Joe Biden's version of Unity

So, in his speech Biden tells us to “hear me out and take measure of me.” Translation in context: let me talk and you will find out I’m right and you are wrong and so you must change over to my way. This unilateral “unity“, is called “my way or the highway”.

One might think that a guy who claims to be President for all the people would have said something like “I will listen to everyone and do what is best for all.“ Nowhere in his speech was there a hint of any desire for, or even a tolerance of, two-way communication.

There was only the one word in the poem by the young lady that got past the editors. Nowhere else in any of the speeches, in any of the prayers, or in any of the songs was there even a reference to the word “reconcile”. That naïve young lady said that reconcile is something we do. That sort of innocence was both refreshing and sad; a lone flower in a field of thorns.

True unity can be achieved only with reconciliation. Reconciliation can be achieved only with forgiveness. The speeches, prayers and songs could not have included any calls for reconciliation or forgiveness without bringing attention to the hypocrisy of any such calls in the context of the pending impeachment.

No, nothing could be said which might weaken the resolve of the CINOs on the platform to persecute Trump. CINOs, Christians In Name Only, don’t accept, as true Christians do, that we are forgiven our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. VP Pence’s presence on the platform served to highlight that difference.

Biden’s supporters must have been thrilled to see such a pageant of pretense and deceit. The hand on a Bible, swearing an oath all only to get votes and dollars from the fools who actually believe such nonsense. What a coup, wrapped with prayers and finished off with pomp and ceremony music.

Biden’s version of unity seems to be where, following a conflict, one side surrenders unconditionally and submits to the winner without representation or participation. That’s what happened after the first US Civil War and it looks like that’s what Biden wants now.

The best measure of how well that surrender and submission policy brought “unity” is the continued presence throughout the country - for the last one hundred and fifty years - of the Confederate battle flag. Biden seems to think that his side has won the second US “Un-Civil” War and is apparently willing to condemn us to another multi-generation period of non-unity by employing the same failed policy.

Translation in context: let me talk and you will find out I’m right and you are wrong and so you must change over to my way. This unilateral “unity“, is called “my way or the highway”.

Seriously? That’s what you heard?

Personally, I’m thrilled with his platform, but too bad the Repugs are going to block any of it from happening at every turn. I love the diversity in his administration. It looks a lot like what we had while my sons were growing up. IMHO, he is doing what is best for all.

As for Amanda, the poet, she will be another Maya Angelou. She is great, a wordsmith, graduated Cum laude, an award winning poet, a Poet Laureate. A very talented woman. I can’t understand how one couldn’t like her. That said, everyone was promised a rose garden. That what life is- a rose garden, full of beauty and thorns, with life and death and more. Again her poem was just a poem, which has beauty to it. It was very nice and I can see what she was given the award/title of Poet Laureate.

https://www.theamandagorman.com/

I can measure her to Miss Angelou, because I like her work too. That and I enjoy literature and writing myself. Again, I can’t fathom the criticism about her. I hardly think she is nieve. We have to reconcile or nothing gets better. That said, as individuals we reconcile in one way or the other every day. That and it was was a poem. Just a wonderful and beautiful poem.

https://www.theamandagorman.com/

Forgiveness doesn’t mean one gets away scot free. One can be forgiven, but they still need to have consequences or they will never learn and will just do it again.

Biden’s supporters must have been thrilled to see such a pageant of pretense and deceit.

Not sure what you mean by that. President Biden will try to do what he promised, BUT he is not the only one who approves what he does. We have the House and the Senate too, with stupid Repugs who only care about greed, corporate greed, and lining their pockets with money. They don’t want the common people to have anything, not even health.

Actually, I would have preferred President Biden and VP Harris took the oath on the Constitution, because that is what our government is really about. No religious book should be involved in the swearing in of the President or any government official due to Separation of Church and State. One can legally swear on the Constitution or even the Quran, if they so choose. Personally, I really don’t care if one is “CINO”, as long as they do not violate the First Amendment and establish a religion for the U.S. The forefounders did not want this country ran by religion.

