Minorities

Something that I can’t seem to quite grasp is the concern for minorities. This includes blacks, native Americans, but mostly what I’m getting at is LGBT (since that seems to be of closest concern to me).
Why care about them? Why cater to them? They are but a small part of the population, what does it matter what happens to them?

Because we are all in this life together. Even those of us who may be spoiled, ignorant, immature, self-centered and uncaring must have basic human rights. Otherwise we are all, potentially, subject to losing those rights.

Still doesn’t answer the fact that their numbers pale compared to the majority. It simply makes more sense to focus on the majority than the minority.

Still doesn't answer the fact that their numbers pale compared to the majority. It simply makes more sense to focus on the majority than the minority.
Your number, which is one, pales, even more, in comparison. Do you deserve human rights?

Kill 'em all. Let god sort 'em out.
psik

That doesn’t matter. I’m part of the majority in a sense so it doesn’t matter

That doesn't matter. I'm part of the majority in a sense so it doesn't matter
Obviously, the majority cannot detect sarcasm even when it is bleeding obviouss. psik
Something that I can't seem to quite grasp is the concern for minorities. This includes blacks, native Americans, but mostly what I'm getting at is LGBT (since that seems to be of closest concern to me). Why care about them? Why cater to them? They are but a small part of the population, what does it matter what happens to them?
Have you no empathy? Have you not studied ethics? Caring is the right thing to do. You sound like a sociopath when you ask questions such as these.
That doesn't matter. I'm part of the majority in a sense so it doesn't matter
Ok. thought experiment: Your majority, whatever it may be, I assume it is dumbasses, but whatever, kills off all the non-dumbasses. Then, if you are lucky, you are in the majority of brown-eyed dumbasses, who kill off all of the non-brown-eyed dumbasses. Then there is the majority of brown eyed dumbasses who kill off all of the minority of left handed dumbasses. Now we have only right handed brown-eyed dumbasses, but there are a majority of those who prefer Coca Cola to Pepsi. (bye bye Pepsi drinkers) The Coca Cola drinking, right handed, brown eyed dumbasses have a majority of themselves who happen to have natural brown hair. So of course the non-naturally brown haired people have to go... It goes on this way until there are only 3 people left. Then one of them has to go. Did you make the cut?
Still doesn't answer the fact that their numbers pale compared to the majority. It simply makes more sense to focus on the majority than the minority.
Since we're all humans deserving of human rights, it doesn't matter where you choose to make the line to divide us. Picture a Venn diagram with circles all over intersecting an not intersecting. Around them all is a circle labeled 'human'. Everyone in the big circle gets human rights and what you label the inner circles is irrelevant.
Something that I can't seem to quite grasp is the concern for minorities. This includes blacks, native Americans, but mostly what I'm getting at is LGBT (since that seems to be of closest concern to me). Why care about them? Why cater to them? They are but a small part of the population, what does it matter what happens to them?
Have you no empathy? Have you not studied ethics? Caring is the right thing to do. You sound like a sociopath when you ask questions such as these. The right thing to do is arbitrary. Caring doesn't do anything except cause distress for the person doing so. When you don't do that, your more at peace and the world can burn and explode tomorrow without phasing you. It's pleasing in its own way. As for that thought experiment, I don't base things on hypotheticals. But if such a thing is to happen, wouldn't make any difference. But it would be interesting. Human rights are simply what the majority says others can have, there isn't any inherent rights people have (apart from imagined ones). But I don't care if they have rights or not, but it makes things interesting to have something to fight over. Also for the record, I have no empathy for human. Just animals.
Since we're all humans deserving of human rights, it doesn't matter where you choose to make the line to divide us. Picture a Venn diagram with circles all over intersecting an not intersecting. Around them all is a circle labeled 'human'. Everyone in the big circle gets human rights and what you label the inner circles is irrelevant. The human circle is irrelevant as it only matters whether someone is black, white, gay, woman, etc.
... Also for the record, I have no empathy for human. Just animals.
Well, animals, that's a start. (You do know that humans are also animals?)
Well, animals, that's a start. (You do know that humans are also animals?) I don't consider that to be true.
Well, animals, that's a start. (You do know that humans are also animals?) I don't consider that to be true. Perhaps, then, that is where you have gone so far off kilter. You consider yourself to be rational, yet don't believe something that is so basically rational.

What I’m saying is that while humans are animals, I don’t consider them both to be the same.

Suddenly, I feel like I’m Captain Kirk, arguing with an oddly programmed alien computer.

You can say what you wish, doesn’t change that I have no empathy for humans

You can say what you wish, doesn't change that I have no empathy for humans
Good luck with that. (I say sardonically.)
Suddenly, I feel like I'm Captain Kirk, arguing with an oddly programmed alien computer.
Spock was just Tonto or Kato with an upgrade. psik