Marijuana news

The former leader of the Conservative Party, William Hague, has gone further, saying current British law is not only “inappropriate, ineffective and utterly out of date”, but that the government should look to Canada, which is on the cusp of legalising the drug for recreational use in additional to medical use.

Labour has said they would make medical cannabis legal in Britain, and as the pressure mounts, there is now the prospect of a change in legislation for the first time since the drug was upgraded from a class C drug to class B by Gordon Brown’s government in 2009.

We should fight for our right, and the legalization of medical marijuana all over

1 Like

Moreover, in the US we should legalize the growing of Hemp (non-psychotropic marijuana) for industrial use.

The benefits of Hemp are too many to count.

All in all, Cannabis is a wonderfully versatile plant that has many, many beneficial uses.

My guess is that it’s been the alcohol/beverage companies fighting against mj (as well as the hypocrits on the religious side). As soon as more people find out how much better it is than alcohol (no hangover, no spinning room, etc.) the booze industry is going to be in for a shock.

I am totally against the localisation of Marijana.

The Marijana sold nowadays in Europe is much more addictive and much more dangerous that the strains we used in our youth.

My brother was a teacher. Teaching at 08 H 30 AM, a part of his class was stoned unable to follow the course.

Effects of Marijana on the brain of youth people is highly destructive.

To legalize Marijuana means to legitimate it.

[Cannabis (Marijuana) DrugFacts | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)]

1 Like

Marijuana is not addictive any more than coca cola and certainly much less addictive than alcohol.

[Is marijuana addictive? | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)]

[Addiction and Substance Abuse Health Center]

I could go on for a long time, serious scientists agree.

Don’t believe everything is currently told, by people having an interest in it.

1 Like

I think, now that it’s been legalized, at least for medical purposes, in most states, we’ll be learning more about it. One definitely should not smoke and drive or drive while inebriated on it. It’s not good for pregnant women (actually the growing fetus it’s not good for). The earlier a kid starts smoking their brain growth gets stunted, as well as prevents them from learning. Basically, except for driving while high on it, everything is about fetuses and child development.

1 Like

One thing is known that marijuana (a non-opioid cannabinoid) is not physically addictive as is the case with opioids.

Any addition becomes a psychological problem and an “addictive personality” can get addicted to many different substances.

Many people are addicted to Coca Cola, coffee, tea, sugar, ice cream, chocolate.
Those are all psychologically satisfying substances and are often abused as is evident by the pervasive condition of obesity, most often a result of over-indulgence.

In fact marijuana has been prescribed to cured opioid addiction.

I speak from experience. Never abused it and haven’t touched it in several years now.
Never had a single adverse emotional or physical withdrawal symptom.

Emerging Evidence for Cannabis’ Role in Opioid Use Disorder

Abstract

Introduction:

> The opioid epidemic has become an immense problem in North America, and despite decades of research on the most effective means to treat opioid use disorder (OUD), overdose deaths are at an all-time high, and relapse remains pervasive.

Discussion:

Although there are a number of FDA-approved opioid replacement therapies and maintenance medications to help ease the severity of opioid withdrawal symptoms and aid in relapse prevention, these medications are not risk free nor are they successful for all patients. Furthermore, there are legal and logistical bottlenecks to obtaining traditional opioid replacement therapies such as methadone or buprenorphine, and the demand for these services far outweighs the supply and access.

To fill the gap between efficacious OUD treatments and the widespread prevalence of misuse, relapse, and overdose, the development of novel, alternative, or adjunct OUD treatment therapies is highly warranted. In this article, we review emerging evidence that suggests that cannabis may play a role in ameliorating the impact of OUD. Herein, we highlight knowledge gaps and discuss cannabis’ potential to prevent opioid misuse (as an analgesic alternative), alleviate opioid withdrawal symptoms, and decrease the likelihood of relapse.

Conclusion: The compelling nature of these data and the relative safety profile of cannabis warrant further exploration of cannabis as an adjunct or alternative treatment for OUD. Emerging Evidence for Cannabis' Role in Opioid Use Disorder - PMC

Encouraging the use of a powerful carcinogen with psychiatric effects is negligent homicide.

What exactly do you know about marijuana, a medicinal plant that has been used for thousands of years ?

Uses of medical marijuana

The most common use for medical marijuana in the United States is for pain control. While marijuana isn’t strong enough for severe pain (for example, post-surgical pain or a broken bone), it is quite effective for the chronic pain that plagues millions of Americans, especially as they age. Part of its allure is that it is clearly safer than opiates (it is impossible to overdose on and far less addictive) and it can take the place of NSAIDs such as Advil or Aleve, if people can’t take them due to problems with their kidneys or ulcers or GERD.

In particular, marijuana appears to ease the pain of multiple sclerosis, and nerve pain in

general. This is an area where few other options exist, and those that do, such as Neurontin, Lyrica, or opiates are highly sedating. Patients claim that marijuana allows them to resume their previous activities without feeling completely out of it and disengaged.

Along these lines, marijuana is said to be a fantastic muscle relaxant, and people swear by its ability to lessen tremors in [Parkinson’s disease]

(The facts about Parkinson’s Disease - Harvard Health). I have also heard of its use quite successfully for fibromyalgia, endometriosis, interstitial cystitis, and most other conditions where the final common pathway is chronic pain.

Marijuana is also used to manage nausea and weight loss and can be used to treat glaucoma. A highly promising area of research is its use for PTSD in veterans who are returning from combat zones. Many veterans and their therapists report drastic improvement and clamor for more studies, and for a loosening of governmental restrictions on its study. Medical marijuana is also reported to help patients suffering from pain and wasting syndrome associated with HIV, as well as irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn’s disease.

