The Christians who love Trump because he'll destroy the US (or the world)

For a (truly) disturbing look into the minds of these people, see this website by born-again right-wing conspiracy theorist Jeffrey Gridler.

He wrote this before the election, but he is still 100% on board.

A few things: These aren’t the same Evangelicals as the Dominionists (Kruz, etc.) In fact, they oppose them. But from the outside, it’s a distinction without a difference. This group is fringe, but still overlaps 80% with the more mainstream Evangelicals who support Trump.

When I explain to people that a lot of Christians think God put Trump in power to DESTROY America, or even bring about WWIII and the end of time, they think I’m joking. But this is real, and has been in process since the 1980s. This is not a tiny, disconnected group.

Since their beliefs are nuts, it makes sense that all their reasoning is nuts. For example, they are OBSESSED with ending abortion, at the same time as they pray for the world to end very soon, sending most of the world to hell. (Why bring humans into the world, especially since most won’t have a chance to get saved?)

Anyway, enjoy. One more thing: the comments at the bottom should be assembled into their own volume.

I have pointed out to Christians repeatedly that even THEY can’t agree about who is a real Christian and who isn’t, and that even among the most extreme “Bible-Based” groups, they don’t believe the others are “saved.” They always deny this, claiming to be unified, but that is bullshit as these comments show.

They are also a REALLY good illustration of why “The Bible says____” is MEANINGLESS. Here we have Christians posting Bible verse after Bible verse, to prove the others wrong. Sometimes they bold, underline and do ALL CAPS! …as if that makes their Bible verse more believable!!

<p style=“text-align: right;”>The cognitive dissonance here is scary. Especially the whole narrative that Yeah, Trump is a liar and an adulterer and probably not a Christian, but at least he’s not as horrible a person as Obama…</p>

Yeah, these people are weirdos but insignificant in the grand scheme of things. They’re probably the same ones who think the world is about to be destroyed by god for any number of reasons.

I disagree that they are insignificant. Perhaps this one, specific guy is, and the individuals on his page. But as I said, probably 80% of their beliefs are in line with Trump’s Evangelical base. The Evangelicals are the only demographic group whose support for Trump has actually increased, and they were already one of the groups that put him into office – some 85% of them voted for him, compared to less than 50% of Catholics.

The fact that Trump doesn’t believe their theology isn’t the point. He is their useful idiot, and his foreign and domestic policies are heavily influenced by them. That’s why he moved the US Embassy to Israel. His cabinet is the most Conservative Christian in history. The Book of Revelation isn’t just a fever dream with them.

I’d argue that their influence may be the most important thing ever in the grand scheme of things.

I disagree that they are insignificant. Perhaps this one, specific guy is, and the individuals on his page. But as I said, probably 80% of their beliefs are in line with Trump’s Evangelical base. The Evangelicals are the only demographic group whose support for Trump has actually increased, and they were already one of the groups that put him into office — some 85% of them voted for him, compared to less than 50% of Catholics.
Evangelicals are a small group overall, nowhere near strong enough to make much difference. That’s atheist paranoia, imo.

The fact that Trump doesn’t believe their theology isn’t the point. He is their useful idiot, and his foreign and domestic policies are heavily influenced by them. That’s why he moved the US Embassy to Israel. His cabinet is the most Conservative Christian in history. The Book of Revelation isn’t just a fever dream with them.

I don’t know about this. Could you go into detail?

Re the impact of Evangelicals, this isn’t something I made up. There’s been literally thousands of articles how important Evangelical voters were in the election of Trump, and how important they are now, in mainstream & Christian publications and websites, both liberal and conservative. There have been documentary films and books about it. I guess I thought it was common knowledge. Atheist paranoia? I wish.

Evangelicals make up 25% of the US population, and over 1/3 of Christians. Their cultural, economic and political impact has grown exponentially since 1980.

So… I don’t know what more to say about that part.

Re. the second part (sounds false, you said before you edited it), this is more of my personal opinion than the first part, but my opinion is an informed one.

