Laura the Destroya

Hurricane Laura will likely be category 4 when it makes landfall around 2 a.m. Wed. (that’s tonight).

If the storm surge 30 miles inland (to Lake Charles, LA) is over 13 feet or more (and it could be) then most of that small city could be under water before sunrise tomorrow.

So we are probably talking REALLY high winds on the coast at landfall. (I would not be surprised at 150 mph sustained winds.) And Laura is taking her sweet time moving through.

IOW, it doesn’t look good, right now, for those who will be in her path. But at least, it looks like the more densely populated areas on the coast may not get the brunt.

You know, I don’t even care any more. This fourth year is just dragging ass and already feels like one long, never ending disaster anyway. I already know what I need to. The death toll caused by Trump is “high”. The actual number going up by even a few thousand right now wouldn’t really feel any different.

Case in point, I realized about 30 seconds AFTER submitting that last post that Trump doesn’t actually cause hurricanes. One-big-disaster.

The t rump does not cause hurricanes. That is true. They should make that one of his campaign slogans. (Although he might try to nuke a hurricane someday.)

However, the people who should care about Laura are the people in her path. I don’t think this is a typical over-hype of approaching hurricanes.

Sustained winds are at 150 mph, now. It could conceivably make 157+ before landfall, which would make it a Category 5.

It looks like the storm surge will be the greatest from a Gulf hurricane since Katrina.

…NORTHERN EYEWALL OF LAURA MOVING OVER CAMERON PARISH… …CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE, EXTREME WINDS, AND FLASH FLOODING OCCURING IN SOUTHWESTERN LOUISIANA…
12:00 AM CDT Thu Aug 27
Moving: NNW at 15 mph
Min pressure: 938 mb
Max sustained: 150 mph

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#Laura

I was thinking it was coming in further East. Guess the Old River Control Structure has a fighting chance.

Bad news high tide is about 2 am.

You know, I don’t even care any more.
Sure we get numb, if it doesn't impact us or our people it's background news. But we are an interconnected world, it takes a while for ripples to propagate but they certainly will. Beside, buck up lad, the show has only just begun. Guaranteed you ain't seen nothing yet.

I thought I’d end on something upbeat. Good night. :wink:

She was a hell of a hurricane, but her deadliest aspect, the giant storm surge, primarily swept over swampland and a wildlife refuge instead of human populated areas.

So a Cat 4, 150 mph Hurricane making landfall on the USA turns out to be, as crises go, these days, a tertiary crisis, or, iow, Thursday.

Sure we get numb, if it doesn’t impact us or our people it’s background news.
It's not that I don't care about the people impacted. It's just one more emergency in this damned year. In my lifetime there has never been a year as depressing as this one. I'm really hoping it ends on a high note, after all of the MAGA shooters are arrested or killed, of course (there was another one this week). It is absolutely going to happen if/when Trump loses. Trump has been setting it up for weeks now to ensure his rabid followers do not accept any outcome but Trump winning the election.

Under this “man” of LIES, CHAOS, and CORRUPTION, aka, the t rump, we have so many simultaneous crises, I had to look up what comes after “tertiary”. We have at least 5 bigtime crises, atm. 1) pandemic 2) economic despair 3) racial injustice 4) the sabotage by the administration of the US Postal Service 5) destruction by one of the largest hurricanes to ever make landfall in the USA.

So we have a primary crisis, a secondary crisis, a tertiary crisis, a quaternary crisis, and a quinary crisis. And if that’s not enough, just wait, the t rump will most likely keep bringing on more.

Guess I should of taken a screen shot.

@timb She was a hell of a hurricane, but her deadliest aspect, the giant storm surge, primarily swept over swampland and a wildlife refuge instead of human populated areas.

So a Cat 4, 150 mph Hurricane making landfall on the USA turns out to be, as crises go, these days, a tertiary crisis, or, iow, Thursday.

Climate Roulette in action. Another 75 miles to the West and oh lordie what a mess that would have been.

I think that even 10 miles to the west and Lake Charles would have just been a lake and not a town, any longer.

75 miles = Houston, Galveston.

Under this “man” of LIES, CHAOS, and CORRUPTION, aka, the t rump, we have so many simultaneous crises
The Constitutional crises, of which there were two more this week, are by themselves enough to wear on you.

If we get to 12 simultaneous crises, the 12th in line would be the duodenary crisis. But if we only have eleven crises, the t rump will have to create one more, because there is no word for the 11th.

no word for the 11th.
Keep looking, gotta be one somewhere.

The post script to Hurricane Laura

Lt. General Russell Honore (in the video above) is a national hero. It is always worthwhile to listen to him.