicans and Democrats present and if something was going on, it would have been escalated and, at the very least, we all could have read about somewhere. But he was just one guy, making a conclusion, and no one around him agreed with him. Either, there really is a conspiracy, or he was wrong.

I got a lot of flack for that comment. It wasn’t anything about my logic. It was that I was not listening to this one guy, that I should respect his experience. Those comments dismissed any of the other people who had the same experience and didn’t see fraud.

This is the kind of discussion that can’t result in a solution. Whatever facts of subtleties I might be missing won’t come out if the focus is on accepting the personal experience of one person, above all else.

1 Like

Current update:

In the United States`

(https://en.wikipedia.org/`wiki/Cannabis_in_the_United_States), the use of cannabis for medical purposes is legal in 37 states, four out of five permanently inhabited U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia, as of February 2022.[1] Eleven other states have more restrictive laws limiting THC content, for the purpose of allowing access to products that are rich in cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychoactive component of cannabis.[1] There is significant variation in medical cannabis laws from state to state, including how it is produced and distributed, how it can be consumed, and what medical conditions it can be used for.[2]

Legality of cannabis in the United States
Blue: Legal for recreational use
Green: Legal for medical use
Grey: Illegal
D Decriminalized

Research[edit]

As a Schedule I drug in the U.S., clinical research on cannabis must be approved by the Food and Drug Administration, and a license (also referred to as a “registration”) must be obtained from the Drug Enforcement Administration specific to conducting research on Schedule I drugs.

The petition to the FDA is submitted in the form of an Investigational New Drug application,[26] which the FDA has 30 days to respond to.[83] DEA research registrations are issued for Schedule I and Schedule II–V drugs,[26] with the Schedule I registration mandating stricter compliance requirements such as the manner in which substances are stored and secured.[84]

The DEA licensing process can take over a year to complete.[85][86]

IMO, if it was proven that marijuana is indeed a harmful addictive drug the Feds would never have allowed legalization. The State love it because because the tax revenue pays for all kinds of healthcare services.

Yeah, that would mean nicotine and alcohol are not harmful and/or addictive. No, it’s another way to make money, not just for government, but large corporations. RJ Reynolds has their hand in Maryjane and ready to make it just as bad as tobacco, if not worse, but they don’t actually want that news to get out to the public.

I hear what you are saying, but it is a somewhat unfair comparison. Modern day alcoholic drinks are highly refined (distilled) variations from fermented grains (mead), much as fentanyl is a refined opioid and modern tobacco is laced with deadly ingredients in cigarettes.

When burned, cigarettes create more than 7,000 chemicals. At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are toxic.

Many of these chemicals also are found in consumer products, but these products have warning labels—such as rat poison packaging. While the public is warned about the danger of the poisons in these products, there is no such warning for the toxins in tobacco smoke.

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke and other places they are found:

• Acetone —found in nail polish remover
  • Acetic acid —an ingredient in hair dye
  • Ammonia —a common household cleaner
  • Arsenic —used in rat poison
  • Benzene —found in rubber cement and gasoline
  • Butane —used in lighter fluid
  • Cadmium —active component in battery acid
  • Carbon monoxide —released in car exhaust fumes
  • Formaldehyde —embalming fluid
  • Hexamine —found in barbecue lighter fluid
  • Lead —used in batteries
  • Naphthalene —an ingredient in mothballs
  • Methanol —a main component in rocket fuel
  • Nicotine—used as an insecticide
  • Tar —material for paving roads
  • Toluene —used to manufacture paint

OTOH, marijuana has been used for millenia in unaltered form, especially for religious ritual, except that modern marijuana has been selectively bred for additional psychotropic potency, but also for more potent medicinal properties.

But to my knowledge all commercial marijuana is just unadulterated “dried leaves” and “buds” and not physically addictive, although in some individuals heavy use may result in psychological dependence.
But that is not an inherent flaw of the psychotropic effects of marijuana as much as the result of an individual addictive personality.

No, it’s not, because it’s true and Big tobacco is taking it over, making it worse. Maybe you’ll find out soon or maybe you’ll never find out, because you don’t want to believe it, but it is true, marijuana, when smoked, damages the lungs and also causes lung cancer. It’s is just as tobacco and will be just as bad when Big Tobacco gets done with it. And BTW, when you add fire, more chemicals than originally were in it are created. That said, just imagine what happens when Big Tobacco gets done with it and trust me, they are snatching it up.

Oh I agree, but that is a whole different scenario.
They will start adding addictive substances and then MJ will be as deadly as cigarettes.
Hopefully there will always be dedicated dispensaries.