Here is a piece I wrote for Quora the general topic. It has 4,000 upvotes (endorsements) so far, and if you scan the comments below, you’ll find atheists AND Christians who agree with my premise.

Evangelicals are a small group overall, nowhere near strong enough to make much difference. That’s atheist paranoia, imo.
Ah really? Look who they got into the Oval Office.

To think they are insignificant - sounds disconnected from the reality we are witnessing in front of our eyes.

"30+ years in journalism, followed by insolvency"
That's a shame. Ah but a bullshit artist like Pinker, he's rolling in the dough.

Guess it all comes down to how much you’re willing to play people.

<p style=“padding-left: 40px;”>“30+ years in journalism, followed by insolvency"</p>
<p style=“padding-left: 40px;”></p>

That’s a shame. Ah but a bullshit artist like Pinker, he’s rolling in the dough.
LOL, thanks! I'm just one of the many examples of someone who worked their ass off, did everything right, and got hit with a series of events I could not have predicted or planned for.

I have been working my way back to society for a few years now. They don’t make it easy.

Well good luck!

Back to this thread. What can be done about it? Seems to me the biggest problem isn’t so much over the top faith-blinded delusionals, but rather all the people who know better, but do who say and do nothing. Or who are clueless as to how to engage that religious nonsense dogma. A democracy requires an informed and engaged electorate and I just ain’t seeing it. Now what?

Ah really? Look who they got into the Oval Office.

To think they are insignificant – sounds disconnected from the reality we are witnessing in front of our eyes.

Nonsense. Show some proof of most Trump voters being evangelicals.

Re the impact of Evangelicals, this isn’t something I made up. There’s been literally thousands of articles how important Evangelical voters were in the election of Trump, and how important they are now, in mainstream & Christian publications and websites, both liberal and conservative. There have been documentary films and books about it. I guess I thought it was common knowledge. Atheist paranoia? I wish.

Evangelicals make up 25% of the US population, and over 1/3 of Christians. Their cultural, economic and political impact has grown exponentially since 1980.

So… I don’t know what more to say about that part.

Re. the second part (sounds false, you said before you edited it), this is more of my personal opinion than the first part, but my opinion is an informed one.

Here is a piece I wrote for Quora the general topic. It has 4,000 upvotes (endorsements) so far, and if you scan the comments below, you’ll find atheists AND Christians who agree with my premise.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-evangelical-leaders-like-Franklin-Graham-continue-to-enable-Donald-Trump/answer/Teresa-Bryan-Peneguy-2

But evangelicals do not make up a big part of Trump’s voter base, and the idea that Trump’s policies are influenced by evangelical belief is just stupid and wacky — sorry but there is no other way to describe it.

You know, Citizens, I have been watching the strategic political development and influence of Evangelical Christianity in the US since the 1980s (I honestly don’t know how @thatoneguy missed it, LOL).

I think that Americans have been like the proverbial frog in boiling water. So much has changed so slowly that people don’t realize it. Since the 1980s, they have successfully gotten both Creationism and abstinence-only sex ed in the public schools in a number of states, for example.

But I always assumed it was just a pendulum swing. Every 30 years or so, conservativism is dominant, then liberalism, and back and forth. Over time they balanced each other out.

But with Trump it’s different. As a journalist, I have had a VERY bad feeling over the last 2 years, and I know I’m not alone. What he has been doing has been a defacto censure of the press as “watchdog,” because he has reinforced the idea to 1/3 of the public that anything negative they read about him is “fake.” This can allow him to do damn near anything he wants.

In the Watergate era, most Americans got their information from the main TV networks and a few national publications. They still had differences of opinion on current events, but were working from the same general set of facts.

Today, there IS no shared general set of facts. Content is being created by millions of outlets, and readers can no longer discern what’s coming from just some dude in a basement.

So that 1/3 of the public will literally never believe it if he loses in 2020, or (insert negative scenario here). I have watched him gaslight the public, literally change history in front of people and they believe it.

And no, you CANNOT have a democracy like this. And I don’t know how our nation can come back from it.