The Biden Administration did not do a coup. The Dotard and his minions did attempt a coup though and should go to prison, as per Federal Law, for it. The bad thing is, you sound like a Dotard supporter and the dotard supporters are so brainwashed, they can’t see reality.

“my way or the highway”.
Sound familiar?
VP Pence’s presence on the platform served to highlight that difference.
I think trumps absence sent a bigger message.
The hand on a Bible, swearing an oath all only to get votes and dollars from the fools who actually believe such nonsense.
OK, lets count the number of campaign rallies Biden has in the next 12 months, and we'll see who the fools are (were) giving money to fake-rich politicians begging for votes and dollars ... and glory and admiration
Biden’s version of unity seems to be where, following a conflict, one side surrenders unconditionally and submits to the winner without representation or participation.
You do realize GOPers are still in congress, don't you?

Where was all this crying for unity and forgiveness when trump was in the house?

Translation in context: let me talk and you will find out I’m right and you are wrong and so you must change over to my way. This unilateral

Well you know, the problem is that you live on a diet of deception and lies.

Yes, for you to listen to what others have to say, and to assess the facts, would require powering down on your self-certitude, and even finding that some of your assumptions are wrong, and that you need to do some learning and growing.

I know some will point out that stating it so frank is no way to get anyone to second-guess their self-certitude. But, coddling the manufacturers of deliberate self-delusion and deception about critically important matters hasn’t worked for a damned. Though, considering these delusionals, in their hearts, just want to destroy all who aren’t like them - look no further than the games Republican Senators are right back at - I think a stand still needs to be taken.

Honesty matters! Learning and change also matter.

The greatest threat to our democracy today is a Republican Party that plays dirty to win.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/opinion/republicans-democracy-play-dirty.html

They fear that if they stick to the rules, they will lose everything. Their behavior is a threat to democratic stability.

By Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt, Sept. 20, 2019

The party’s abandonment of fair play was showcased spectacularly in 2016, when the United States Senate refused to allow President Barack Obama to fill the Supreme Court vacancy created by Justice Antonin Scalia’s death in February. While technically constitutional, the act — in effect, stealing a court seat — hadn’t been tried since the 19th century. It would be bad enough on its own, but the Merrick Garland affair is part of a broader pattern.

Republicans across the country seem to have embraced an “any means necessary” strategy to preserve their power. …

Mr. Levitsky and Mr. Ziblatt are political scientists and the authors of “How Democracies Die.”
Where was all this crying for unity and forgiveness when trump was in the house?

… trump made his political bones by peddling, deliberately, strategically, tactically, the fabricated lie that President Obama wasn’t a natural born American.

But people were supposed to turn a blind eye to that?

… trump was a well know crook and liar with decades worth of a public facing wrap sheet.

… trump was a recognized sexist and racist and oh so braggadocious pussy grabber.

… trump never make a promise or contract he wouldn’t gleefully break.

… trump hates reading and is proud of not knowing anything about history, law, science, or government.

… trump is an obviously over the top narcissist, and egomaniac who’s incapable of relating to anything that does not directly impact him.

… trump used bankruptcy as a business strategy.

… trump ran criminal enterprises, such as that phony “college” of his, among others.

… all indications were and continue to be that trump cheats on his taxes and makes up his profits and loss statements to suit his fantasy.

… trump let all America know that his heroes were the likes of Putin and other strongman dictators.

… All indications were that trump has been financially bailed out and is beholden to Russian interests. (fyi. TheMoscowProject.org)

etc.

etc.

This list can easily be extend, both in scope and with data dumps to articles that provide substantiating evidence for the above claims.

But, who cares? Besides, I’d better run along and turn my attention to other things.

Politics is, by definition, division; without it there would be no politics.

When anyone, especially a politician (and even our new POTUS), begins talking about unity I become immediately skeptical.

If unity has ever been achieved on the political or larger social scale, it has only ever been temporary because it is unattainable in my observation, study, and experience.

I suppose an argument could be made that this administration will be a historical exception in this respect.

