Let's all be grateful for Trump.

I wanted Trump to win. But I didn’t think he could when the balance of funds got so lopsided. I guess money isn't worth much today. Can’t even buy an election. I was surprised to hear all the Trump talk at church today. Two ladies said that they voted for Hilary but now they are glad that Trump won. I wonder how many democrats are feeling that way.
Maybe 10. No, wait, 5 at most. No, wait, these two women, maybe, if Mike didn't make the whole thing up. I notice no one answered my question, including Mike. What post # is your question at? It was the first post under "Policy Survey". Here it is again. Name [Trump's] five top policies that you agree with. I mean actual policies, not liberal-bashing, common sense-bashing wishful thinking. What actual policies of his do you agree with and why? Trump is still putting together his cabinet. So there is no way his plans can be ready. But he does have some good positions that have been posted for public viewing. I can tell you some of those that I like. Education, I like the fact that funds will be going to private schools. Child Care, I like the fact that he wants deductions for child care expenses and wants to add elderly dependents. Regulation. We do need to reduce the number of regulations. And get rid of the Clean Power Plan. Tax Plan. We need to scrap the Obamacare tax on investment income and the alternative minimum tax as well as the Death Tax. Trade. We do need better deals for the United States. There are so many horrible trade deals right now. Health Care. Needs to be reworked or abolished. Programs that I disagree with Trump positions. ISIS. Trump wants to destroy ISIS right away. We created ISIS for a reason and at this point we have spent too much time and money on it to discard it until its mission is accomplished. Immigration. We don’t need to change immigration. We just need to use the system and enforce the laws that we already have. National Defense. We need to down size, not increase.

Some feedback:
Education, I like the fact that funds will be going to private schools. - I am totally against supporting private schools in any way. People who can afford to send their kids to private schools shouldn’t get additional tax money.
Regulation. We do need to reduce the number of regulations. And get rid of the Clean Power Plan. – This always sounds so good but turns out so bad. I agree we should not over regulate but that only works if Wall Street and Bankers don’t cheat. Give them a chance, they will always cheat and we’ll end up with another housing crisis. Get rid of Clean Power and we mortgage our children’s future and the future of the planet. Typical short-sighted and selfish “Conservative" thinking.
Tax Plan. We need to scrap the Obamacare tax on investment income and the alternative minimum tax as well as the Death Tax. – Great! Lower taxes and increase the debt. I would go along with this if each Republican Congressman eliminated the pet programs that these taxes support.
Trade. We do need better deals for the United States. There are so many horrible trade deals right now. – While I agree that the Pacific Rim deal is bad, Trump has failed to “connect-the-dots" when he tells workers that plants will reappear in their areas once he renegotiates all these “horrible trade deals" (“They’re horrible. Believe me." [Would you buy a used car from this man?]).
Health Care. Needs to be reworked or abolished. – Modified, certainly. Abolished? And go with the GOP platform and turn it back to the private sector (under the theory that if there are people suffering from diseases, surely there are profits to be made)?
Programs that I disagree with Trump positions.
ISIS. Trump wants to destroy ISIS right away. We created ISIS for a reason and at this point we have spent too much time and money on it to discard it until its mission is accomplished. – Say what!?! “We created ISIS for a reason?!? I think you’re confused.
Just my 2 cents worth. :slight_smile:

ISIS. Trump wants to destroy ISIS right away. We created ISIS for a reason and at this point we have spent too much time and money on it to discard it until its mission is accomplished. – Say what!?! “We created ISIS for a reason?!? I think you’re confused.
I try not to overuse this phrase, but I told you so.
I try not to overuse this phrase, but I told you so.
Yeah, I know. But it gave me an opportunity to say what I wanted to say too. :coolsmile:
I try not to overuse this phrase, but I told you so.Actually I've read that McCain slipped one time and admitted ISIS actually is a "created" organization and that it has now gotten out of control. Something to do with defense spending and Israel. Yes, sounds conspiratorial, but it was a clip of McCain clearly saying this.