Maybe if people like you and corporate media focused on policy with historical context thrown in instead of the trivia and superficial right wing talking points we might get somewhere.

But the propaganda model wont let this happen

@thatoneguy

[Nonsense. Show some proof of most Trump voters being evangelicals.]
Nobody said "most" Trump voters are Evangelicals. They are, however, his most dependable single demographic, and their impact in the election was VERY significant.
[The idea that Trump’s policies are influenced by evangelical belief is just stupid and wacky — sorry but there is no other way to describe it.]
Really?
In 2016 Donald J. Trump won the presidential election with overwhelming Christian evangelical support... (The Organization of American Historians)

https://tah.oah.org/november-2018/evangelicalism-and-politics/

>

White evangelical America made up one of the most important voting blocs behind Trump in 2016, said Robert P Jones, chief executive of the Public Religion Research Institute ... “They made up 26% of voters in the last presidential election and they voted 81% for Trump...."

Faith and freedoms: why evangelicals profess unwavering love for Trump | Donald Trump | The Guardian

>

Evangelical approval of Trump remains high, but other religious groups are less supportive... White evangelicals overwhelming voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 election, and their support has continued into his presidency...(A report by Pew Research Group)

Evangelicalism - Research and data from Pew Research Center

>

For observers of American history and advocates for the separation of church and state, the assertions that Trump’s presidency is endorsed by God are alarming.

“Christians should beware of a political use of the word ‘savior,’ which goes to the very heart of our faith. This particular statement is a gross expression of Christian nationalism, which I define as equating Christian and American identities,” said Amanda Tyler, executive director of the Washington-based Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty.

The sanctification of Donald Trump - POLITICO

>

Why did white evangelicals support Trump in such numbers? And why do they still support him? That’s what independent filmmaker Christopher Maloney, 32, whose documentaries have appeared on PBS and the Discovery Channel, decided to find out...

Christopher Maloney, director of In God We Trump, on why evangelicals support Trump - Vox

>

In 2016, Evangelicals were a key group for Trump; the thrice-married, foul-mouthed mogul with a history of sexual assault allegations won more than 80 percent of the evangelical vote—besting even George W. Bush, a born-again Christian who spoke openly about his faith....

Evangelical Christians Helped Elect Donald Trump, but Their Time as a Major Political Force Is Coming to an End

>

With 81 percent of white evangelicals supporting Trump in the 2016 election ― the largest backing for him among any demographic group ― attempts to downplay evangelical fervor for Trump have often seemed foolish

Evangelicals Overwhelmingly Voted For Trump. No Survey Result Changes That. | HuffPost

>

About 80 percent of white evangelicals voted for Trump in the 2016 presidential election. Since then, his administration has prioritised, and delivered, on numerous campaign promises to evangelicals, like appointing conservative Supreme Court judges and moving the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem....

Explained: Evangelicals, the religious right and Trump | Donald Trump News | Al Jazeera

That’s just a few of 1,000 people you will have to inform of their idiocy.

Maybe if people like you and corporate media focused on policy with historical context thrown in instead of the trivia and superficial right wing talking points
I don't know what you mean by "trivia and right wing talking points." That is what you think I write?

But I do write about “policy with historical context thrown in.” That is literally what I do. The article I posted yesterday was one example.

I have 2,500 followers on Quora where I write about politics, religion and history. In the last year my articles have been viewed by 1.27 million people and have received 57,000 endorsements by readers familiar with those topics.

You and @thatoneguy can fuck right off. I have never met such assholes as I have here.

You and @thatoneguy can fuck right off. I have never met such assholes as I have here.”

Triggered

Apologies, but I’m actually used to intelligent debate.

At the beginning of his presidency Obama was accused of being the Dark Prince as prophesied in scriptures.

Having had time to reflect on actual history, I have come to the conclusion that;

Obama was a white prince who rode in on a dark horse, whereas Trump is a dark prince who rode in on a white horse.

What does white and black horses/princes represent?

Obama was a white prince who rode in on a dark horse, whereas Trump is a dark prince who rode in on a white horse.
Brilliant! I love it!