An introduction

Hey there,
Having dwelled on a few other places and found them to be lacking in virtuous people who care about truth and humanity for their own sake rather than, at best, as a means to an end, I’m glad to have discovered this forum. I’m not sure to what extent I will find a community which cares about truth and progress for its own sake, but I am curious to find out.
Why are you folks here, and to what extent have you found what you were seeking?

I like to be challenged, it’s how I learn. It’s better when there is mutual respect and sometimes that doesn’t happen here, but I see it here more often than at other forums.
Also, we sometimes get honest seekers, people new to skepticism, I hope I help them.

Did you ever hear the song “The Seeker” by The Who?

I was going to just say “What?” and start a funny Laurel and Hardy thing, but I think the spam filter doesn’t like one word posts.

Welcome kstr,
Looking forward to your posts.
To see CFI mission statement, go to CFI home page.

Welcome kstr. Most on here are open minded and sincere so I’m sure you will find some of what you seek.

I’m afraid you’re too late, kstr. When I found these forums we had a small but vibrant community of intelligent, thoughtful posters who challenged my ideas and taught me better thinking skills. Then one of the moderators died, the other mods lost interest in posting and the rational thinking members have largely stopped posting. One was even banned in favor of a notorious troll, who was later banned when a member did the moderators’ jobs for them and did a search on the troll’s screen name and found numerous copied and pasted posts on multiple forums.
We still have about a half dozen rational people around here, but the threads are dominiated by bigots, idiots and jerks like Vyazama. You know the type. They post opinions without backing them with facts, then accuse people of misinterpreting what they meant, not understanding their posts, or just plain being wrong. Vyazma is the worst, but MikeYohe has also dominated discussions with bullshit and crap he pulls out of his ass. Unfortunately the moderators take free speech too far and allow these problem members to continue derailing threads and post idiotic comments. Check out all the New Age nonsense Jufa has been posting. That bullshit runs counters to everything CFI stands for and the forum guidelines specify, yet there they are.
This will be one of my last posts here. I’ve made a few friends and learned a lot, but the CFI Forums have degenearated from a haven of rational thinking into a home for trolls, misfits and complete jerks.

I don’t think things are quite as bad as Darron suggests. Yes, there are people around who argue just for the sake of arguing, but you’re going to find those anywhere. The trick is to make your point and try not to get drawn into an argument when you can see that it’s pointless.

I came here from Julia Sweeney’s forum because it was starting to degrade. I check back there now and then and it is totally lost now. One old member is still there but she has no power anymore without the others backing her up. Jufa doesn’t just list bad stuff, he goes completely ape when you ask a question. If that’s allowed, I don’t why there are rules.
It was actually Darron who moderared me many years ago. Not using blocks or or threats of deleting my ID, just logic. Without people like that, this will be another site where woo argues with woo.

I came here from Julia Sweeney's forum because it was starting to degrade. I check back there now and then and it is totally lost now. One old member is still there but she has no power anymore without the others backing her up. Jufa doesn't just list bad stuff, he goes completely ape when you ask a question. If that's allowed, I don't why there are rules. It was actually Darron who moderared me many years ago. Not using blocks or or threats of deleting my ID, just logic. Without people like that, this will be another site where woo argues with woo.
I don't blame CFI, it is a diversified forum, with emphasis on Humanitarian issues. IMO, our current social issues seem to be discussed on Twitter and Facebook which is almost impossible, because any serious discussion is overwhelmed by millions of posters who want to share what they had for breakfast this mornig. Give me meaningful discussion with a few "learned" people and I am a happy guy.: