Minorities

You can’t use the words you are defining when you define something. You would have a miserable life if no one else existed. Somewhere between that extreme and how you live your actual life, you decided these others don’t matter. Explain that.
edit: here’s a quote I dug up today, for something else, but related
Out of my experience, such as it is (and it is limited enough) one fixed conclusion dogmatically emerges, and that is this, that we with our lives are like islands in the sea, or like trees in the forest. The maple and the pine may whisper to each other with their leaves. … But the trees also commingle their roots in the darkness underground, and the islands also hang together through the ocean’s bottom. Just so there is a continuum of cosmic consciousness, against which our individuality builds but accidental fences, and into which our several minds plunge as into a mother-sea or reservoir. - William James
I see people in the 18-34 demographic figuring out for the first time that the world is screwed up, even worse than they thought. They see corruption, exploitation, and then people abusing the very programs designed to help the oppressed. But that’s all in the leaves in the above analogy. It takes a while to understand the roots. There’s a natural tendency to shut it out, to build a fence, but much more satisfaction from diving into it.

You can't use the words you are defining when you define something. You would have a miserable life if no one else existed. Somewhere between that extreme and how you live your actual life, you decided these others don't matter. Explain that. edit: here's a quote I dug up today, for something else, but related Out of my experience, such as it is (and it is limited enough) one fixed conclusion dogmatically emerges, and that is this, that we with our lives are like islands in the sea, or like trees in the forest. The maple and the pine may whisper to each other with their leaves. … But the trees also commingle their roots in the darkness underground, and the islands also hang together through the ocean's bottom. Just so there is a continuum of cosmic consciousness, against which our individuality builds but accidental fences, and into which our several minds plunge as into a mother-sea or reservoir. - William James I see people in the 18-34 demographic figuring out for the first time that the world is screwed up, even worse than they thought. They see corruption, exploitation, and then people abusing the very programs designed to help the oppressed. But that's all in the leaves in the above analogy. It takes a while to understand the roots. There's a natural tendency to shut it out, to build a fence, but much more satisfaction from diving into it.
I would have to say that you are incorrect there. There is a great amount of satisfaction from seeing how bad the world is and watching people desperately trying to fix it, kind of Like watching the world burn. From a young age I had a fascination with death, the underworld, and wanting to see the end of the world. I won't hasten it but I certainly won't do anything to stop it. I have known that the world is screwed up and that people abuse the programs that are supposed to help. But that what's beautiful, it makes life interesting. As for my life being miserable without people, that's up for debate. I personally don't think it would be, should be quite interesting. As for doesn't matter, it means I don't care if they live or die or suffer. It's all the same to me. The more I thought about it, the less sense it made for me to give a damn, so I stopped. Also my posts aren't trolling, I honestly feel this way. I don't understand love or why people are so motivated by it, I also don't get why people care about minorities.
Also my posts aren't trolling, I honestly feel this way. I don't understand love or why people are so motivated by it, I also don't get why people care about minorities.
Ok the trolling comment was a half a barb. But it is a kind of trolling. You are putting out these questions seemingly naievely, and I think you'er trying to raise other questions under the guise of these pseudo questions. But let's say you're not. Then we'll have to assume you lack an objective understanding of human behavior. By that I mean, even under your current mindset regarding humanity, you should have the ability to objectively know the concrete functioning of human behavior. In other words there are scientifically provable reasons why humans have empathy. Are you aware of this? It serves a purpose. It is a force for order and not disorder on a very primordial level. I'm not talking lovey-dovey shit here. I mean the continued functioning of life and the propagation thereof under a set of biological systems that have evolved. Like I said, It's ok that you have the views you do. But if you really want to have good balance to those views(without changing the fundamentals of those views), you need to understand how the machine works. So you keep saying you don't understand why people care. Well then you should probably research it then. There are actual reasons why people care. It's not just some Hallmark card conceptualization of goodness and caring. You might like it. The actual reasons are very raw and stark.
There is a great amount of satisfaction from seeing how bad the world is and watching people desperately trying to fix it, kind of Like watching the world burn. From a young age I had a fascination with death, the underworld, and wanting to see the end of the world. I won't hasten it but I certainly won't do anything to stop it. I have known that the world is screwed up and that people abuse the programs that are supposed to help. But that what's beautiful, it makes life interesting. As for my life being miserable without people, that's up for debate. I personally don't think it would be, should be quite interesting. As for doesn't matter, it means I don't care if they live or die or suffer. It's all the same to me. The more I thought about it, the less sense it made for me to give a damn, so I stopped. Also my posts aren't trolling, I honestly feel this way. I don't understand love or why people are so motivated by it, I also don't get why people care about minorities.
Since you claim to have no empathy or care about anyone else (and actually seem to want others to suffer for the entertainment value), do you find it hard to interact with others in the workplace and in public?

It’s just awkward at moments when people have strong emotional responses to the news or tragedy and I’m just meh.