Even a regular user of MJ stokes up maybe 3 joints p/day, whereas a heavy smoker may smoke 1 1/2 pack (30 ) cigarettes p/day.

The effects of MJ are much longer lasting than nicotine. You smoke less not more.
Of course, all smoke is bad for your lungs. Sitting around a campfire is bad for your lungs. IMO, the argument that smoke is bad for your lungs in general is not a persasive argument against the judicious use of MJ . Jogging in Los Angeles is bad for your lungs.

Interestingly, I have never heard of a doctor prescribing cigarettes for a health problem, but there seems to be a definitive use for medical MJ, and prescriptions for a range of physical and psychological conditions is now routinely scripted by many physicians in many states.

It is definitely effective for control of Alzheimer’s, Autism, Epilepsy, Parkinson’s, some of the most dread mental diseases of mankind.

A Review on Studies of Marijuana for Alzheimer’s Disease – Focusing on CBD, THC

Results

These results implied that the CBD components of cannabis might be useful to treat and prevent AD because CBD components could suppress the main causal factors of AD. Moreover, it was suggested that using CBD and THC together could be more useful than using CBD or THC alone.

Conclusion

We hope that there will be a solid foundation to use cannabis for medical use by continuously evaluating the possibility of using cannabis for clinical purposes as a dementia treatment substance and cannabis can be used as a positive tool.

Please understand that I am against the “abuse” of any substance. Excess use of anything tends to interfere with homeostasis and can result in adverse effects.

You can keep bringing up studies from questionable sources, but I can pull up studies from Medscape, NEJM, JAMA, etc that says it does cause Alzheimer’s, dementia, lung cancer, and other diseases. It may help in the short term, but just like tobacco for asthma (yes, there were doctors in the past who recommended smoking tobacco for asthma) it is only short term. Anytime you light fire to a substance, even marijuana, other chemicals develop. That is the facts of the matter, but since you are so gungho on Maryjane and spreading partial truths about it, instead of the whole truth, what’s the point? In a few years, you’ll either be dead, probably not from Maryjane, or the damage will be done, maybe not for you, but someone will have the damage.

BTW, I’ve also seen all the stuff you are posting about tobacco, so what’s the point of posting that? It applies to anything you light and inhale, due to the chemicals that develop due to lighting it. However, you aren’t providing links to your sources on CBD, which is only one chemical in MJ. THC is another. THC is what gives people the high. CBD does not. Again though, smoked or vape, CBD or THC, more chemicals develop causing lung damage and even cancer.

No, I specifically listed the stuff they artificially put in cigarette tobacco, that when burnt causes 1700 harmful chemicals to form.

THC and CBD are naturally occurring biochemicals in different strains of marijuana, Cannabis and Hemp, which have psychotropic and physiological effects respectively. Otherwise, marijuana is not altered or augmented in any way. The leaves are dried and ground for medical CBD products, the buds are kept as fresh as possible to conserve THC for psychotropic uses.

I am not gung ho on MJ, but there is entirely too much false-negative misinformation floating around. I am trying to provide an objective field of inquiry instead of combatting “reefer madness”, if you want to cite talking about “questionable” sources.

Cannabis and hemp plants contain both CBD and THC along with more than 540 other substances. The main difference between the two plants is the amount of each compound they contain.
Cannabis contains more THC, and less CBD. Hemp contains more CBD and less THC.

The point is that both Cannabis and Hemp do not need to be smoked at all, but can be taken in many forms, for slower but longer lasting effects than smoking cannabis, with immediate effect in the brain

1 Like

And it’s the same when you burn any other drug. The fire creates more chemicals and I understand what you listed specifically. The same thing happens when you light up a joint.

You are and you are pushing misinformation, which I wish people wouldn’t do, but if I have to, I will go and dig up the articles I saw in most recent months from Medscape etc. Shutting down your thread would only cause more problems, but posting medical sources probably won’t stop you either. You just don’t care because you seem to like MJ and nothing I post from Medscape, JAMA, NEJM, etc will change that, but it might keep someone else from going gung ho about it.

Good grief Mriana, shutting down this thread for misinformation?

If you have reliable information contrary to what I am “quoting” accompanied by links to what I believe to be reliable information sites, please do post .

I have agreed with you on several points, but you completely ignored the point that THC or CBD do not necessarily need to be burnt to be effective, rendering the lung cancer argument moot.

OTOH I don’t see any serious discussions on the pervasive use of High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) in almost everything you find in the Supermarket, being the cause for multiple deadly health issues.

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a sweetener commonly used to enhance the flavor of foods and beverages.
But diets rich in HFCS have been linked to health concerns, including fatty liver, high triglycerides, insulin resistance, high blood sugar, and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes (1Trusted Source, 2Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source).

