Minorities

Something that I can't seem to quite grasp is the concern for minorities. This includes blacks, native Americans, but mostly what I'm getting at is LGBT (since that seems to be of closest concern to me). Why care about them? Why cater to them? They are but a small part of the population, what does it matter what happens to them?
Wow Sad part is I think he's speaking for an awful lot of people - gotten so used to disassociating, or more likely, never having made any connections to begin with. Christianity and their insular tribalism and all that. Add to that the steady drill of anger and hostility and fear being feed us through every media outlet. I digress from this conversation, but am off on human nature... Look at the refugee crisis, I can understand them running, but I can understand people not wanting them camping in, or moving into, their backyards. or Like Bush said after that one killing, 'Stuff happens' I got mine, don't come to me with your problems, even if I'm partly the cause. Echoes of those rat over-crowding experiments keep getting louder.

Titanomachina is totally unique in my experience. There are naturally psychopaths among us, but they’re the minority.
There are no serious arguments coming from him/her, just juvenile whining and posturing, so I wouldn’t put too much stock into what’s being said. Most likely Titanomachina binge watched some vampire tv series and is acting as a favorite fantasy character with us instead of in the real world.

Something that I can't seem to quite grasp is the concern for minorities. This includes blacks, native Americans, but mostly what I'm getting at is LGBT (since that seems to be of closest concern to me). Why care about them? Why cater to them? They are but a small part of the population, what does it matter what happens to them?
My theory is--the "majority" live a life that's too sheltered and comfortable, and that's boring, so they adopt the struggles of the minorities in order to put some excitement into their lives. I'm pretty sure Tita is just messing around, or just hasn't experience enough to figure these things out, but mid atlantic, that is consistent with everything else you've said and shows how you are completely lacking in empathy. There are classes for that.I have empathy, just not as much for people who are different from me.
My theory is--the "majority" live a life that's too sheltered and comfortable, and that's boring, so they adopt the struggles of the minorities in order to put some excitement into their lives. Ah! The terrible effects of shelter and comfort that leads to boredom, which in turn leads to concern for those who are not as sheltered and comfortable. Huh? Seems to me that there are an extraordinary number of recreational activities available to the sheltered and comfortable, that could alleviate their boredom. Yet some of those pesky devils keep on seeming to care about minority rights. Hmm? I think there must be some other motivating factor/s than just comfort-induced boredom. Status signaling and pathological altruism are also possible.
My theory is--the "majority" live a life that's too sheltered and comfortable, and that's boring, so they adopt the struggles of the minorities in order to put some excitement into their lives. I'm pretty sure Tita is just messing around, or just hasn't experience enough to figure these things out, but mid atlantic, that is consistent with everything else you've said and shows how you are completely lacking in empathy. There are classes for that. Why would I fix something that isn't broken? You guys still haven't said why I should care about the minority, let alone have empathy for people in general. Seems to me like everything would just be easier if it were strictly business.
... Also for the record, I have no empathy for human. Just animals.
Well, animals, that's a start. (You do know that humans are also animals?) I don't consider that to be true. What are we, then? Vegetables or minerals?
What I'm saying is that while humans are animals, I don't consider them both to be the same.
Cats. dogs, lions, giraffes, rats, monkeys, apes, hippopotamuses and elephants are not "the same" either. Lois
My theory is--the "majority" live a life that's too sheltered and comfortable, and that's boring, so they adopt the struggles of the minorities in order to put some excitement into their lives. I'm pretty sure Tita is just messing around, or just hasn't experience enough to figure these things out, but mid atlantic, that is consistent with everything else you've said and shows how you are completely lacking in empathy. There are classes for that. Why would I fix something that isn't broken? You guys still haven't said why I should care about the minority, let alone have empathy for people in general. Seems to me like everything would just be easier if it were strictly business.You shouldn't care too much about them, but you have to have some degree of empathy in order to be part of a "clan".
Why care, what does it matter what happens to them? I should first ask, are you real but I will answer because thast what you need to learn. We are all of the same species, bleed red blood and cry tears. A longer philosophical answerer would only darken you heart more than it already has been.
Why care, what does it matter what happens to them? I should first ask, are you real but I will answer because thast what you need to learn. We are all of the same species, bleed red blood and cry tears. A longer philosophical answerer would only darken you heart more than it already has been. Everything bleeds, what's your point? Just because I'm the same species as them doesn't mean I should care. Darken heart, that's cute.
It was a reply to what he said about why should they care about me, a minority.
Nope. I didn't use the word "should". I used the word "would" to mirror your original question's, possibly, values-neutral query about why some people care about the struggles of minorities. Yeah, I went back and tripled checked for context before I typed that. I really couldn't see where the sudden "wealthy" highlight came in from. It didn't seem like any specific reply to anyone.