“I know speaking of unity can sound to some like a foolish fantasy these days,” Biden said. “I know the forces that divide us are deep and they are real. But I also know they are not new. Our history has been a constant struggle between the American ideal that we all are created equal and the harsh, ugly reality that racism, nativism, fear, demonization have long torn us apart.”

"But the American story depends not on any one of us, not on some of us, but on all of us.

On “We the People” who seek a more perfect Union."

"I ask every American to join me in this cause.

Uniting to fight the common foes we face:

Anger, resentment, hatred.

Extremism, lawlessness, violence.

Disease, joblessness, hopelessness.

With unity we can do great things. Important things."

"And so today, at this time and in this place, let us start afresh.

All of us.

Let us listen to one another.

Hear one another.
See one another.

Show respect to one another."

Are these the words you were listening for?

Democracy and unity does not mean every one agreeing about every thing. It means respectful debate.

Respectful debate needs, among other things:

• no insults but respecting everyone, whatever be his ideas, his person, his way of living, and so one ( race, gender, sexual orientation, religion or lack of it and so)as long as he respects the laws.
  • ability to defends one's position, with temperate words, and without lying, or making demagogic promises,
  • respecting the rules of debate and abiding the decision of the majority, and for the majority respecting opposition, and its right, for both ability to exchange and to compromise,
  • respect of fundamental freedom and rights,

Let us listen to one another.

Hear one another.
See one another.

Show respect to one another.”

If he said that, I must have missed it. Nice words. We’ll see if he walks the walk or just continues the talk. So far all I have seen is the latter.

We can listen, hear, see and respect one another without accomplishing anything. Those actions won’t do anything without reconciliation other than maybe buying him some time to get his cabinet installed. Biden is an old-time politician; he is experienced in promising much and delivering little.

The pending impeachment is evidence that the Dems are not interested in unity. The latest I hear is that they want to keep the Guard on site until the impeachment is over. They recognize just how very divisive it will be and they want to be ready for massive protests.

It looks like a coup to most of the 74 million voters in the country who voted for Trump; it must look that way to millions outside the country. Of course the Dems don’t give a rip what it looks like as long as they take power.

If reconciliation is to come, it will come in two years when the Repubs take the House and the Senate. Biden will sing a different song then.

It looks like a coup to most of the 74 million voters in the country who voted for Trump;
Pretty sure most of those people understand how elections work. I have heard the peaceful transition of power compared to a revolution, but it's a revolution that we have every four years, without guns. Trump did not understand how it works. It's one of the many reasons I did not vote for him.
The pending impeachment is evidence that the Dems are not interested in unity.
Unity requires an agreed upon set of rules, like not lying about an election being rigged and telling people you won't leave the White House without a "fight".
It looks like a coup to most of the 74 million voters in the country who voted for Trump; it must look that way to millions outside the country. Of course the Dems don’t give a rip what it looks like as long as they take power.
It looked like a coup for the 80 million people who voted for Biden, and for the billions of people outside the country.

What you conveniently overlook is that anything criminal Trump accused others of, is exactly what he was engaged in at the very same time. All the people who were convicted of crimes, committed those crimes at Trump’s behalf. That;s why he pardoned them. It was a criminal quid pro quo to begin with; “You take the rap for me and I’ll pardon you in the end”, and that’s exactly what happened unless you want to blindly deny this too.

Trump is, was, and always will always be a criminal, whether you have confidence in him or not. Trump destroys everything he comes in contact with. He has caused more misery than any prior president and his presidency will go down history in infamy.

Trump is, was, and always will always be ...
And so much for any prospect for unity.

Just remember, if Trump can be impeached after he has left office, so can Biden or any other former President. We won’t need a reason, just a majority in the House.