This is not intended to be an inclusive list, but rather to give a brief survey of the types of conditions for which medical marijuana can provide relief. As with all remedies, claims of effectiveness should be critically evaluated and treated with caution. Medical marijuana - Harvard Health

The only thing I encourage is the cultivation of industrial hemp. As to the recreational use of marijuana, I do not encourage it. I do object to lumping this relatively harmless psychotropic plant in with herion and opium as a Schedule 1 substance.

I am not aware of anyone ever dying from marijuana overdose. As to the carcinogenic properties, all smoke is carcinogenic. Do you want to outlaw camp-fires, combustion engines?

As to the medicinal use of marijuana , ask anyone with glaucoma, or epilepsy or Parkinson’s, autism, nausea after radiation treatment (speaking of cancer).

This classification was used for political purposes and has no objective benefit to the general population

House Takes Historic Vote to Remove Cannabis from the Controlled Substances Act

You know nothing that I don’t.

Have you ever smoked high grade marijuana in good company?
Have you ever seen an severy autistic child calm down and relax from the agony of uncontrolled behavior?

If not you know absolutely nothing.

Stop projecting and clapping with one hand.

Well, you may want to hear some more applause.

Your problem is that you associate marijuana with drug addiction.
When used discretely IT ISN’T ADDICTIVE in any sense as would be with an opioid.

Everything done to excess is harmful and you cannot separate marijuana from any other abuse of any substance. An addictive personality will always become addicted to something.
Just compare THC with Nicotine and you’ll see the difference.

Instead of minimizing the harmful effects of smoking tobacco, they have replaced cigarettes with vaporizers to feed the nicotine addiction with ever increasing volume.

By Federal law, Doctors can prescribe the most dangerous opioids and benzodiazepines, often leading to addiction, but cannot prescribe marijuana (THC) for any reason, even though there is no evidence of harmful effects of marijuana, aside from the harmful effects of smoke (any smoke), which can be avoided by using different delivery mechanisms like salads, teas, cookies, candy.

Fortunately the law prohibiting marijuana is seldom enforced in states that have declared exempt from Federal oversight in matters of political controls, much like the purpose of the Establishment Clause.

After several years of legalized marijuana use in many states, where is the data that shows ANY persistent harmful effects? There isn’t any because there are very few harmful effects even from the regular (but discrete) use.

Not my problem. Statistics associate marijuana with psychosis, with intellectual impairment, with lung cancer etc, etc.

1 Like

Not my problem. Statistics associate marijuana with psychosis, with intellectual impairment, with lung cancer etc, etc.

Prove it!

I’ll have to find it, but actually, a child really shouldn’t use marijuana any more than they should use alcohol, because it does affect their developing brain and makes it difficult to learn new things. Marijuana also has an affect on short term memory.

I really tire of those who think they know everything about marijuana. Without more studies, none of us really know anything about it, except how it makes them feel. Right now, it’s really in the experimental phase.

As for using it, I can’t use marijuana because I’m allergic to the weed. The smoke gives me asthma-like attacks. The same with my older son. Neither one of can be around it without breathing difficulties. So I don’t think it should be smoked like we smoked tobacco before the 80s. There’s also the fact that it makes your clothes and hair smell funky.

That said, I don’t disagree that it should be removed from controlled substances, sold like alcohol and cigs (taxes and over 21), and used for medical and scientific research purposes. I have no argument with you on that, but despite that, it does have a possibility of causing lung cancer. Anytime one lights something up, they are creating more chemicals than just that in the fire and the substances being smoked.

1 Like

[is marijuana linked to psychosis schizophrenia usa today - Google Search]

[Weed and psychosis: Does high THC lead to suicide, schizophrenia?]

[marijuana psychose scizophrenai - Google Search]

To know if one is addicted, there is an easy test, do not use the item and look at the effects. How long can you stay off it.

My wife, a lawyer, working with associates. She had the habit to employ as assistants young people with social difficulties. Some of them were addicted to Marijuana.

One used to smoke before coming to work. It took weeks to obtain that he did not smoke Marijuana before work. He was totally ineffective for the full morning. Incidentally, his co workers fought to obtain that he washes every day and change clothes.

We know his parents and his family. Before smoking he was a regular young, well educated and socialized.

I have given the example of my brother students. being 16 years old, they smoke so much that they are unable to learn and lost in a mental maze.

quote=“mriana, post:18, topic:8070”]
I’ll have to find it, but actually, a child really shouldn’t use marijuana any more than they should use alcohol, because it does affect their developing brain and makes it difficult to learn new things. Marijuana also has an affect on short term memory.

What are you talking about? Healthy children should not use marijuana?
Of course they shouldn’t, they don’t need it! But we are not talking about healthy children.

This is what we are talking about.

If they don’t kill themselves they destroy entire families with their constant need for supervision. The only prescriptions that is available for autism is risperidone. And this is what the drug does to the longe term user, in addition to increased dosing for tolerance;

What are the long-term effects of taking risperidone?

There are certain long-term side effects of taking risperidone, which develop over time with more exposure to the medication. These long-term side effects can include changes in heart rhythm, weight gain, high blood sugar, and tardive dyskinesia .Jun 16, 2020 https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/prescription/what-are-the-long-term-side-effects-of-taking-risperidone/

[quote=“mriana, post:18, topic:8070”]
I have no argument with you on that, but despite that, it does have a possibility of causing lung cancer. Anytime one lights something up, they are creating more chemicals than just that in the fire and the substances being smoked.

None of that is an unavoidable problem. Cannabinoids can be administered in many different way.