I try not to overuse this phrase, but I told you so.Actually I've read that McCain slipped one time and admitted ISIS actually is a "created" organization and that it has now gotten out of control. Something to do with defense spending and Israel. Yes, sounds conspiratorial, but it was a clip of McCain clearly saying this. I think that's what the dictionary now defines as "post-truth". A clip, taken out of context, can mean anything you want it to.
The reason is obvious. To create the country of Kurdistan. You can’t have a country in the Middle East without an army. Look what we have done. We have created the Kurdish Army. Where else do you see an army without a country? It was obvious after we got the Iraq oil up in production and Iraq sold to China. A major slap in the face to the America taxpayers. The oil is needed for the EU. Or the EU is reliant on Russia and the north sea oil. It is said that the new country of Kurdistan will have the sixth largest oil reserve in the world. And the pipelines to the EU are in place and operational. The Kurd want their agriculture land back from Turkey and their lands back from Syria too. They don’t seem to be trying to get their lands back from Iran. XXXXX Sorry for the typo. I use Iran when I meant Iraq. That happens when your in a hurry.

Sad and pathetic

Women beaten, robbed and raped. A chilling expose of how BRITISH females are being sentenced to lives of misery by Muslim courts http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3930510/Shame-Sharia-Women-beaten-robbed-raped-chilling-expose-BRITISH-females-sentenced-lives-misery-Muslim-courts.html Is't the Daily Mail in denial? They write, 'Shame on Sharia'. Is't it "shame on Britain" for having something called 'Sharia law'? The way America was going under Obama/Democrats with support from the media pundits, the USA would have had the same kind of shames. Although I do not have much confidence on what Trump/Republicans would do in this regard.
Well Sam, if all goes reasonably well we can hope for this new synergy to continue to grow. Brexit, Trump winning, plus other growing shifts from around Europe and the rest of the world. The elections coming up in Europe next year will be a good indicator for sure. Synergy. Globalism is a two-edged sword. :coolsmile:
Uhhh....what a relief that is. The election/campaign cycle is over and we were lucky enough that America wisely chose Trump. Been lurking for a couple days, really enjoy reading the insightful, astute comments from the regular 4-5 folks here. Great enthusiasm from you guys. Give yourselves a big hand. :-) Just delicious! mmmmmmm! Well looking forward to a good, productive 8 years of getting this nation back on track. I know you all are too. :-) See ya! Miss ya!
8 years? I give him 8 months before he gets impeached. The checks and balances intended to limit the power of any one branch of government in the US are still in place and there are many in the Republican dominated Congress who loath Trump and all he stands for. I also think that anyone who celebrates the election of a confirmed racist, misogynist and sexual predator is really only revealing what kind of person they are, not celebrating any sort of triumph of the US "democratic" system. Trump is a cure for what ails the US like cyanide is a cure for the flu.
Women beaten, robbed and raped. A chilling expose of how BRITISH females are being sentenced to lives of misery by Muslim courts http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3930510/Shame-Sharia-Women-beaten-robbed-raped-chilling-expose-BRITISH-females-sentenced-lives-misery-Muslim-courts.html Exce Is't the Daily Mail in denial? They write, 'Shame on Sharia'. Is't it "shame on Britain" for having something called 'Sharia law'? The way America was going under Obama/Democrats with support from the media pundits, the USA would have had the same kind of shames. Although I do not have much confidence on what Trump/Republicans would do in this regard.
Well Sam, if all goes reasonably well we can hope for this new synergy to continue to grow. Brexit, Trump winning, plus other growing shifts from around Europe and the rest of the world. The elections coming up in Europe next year will be a good indicator for sure. Synergy. Globalism is a two-edged sword. :coolsmile: In my 35 years in the USA, the only presidential candidate for whom I contributed money is Bernie Sanders. Thus, I could not be called a conservative or a Trump supporter. While I was disappointed when Sanders endorsed Hillary Clinton, I understood that he thought that he chose the better of the two options, even though I was not sure about his judgment there. However, I like his message after the Trump victory in the following news article: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2016/11/10/bernie-sanders-responds-trump-victory/93584032/ Excerpts: “Donald Trump tapped into the anger of a declining middle class that is sick and tired of establishment economics, establishment politics and the establishment media. To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him." Let me add that I think people who suggest that America has become more racist and xenophobic because Trump won the election are wrong. As for xenophobia (an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers), it does not apply when the fear is against people who commit and support barbaric acts against humanity in many parts of the world, as the fear is not unreasonable.