@ibelieveinlogic The dotard committed a crime and that is the reason for his impeachment. He committed many crimes, but in this case, he is being impeached for sedition, insurrection, and inciting violence in order to insurrect. I serious doubt President Biden, a real president, will commit crimes in which to be impeached. There are rules about impeachment, which includes impeaching them for crimes even after they left office, BUT, as with other crimes, there is also a statute of limitations, I’m sure. Thus, why we have get the dotard, a fake president, just before he left and continue just after he is out, not months later. This is why the House wanted to get started just before he left and why the Senate is try him right now. Not just anyone can be impeached… Although, I guess they can be impeached from anything, including immoral behaviours, like President Clinton was. The Repugs had to impeach over infidelity? That should have been between President Clinton, the Bimbo, and his wife Hillary, not President Clinton and the Nation.

well, the dotard :wink: was able to wait out one of his crimes:

The Supreme Court declined on Monday to hear a case concerning whether former President Donald Trump violated provisions of the Constitution that bar a president from profiting from a foreign government. The court instructed the lower courts to wipe away previous lower court opinions that went against Trump because he is no longer in office

Just remember, if Trump can be impeached after he has left office, so can Biden or any other former President.
So you are saying nothing that you've seen trump doing, is cause for concern, or worth calling out as unacceptable?

Seriously???

So you are saying ...
This is one of the most bizarre statements in a year of bizarre statements that is within a 4-year administration of bizarre statements.

It is a statement that what the Democrats are doing is within the guidelines, principles and the spirit of the Constitution as written by the founders. That is to be celebrated. I live here because it’s true. Because we use our Constitution to prevent despotic, would-be kings from ever having a chance to rise to power again.

So you are saying …
A man cannot be removed from office when he is already out of office. Duh.

Trying to prevent Trump from running again is purely a political attack. The Dems know he will win in 2024 unless they can keep him from running. The Constitution does not provide impeachment as a means for one party to prevent candidates from another party from running for office.

Everyone knows this impeachment will fail just like the last one. It is nothing but a show, just like the last one. I will not be surprised if the Dems try a third impeachment, or a fourth. They will try to find some other BS reason for another one. They will keep trying because they are so afraid of him. Pitiful.

Because we use our Constitution to prevent despotic, would-be kings from ever having a chance to rise to power again.
No, we don't. If we were ever to have a "despotic, would-be king" in power we would need to deal with him. It hasn't happened yet and we haven't had to "use our Constitution" in that way.
No, we don’t. If we were ever to have a “despotic, would-be king” in power we would need to deal with him. It hasn’t happened yet and we haven’t had to “use our Constitution” in that way.
No, but there is historical precedence and it is very very scary. That was no TV reality show, which what everyone appears to believe we are experiencing today, But when the yelling turns into killing the TV reality show turns into harsh reality

This is almost an identical chronology of Hitler’s ascension to power and if you think this cannot happen again, look back into history and see how history repeats itself when the lessons are forgotten.

How Did Hitler Happen?

Hitler, a mesmerizing public speaker, addressed political meetings in Munich calling for a new German order to replace what he saw as an incompetent and inefficient democratic regime. This New Order was distinguished by an authoritarian political system based on a leadership structure in which authority flowed downward from a supreme national leader.

By 1923, the SA had grown to 15,000 men and had access to hidden stores of weapons. That year, Hitler and WWI hero General Erich Ludendorff attempted to overthrow the elected regional government of Bavaria in a coup known as the Beer Hall Putsch.

The regular army crushed the rebellion and Hitler spent a year in prison—in loose confinement. In Landsberg Prison, Hitler dictated most of the first volume of his political autobiography, Mein Kampf (My Struggle). The book brought together, in inflamed language, the racialist and expansionist ideas he had been propagating in his popular beer-hall harangues.

Almost immediately, Hitler began dismantling Germany’s democratic institutions and imprisoning or murdering his chief opponents. When Hindenburg died the following year, Hitler took the titles of führer, chancellor, and commander in chief of the army. He expanded the army tremendously, reintroduced conscription, and began developing a new air force—all violations of the Treaty of Versailles.

@ibelieveinlogic

A man cannot be removed from office when he is already out of office. Duh.

They aren’t trying to remove him from office. We don’t want him to be able to run again and that’s what they are doing- preventing him from running again, as well as charge him with the crime of inciting violence in order to attempt an insurrection. Seems to me, you either aren’t paying attention or you are listening to Faux News.