12 Common Foods with High Fructose Corn Syrup

• Candy. …
  • Packaged sweets. …
  • Soda. …
  • Juice drinks. …
  • Fast food. …
  • Sauces and other condiments. …
  • Ice cream and ice pops. …
  • Breakfast foods.

More items…
30 Aug 2021

My point is that the judicious use of medical marijuana has many identified health benefits and should not be singled out as a “forbidden fruit” when there are truly deadly products on the shelves at supermarkets, mislabeled and advertised as “healthy food” and sold to your kids .

The only person I have heard strongly criticise HFCS is Bill Maher. Yet he is very much in favor of legalized marijuana.

It’s late here, so I’ll do more looking for the articles concerning lung disease and MJ. That said, here’s some concerning MJ triggering psychiatric problems:

Schizophrenia:

DSM-IV mental health and cannabis use:

Blockquote SM-5 recognizes the following 5 cannabis-associated disorders [[12](javascript:void(0);)] :

• Cannabis Use Disorder
  • Cannabis Intoxication
  • Cannabis Withdrawal
  • Other Cannabis-Induced Disorders
  • Unspecified Cannabis-Related Disorder

Heart disease:

Cannabis hyperemesis syndrome (CHS)

Cannabis vaping and respiratory issues in teens:

Blockquote In a fully-adjusted model, teens who had ever vaped cannabis had higher odds of five respiratory symptoms in the past year, compared with those with no history of cannabis vaping: wheezing or whistling in the chest (adjusted odds ratio, 1.81); sleep disturbed by wheezing or whistling (AOR, 1.71); speech limited because of wheezing (AOR, 1.96); wheezy during and after exercise (AOR, 1.33), and a dry cough at night independent of a cold or chest infection (AOR, 1.26).

Neither e-cigarettes nor cigarettes were significantly associated with any of these five respiratory symptoms in the fully adjusted models. In addition, “past 30-day use of cigarettes, e-cigarettes and cannabis use were associated with some respiratory symptoms in bivariate analyses but not in the adjusted models,” the researchers noted. In addition, the associations of an asthma diagnosis and respiratory symptoms had greater magnitudes than either cigarette, e-cigarette, and cannabis use or vaping cannabis with ENDS.

MJ use after aneurysms:

Possible relationship between MJ and suicidal ideation:

THC and CBD psychiatric symptoms:

Cardiovascular disease and Cannabis use:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/966500

Just like tobacco, longer recovery/poorer outcomes with surgery such as knee and hip:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/958047

Brain health:

Blockquote"Prenatal THC affects neuroanatomic areas associated with cognition and emotional regulation, including the prefrontal cortex, limbic system, and ventral tegmentum of the midbrain," the researchers added.

The writing panel also found that marijuana use had effects on human cognition:

Acute marijuana use affects impulsivity, memory, and behaviorial disinhibition, they note, that “can affect performance in real-world activities,” such as driving. The long-term effects of cannabis on cognition are “less well established.”

Neuroimaging research has highlighted structural changes in the brain, but these data are inconsistent.

Functional MRI studies show cannabis users may experience functional changes in regions of the brain that play a role in cognition, particularly with prolonged use.

The statement also addresses studies assessing the effects of marijuana use on cerebrovascular risk and disease, which show:

A relation between cannabis use and increased risk for stroke

Frequency and other trends of cannabis use may raise stroke risk

Cannabis users often smoke cigarettes, which is an important factor in the association between cannabis use and stroke risk.

Effects on pregnancy and neonatal (not good):

They say it decreases Morning Sickness, but actually, it increases vomiting and nausea:

Adverse Neonatal outcomes:

This is just Medscape. JAMA and NEJM may or may not have free articles concerning marijuana, but I can check that tomorrow sometime for freebies.

Science Daily has an article concerning brain health too, but it basically says similar to the above: How does cannabis use affect brain health? Caution advised, more research needed, experts say | ScienceDaily

1 Like

High fructose corn syrup is also bad for one’s health and it is starting to be taken out of many, if not most foods, but that is another subject. All one has to do is eat it like it has been eaten for the last few decades and they can end up with health issues, especially obesity, which leads to diabetes, heart disease, and even stroke. I digress from the topic though, but I will add this- if one is going to eat pot brownies, get them without high fructose corn syrup.

1 Like

A very active site such as http://www.benzobuddies.org/ should give at least an inkling of the problem. It’s really unfortunate that pharmaceutical companies don’t manufacture and offer distribution of smaller quantities to help patients with cessation. Some of these people must micro-taper in order to cope with withdrawal. I’ve seen video clips in which patients have resorted to buying scales to measure out micro-doses, keeping detailed logs of their dosing.