Also my posts aren't trolling, I honestly feel this way. I don't understand love or why people are so motivated by it, I also don't get why people care about minorities.
Ok the trolling comment was a half a barb. But it is a kind of trolling. You are putting out these questions seemingly naievely, and I think you'er trying to raise other questions under the guise of these pseudo questions. But let's say you're not. Then we'll have to assume you lack an objective understanding of human behavior. By that I mean, even under your current mindset regarding humanity, you should have the ability to objectively know the concrete functioning of human behavior. In other words there are scientifically provable reasons why humans have empathy. Are you aware of this? It serves a purpose. It is a force for order and not disorder on a very primordial level. I'm not talking lovey-dovey shit here. I mean the continued functioning of life and the propagation thereof under a set of biological systems that have evolved. Like I said, It's ok that you have the views you do. But if you really want to have good balance to those views(without changing the fundamentals of those views), you need to understand how the machine works. So you keep saying you don't understand why people care. Well then you should probably research it then. There are actual reasons why people care. It's not just some Hallmark card conceptualization of goodness and caring. You might like it. The actual reasons are very raw and stark. Well said Vyazma. Let's see if he genuinely wants to learn the answer to his "question" or whether his question is just a rhetorical statement of his own. (So far, I strongly suspect the latter.)
Ok the trolling comment was a half a barb. But it is a kind of trolling. You are putting out these questions seemingly naievely, and I think you'er trying to raise other questions under the guise of these pseudo questions. But let's say you're not. Then we'll have to assume you lack an objective understanding of human behavior. By that I mean, even under your current mindset regarding humanity, you should have the ability to objectively know the concrete functioning of human behavior. In other words there are scientifically provable reasons why humans have empathy. Are you aware of this? It serves a purpose. It is a force for order and not disorder on a very primordial level. I'm not talking lovey-dovey shit here. I mean the continued functioning of life and the propagation thereof under a set of biological systems that have evolved. Like I said, It's ok that you have the views you do. But if you really want to have good balance to those views(without changing the fundamentals of those views), you need to understand how the machine works. So you keep saying you don't understand why people care. Well then you should probably research it then. There are actual reasons why people care. It's not just some Hallmark card conceptualization of goodness and caring. You might like it. The actual reasons are very raw and stark. Nothing that I read suggests altruism so much as a business transaction, a tit for tat. Doesn't mean I have to be nice to people, but certain investments must be made and seeds sown in order to reap benefits later on. Of course people get all pissy when there isn't "genuine" empathy or caring involved with the action. The way I see it we both benefit, does it really matter? As for why it happens so far it's been "we don't know". From what I see there apparently is some benefit, but that's probably not why they do it.
It's just awkward at moments when people have strong emotional responses to the news or tragedy and I'm just meh.
So when your mom calls downstairs to wake you up to have lunch with her, do you show your appreciation or just eat in silence and retreat to your room immediately after to carry on chatting with us? I hope she doesn't cut the crust off your PBJ if you don't at least grunt in her direction.

I don’t live with my parents.