To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him."
How could he be serious about something that he has absolutely no personal experience in, Trump is the 1%, he is as much or more detached from the reality of most Americans as the "Establishment" that he's supposed to be an antidote for. As soon as it's no longer about how wonderful and fabulous Trump is compared to the rest of us - something he devoted most of his life establishing a myth of - he's going to get bored and effectively vacate the office of President. Americans have effectively lost control of their political system to the wealthy donor class, thinking that someone from that class is going to change anything is magical thinking.
To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him."
How could he be serious about something that he has absolutely no personal experience in, Trump is the 1%, he is as much or more detached from the reality of most Americans as the "Establishment" that he's supposed to be an antidote for. As soon as it's no longer about how wonderful and fabulous Trump is compared to the rest of us - something he devoted most of his life establishing a myth of - he's going to get bored and effectively vacate the office of President. Americans have effectively lost control of their political system to the wealthy donor class, thinking that someone from that class is going to change anything is magical thinking. What has been going on is more in the caste system. In the caste system it is not always the level of money. Trump’s companies cater to the upper class tax people. But Trump’s companies are operated by the people in the lower caste system. Trump is going after the federal workers, not because they are in the upper tax class, but because they have created an upper caste system with union protection and job benefits. Do they deserve this upper caste status? Well the actions of the IRS got most of the lower working caste people thinking they don’t.
What has been going on is more in the caste system. In the caste system it is not always the level of money. Trump’s companies cater to the upper class tax people. But Trump’s companies are operated by the people in the lower caste system. Trump is going after the federal workers, not because they are in the upper tax class, but because they have created an upper caste system with union protection and job benefits. Do they deserve this upper caste status? Well the actions of the IRS got most of the lower working caste people thinking they don’t.
Like I said, magical thinking as seen by the master of it here. There's no caste system in the US, there's those with money and the power it buys and everyone else. And the gap has been getting wider and wider, attacking the so called mandarin class in Washington is just a meaningless diversion from the real ills the US and everywhere else faces. Money really is the root of all evil and the US just elected a man who defines himself and everyone else based on how much money they have. Thinking he's going to care about people who can't afford to buy influence is insane.
In my 35 years in the USA, the only presidential candidate for whom I contributed money is Bernie Sanders.
Yeah, me too.
To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him."
Parsing Bernie's words, and by extension your feelings, as you posted them: Nobody can pursue racist policies in the US anymore. It's unconstitutional. The word "racism" and the concept of racism has been beaten into the ground. It is a two cent word. Everybody is getting sick of that tripe. I don't know what "sexist" is. Is that illegal? What's that? Certainly no one is discriminated against due to gender in the US. Not in any institutionalized way or on anything approaching a scale that would have to be blinked at.
Let me add that I think people who suggest that America has become more racist and xenophobic because Trump won the election are wrong. As for xenophobia (an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers), it does not apply when the fear is against people who commit and support barbaric acts against humanity in many parts of the world, as the fear is not unreasonable.
I'm in total agreement with you. Again, what is xenophobia? Is that illegal? Let's sum up here Sam....3 things. Racism, sexism, xenophobia. How are these three things relevant in a current policy discussion to you? Where do they fit in your political narrative or wish list etc...?
Nobody can pursue racist policies in the US anymore. It's unconstitutional. The word "racism" and the concept of racism has been beaten into the ground. It is a two cent word. Everybody is getting sick of that tripe.
The Constitution is a political law created by man, not a physical law as an intrinsic part of nature, it's only as strong as those willing to assert it. And the US just elected a man who made it very clear he defines people's worth by their ethnic make-up going as far as condemning a sitting US justice because he was a "Mexican". The US has a long history of discrimination based on race which has included centuries of slavery and exclusion of many groups and very draconian laws that keep millions living in fear and oppression. This idea it can't happen again is ridiculous, in fact it is happening again, the US just elected an openly racist leader who made it clear he would widely discriminate against millions of Americans based on their DNA. And that's before we even get to the fact he treats women as prey to be stalked and assaulted...so claiming sexism isn't an issue is also a huge canard.