Interesting discussion, but there is far more to this then whether or not one has proper compassion for our fellow humans. One of my pet theories, which makes sense to me, but not necessarily to anyone else, especially those that see existence through the lens of religion, is that the race of proto humans that gave rise to Homo sapiens, were faced with a behavioral conundrum. First, group survival depended greatly on those individuals of reproductive age had to have extraordinary compassion for their offspring in order to secure their survival through infancy, childhood, and into adults capable of reproduction. And second, they also for the survival of the group, had to be capable of war and killing those of their own species that were in competition with them for natural resources and territory. This same clash of behavioral dichotomy is still very much alive and present in our societies in the present day. My postulation is that it was (is) the construct of religion that the God of the people provides the incontestable authority that provides the override of compassion that allows for the destruction and/or slavery of “others" for the benefit of the “superior" ethnic or just “different" group. Of course it is never a complete schism, there is sometimes a narrow and sometimes a broad gray area between the two extremes, especially as human populations have become more and more interdependent. But it is obvious that the inherent tendencies of compassion and aggression are still just barely below the blanket of modern human civilization.
And then there is the biological/evolutionary aspect of this quandary. Alfred Lord Tennyson, in his “In Memoriam A. H. H., 1850" took the concept from some more ancient sources and expressed it well.
“Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation’s final law
Tho’ Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek’d against his creed”
Our evolutionary biological heritage from the very beginning of life, which is in my view – Whether you make energy yourself (plants) or steal it from other organisms (animals), however and whoever you do it to, you must succeed or you and your kind will not survive; – is and always has been the bottom line of life. When life, the makers and the takers, is in balance, there is a temporarily stable ecosystem. When that balance is mildly or violently skewed, extinction always follows. Timing is variable, but change and extinction is not optional. When the takers, “red in tooth and claw", exceed the productive capacity of the makers, it is always (as far as I know) the makers that survive and change. Human culture, of course, does not play by the rules, at least not up to this broad point in time. It is obvious that if we succeed in damping aggression to the point of human survival of overpopulation to the exhaustion of the carrying capacity of our little Earth, the laws of nature will come home to roost. So the writing is on the wall, although most us can’t seem to read it yet; bring humanity into balance with the ecosystems of the Earth, or expanse human civilization, including the incredible advances of science and intellect, will vanish (hopefully, if we learn our lessons only temporally) from the Earth.

My theory is--the "majority" live a life that's too sheltered and comfortable, and that's boring, so they adopt the struggles of the minorities in order to put some excitement into their lives. Ah! The terrible effects of shelter and comfort that leads to boredom, which in turn leads to concern for those who are not as sheltered and comfortable. Huh? Seems to me that there are an extraordinary number of recreational activities available to the sheltered and comfortable, that could alleviate their boredom. Yet some of those pesky devils keep on seeming to care about minority rights. Hmm? I think there must be some other motivating factor/s than just comfort-induced boredom. Status signaling and pathological altruism are also possible. I guess that plain old natural altruism is not a consideration in your book?
It was a reply to what he said about why should they care about me, a minority.
Nope. I didn't use the word "should". I used the word "would" to mirror your original question's, possibly, values-neutral query about why some people care about the struggles of minorities. Yeah, I went back and tripled checked for context before I typed that. I really couldn't see where the sudden "wealthy" highlight came in from. It didn't seem like any specific reply to anyone. Maybe he's been empathically debilitated by wealthy relatives supplying him with (as in MidA's concept) "pathological" altruism or as a misguided psychologist might say a profound case of "affluenza". (I say sardonically.) Who knows? Somethin' ain't right.
Somethin' ain't right.
Well from the very start, including other threads by Titan, I've viewed his comments as a form of passive trolling to be honest. You touched on this in anohter Titan thread before. Very wishy-washy. I can't put my finger on it. You used the term "buck up". Instead of asking these open ended, timid like questions, he should just come out and say what he has to say. "Well why do people care about minorites...." ooohh, woes me! WTF?
Somethin' ain't right.
Well from the very start, including other threads by Titan, I've viewed his comments as a form of passive trolling to be honest. You touched on this in anohter Titan thread before. Very wishy-washy. I can't put my finger on it. You used the term "buck up". Instead of asking these open ended, timid like questions, he should just come out and say what he has to say. "Well why do people care about minorites...." ooohh, woes me! WTF? Vyasma, I sometimes underestimate your perceptiveness. I should know better by now.
Why would I fix something that isn't broken? You guys still haven't said why I should care about the minority, let alone have empathy for people in general. Seems to me like everything would just be easier if it were strictly business.
I haven't said anything for two reasons. I don't take you seriously, and you don't have to care. Lots of people don't have to care. They exploit others, they waste resources while others starve, they don't care where their food comes from or who cleans their toilet. It's called fat, dumb and happy. There are so many things I could explain, but as long as you're happy knowing that there are people less fortunate than you, it's probably not going to matter. You might want to look at history, where consistently those so-called minorities eventually gain enough numbers and get tired of being screwed and take down the structures that are keeping you fat.
Why would I fix something that isn't broken? You guys still haven't said why I should care about the minority, let alone have empathy for people in general. Seems to me like everything would just be easier if it were strictly business.
I haven't said anything for two reasons. I don't take you seriously, and you don't have to care. Lots of people don't have to care. They exploit others, they waste resources while others starve, they don't care where their food comes from or who cleans their toilet. It's called fat, dumb and happy. There are so many things I could explain, but as long as you're happy knowing that there are people less fortunate than you, it's probably not going to matter. You might want to look at history, where consistently those so-called minorities eventually gain enough numbers and get tired of being screwed and take down the structures that are keeping you fat. Maybe, but since I'm a part of one of those minorities and still don't give a shit it doesn't really matter what they do.

Define “doesn’t matter”

As in it doesn’t matter to me what they do