Nothing that I read suggests altruism so much as a business transaction, a tit for tat. Doesn't mean I have to be nice to people, but certain investments must be made and seeds sown in order to reap benefits later on. Of course people get all pissy when there isn't "genuine" empathy or caring involved with the action. The way I see it we both benefit, does it really matter? As for why it happens so far it's been "we don't know". From what I see there apparently is some benefit, but that's probably not why they do it.
Ok so you do have a basic understanding of why people care. Sort of. Then your queries have been like trolling. 'Cause you keep asking why people care. Most of this has been a roundabout way of you introducing yourself to us. That's cool. I can do awkward. Obviously some folks can't. Obviously this is going to quickly devolve into: your personal proclivities aren't that interesting, being what they are. It's not uncommon. Yeah, you'll get the knee-jerk reaction from people here that think your a sociopath or an invert or cold-hearted. Whooopie! You'll have to put some substance and interest into your comments that involve participation here.
Ok the trolling comment was a half a barb. But it is a kind of trolling. You are putting out these questions seemingly naievely, and I think you'er trying to raise other questions under the guise of these pseudo questions. But let's say you're not. Then we'll have to assume you lack an objective understanding of human behavior. By that I mean, even under your current mindset regarding humanity, you should have the ability to objectively know the concrete functioning of human behavior. In other words there are scientifically provable reasons why humans have empathy. Are you aware of this? It serves a purpose. It is a force for order and not disorder on a very primordial level. I'm not talking lovey-dovey shit here. I mean the continued functioning of life and the propagation thereof under a set of biological systems that have evolved. Like I said, It's ok that you have the views you do. But if you really want to have good balance to those views(without changing the fundamentals of those views), you need to understand how the machine works. So you keep saying you don't understand why people care. Well then you should probably research it then. There are actual reasons why people care. It's not just some Hallmark card conceptualization of goodness and caring. You might like it. The actual reasons are very raw and stark. Nothing that I read suggests altruism so much as a business transaction, a tit for tat. Doesn't mean I have to be nice to people, but certain investments must be made and seeds sown in order to reap benefits later on. Of course people get all pissy when there isn't "genuine" empathy or caring involved with the action. The way I see it we both benefit, does it really matter? As for why it happens so far it's been "we don't know". From what I see there apparently is some benefit, but that's probably not why they do it. We don't know why altruism happens? Bullshit. You've been told but you don't accept. I will tell you, again, in a nutshell, and I predict that you will again not accept the answer. Humans have evolved as social creatures. We would not exist as a species, and function as we do, without feelings such as "altruistic" ones. We evolved "mirror neurons". If none of us had functioning mirror neurons, if we existed at all, it would not be as anything like humans. We certainly wouldn't have sophisticated language. We also evolved in such a way that human infants require intensive care and some affection in order to survive and thrive. If caregivers of human infants had no feelings such as altruism or something similar, these infants would either wind up dying, or being profoundly developmentally delayed, at best. If you have no real need of other people, you don't need to justify how you are to anyone. IMO, as long as you don't harm anyone, party on. But don't pretend to want an answer to a question, if what you really want is to just defend your personal stance.
As for my life being miserable without people, that's up for debate. I personally don't think it would be, should be quite interesting.
I think VYAZMA has pretty much got this under control, but I'd like to clarify a little here. Please describe what you think life would be like if you were more or less alone. Obviously someone would have to give birth to you, but let's say we weren't social creatures, that we were like animals that spend the minimum amount of time to get a child to maturity, then let you deal with it. Or, however you want to imagine this world without people. What's your picture of that?
As for my life being miserable without people, that's up for debate. I personally don't think it would be, should be quite interesting.
I think VYAZMA has pretty much got this under control, but I'd like to clarify a little here. Please describe what you think life would be like if you were more or less alone. Obviously someone would have to give birth to you, but let's say we weren't social creatures, that we were like animals that spend the minimum amount of time to get a child to maturity, then let you deal with it. Or, however you want to imagine this world without people. What's your picture of that? Peace, quiet, and a land of infinity.

While altruism may have had its role during our evolution of course, i guess it’s just a lingering hinders nice now. It’s likely so ingrained in most people now that I guess that’s why it’s preaches as a virtue. But I think that for those who aren’t the same and are smart enough to navigate people well, they can take advantage of this. It’s so easy as well as people are so preoccupied with being a “good person”.
I guess it does explain why people care NOW, but doesn’t really explain why I should. It also doesn’t explain why it can’t just be a business transaction where both parties mutually benefit. It seems rather foolish that the only reason we would care for our young is emotion.

While altruism may have had its role during our evolution of course, i guess it's just a lingering hinders nice now. It's likely so ingrained in most people now that I guess that's why it's preaches as a virtue. But I think that for those who aren't the same and are smart enough to navigate people well, they can take advantage of this. It's so easy as well as people are so preoccupied with being a "good person". I guess it does explain why people care NOW, but doesn't really explain why I should.
"Should" is about values. Everybody has their own set of values. Personally, I wouldn't presume to tell you what your personal values "should" be, as long as they don't lead to you harming anyone (including yourself).
I think VYAZMA has pretty much got this under control, but I'd like to clarify a little here. Please describe what you think life would be like if you were more or less alone. Obviously someone would have to give birth to you, but let's say we weren't social creatures, that we were like animals that spend the minimum amount of time to get a child to maturity, then let you deal with it. Or, however you want to imagine this world without people. What's your picture of that? Peace, quiet, and a land of infinity. Where do you live? Do you have bears? alligators? Do you ever get sick? How are your hunting skills? Do you know how to get safe drinking water? Is it always warm, but never exceedingly hot? Any mosquitoes, ticks, snakes or spiders? Can you tan a hide?
I think VYAZMA has pretty much got this under control, but I'd like to clarify a little here. Please describe what you think life would be like if you were more or less alone. Obviously someone would have to give birth to you, but let's say we weren't social creatures, that we were like animals that spend the minimum amount of time to get a child to maturity, then let you deal with it. Or, however you want to imagine this world without people. What's your picture of that? Peace, quiet, and a land of infinity. Where do you live? Do you have bears? alligators? Do you ever get sick? How are your hunting skills? Do you know how to get safe drinking water? Is it always warm, but never exceedingly hot? Any mosquitoes, ticks, snakes or spiders? Can you tan a hide? I'd like to think myself a wandering hunter, traveling the land. Eating whatever is edible.
I'd like to think myself a wandering hunter, traveling the land. Eating whatever is edible.
Alright, can't take you seriously anymore. You'd be dead in a week.
I'd like to think myself a wandering hunter, traveling the land. Eating whatever is edible.
Alright, can't take you seriously anymore. You'd be dead in a week. So you say, but you can't really be certain. Nomadic cultures can do it and so can I. Or I'll likely just settle down and start a small farm.
How you gonna harvest the food? Can you make a stone knife? Bow and arrow? What are you going to wear?