What has been going on is more in the caste system. In the caste system it is not always the level of money. Trump’s companies cater to the upper class tax people. But Trump’s companies are operated by the people in the lower caste system. Trump is going after the federal workers, not because they are in the upper tax class, but because they have created an upper caste system with union protection and job benefits. Do they deserve this upper caste status? Well the actions of the IRS got most of the lower working caste people thinking they don’t.
Like I said, magical thinking as seen by the master of it here. There's no caste system in the US, there's those with money and the power it buys and everyone else. And the gap has been getting wider and wider, attacking the so called mandarin class in Washington is just a meaningless diversion from the real ills the US and everywhere else faces. Money really is the root of all evil and the US just elected a man who defines himself and everyone else based on how much money they have. Thinking he's going to care about people who can't afford to buy influence is insane. The Atlantic did an article about the caste system a while back. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1881/12/caste-in-american-society/305936/ “The outcome of all this variety is that while there is caste there is no ruling force." Well guess what, all Trump had to do is step up and become the ruling force.
How could he be serious about something that he has absolutely no personal experience in, Trump is the 1%, he is as much or more detached from the reality of most Americans as the "Establishment" that he's supposed to be an antidote for. As soon as it's no longer about how wonderful and fabulous Trump is compared to the rest of us - something he devoted most of his life establishing a myth of - he's going to get bored and effectively vacate the office of President. Americans have effectively lost control of their political system to the wealthy donor class, thinking that someone from that class is going to change anything is magical thinking. Looks like you have attributed Bernie Sander's statement to me here. In any case, I agree with you that Americans have effectively lost control of their political system to the wealthy donor class. Unfortunately, it takes a billionaire like Donald Trump to scold the multi-million dollar salaried media pundits and yet win an election. It is practically impossible for a financially average person to do election-winning politics without being blessed by big money donors who also pay the salaries of the media pundits that manipulate public perceptions.
How could he be serious about something that he has absolutely no personal experience in, Trump is the 1%, he is as much or more detached from the reality of most Americans as the "Establishment" that he's supposed to be an antidote for. As soon as it's no longer about how wonderful and fabulous Trump is compared to the rest of us - something he devoted most of his life establishing a myth of - he's going to get bored and effectively vacate the office of President. Americans have effectively lost control of their political system to the wealthy donor class, thinking that someone from that class is going to change anything is magical thinking. Looks like you have attributed Bernie Sander's statement to me here. In any case, I agree with you that Americans have effectively lost control of their political system to the wealthy donor class. Unfortunately, it takes a billionaire like Donald Trump to scold the multi-million dollar salaried media pundits and yet win an election. It is practically impossible for a financially average person to do election-winning politics without being blessed by big money donors who also pay the salaries of the media pundits that manipulate public perceptions. Indeed I did, my apologies. Trump is a product of that media, thinking he's somehow going to fix the broken system is ignoring that his identity and very value is completely tied up in that system. Trump wouldn't even know where to start to undo the damage that has been done over the decades and as I mention, it's not in his personal interests to do so.
Sukhamaya Bain: Let me add that I think people who suggest that America has become more racist and xenophobic because Trump won the election are wrong. As for xenophobia (an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers), it does not apply when the fear is against people who commit and support barbaric acts against humanity in many parts of the world, as the fear is not unreasonable.
I'm in total agreement with you. Again, what is xenophobia? Is that illegal? Let's sum up here Sam....3 things. Racism, sexism, xenophobia. How are these three things relevant in a current policy discussion to you? Where do they fit in your political narrative or wish list etc...?
I am against racism, sexism and xenophobia; although I would disagree with people who use these words wrongly due to their naiveté or dishonesty. Of course, I am for justice, dignity, fairness, human rights and citizenship rights for all kinds of people. However, as long as the world has many countries, citizenship rights in any country must be earned legally; i.e., by birth or via a due process.