from calgary with love

Hi, I’m miles I’m 24, male and I love exploring and learning about human history. looking to meet more people like myself, more and more i find i have more theist friends then any one should.
i work nights so like to star gaze and work on my motorcycle.
looking forward to meeting more of you :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum! Find an interest and jump right in! :slight_smile:

Welcome Miles. Seems we share passions for stargazing and motorcycles. I look forward to interacting with you.

Hi, I'm miles I'm 24, male and I love exploring and learning about human history. looking to meet more people like myself, more and more i find i have more theist friends then any one should. i work nights so like to star gaze and work on my motorcycle. looking forward to meeting more of you :)
Darron S.
Welcome Miles. Seems we share passions for stargazing and motorcycles. I look forward to interacting with you.
And I have the intrest in human history, currently reading Jared Diamond's "The World Before Yesterday." in it he is comparing pre-agricultural socities with modern culture. Very interesting. Welcome aboard

thanks everyone!
I like all of your quotes, they really are thought provoking. I still dont know which is my favorite, with greats like
Hitchens, - “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson, - “Not only are we in the universe, the universe is in us.”
Sam Harris, - “We have a choice. We have two options as human beings. We have a choice between conversation and war. That’s it. A conversation and violence. And faith is a conversation stopper.”
Carl Sagan, - “Life is a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and its sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.”
Richard Dawkins, - “Be thankful you have a life and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one.”
while looking for Neil deGrasse Tyson’s quote I found out he is agnostic, I respect that too. A good video, us atheists need to watch.

Hey miles and welcome! Those are all excellent quotes BTW. You mentioned you are interested in human History, ancient, modern, paleo?
Cap’t Jack

That line from Sagan just became my favorite quote of all time.

I can see I’m going to learn from you guys here, not sure what years of human history are most interesting. Any favorites you would recommend?

I can see I’m going to learn from you guys here, not sure what years of human history are most interesting. Any favorites you would recommend?
Well, if you want to begin at the beginning, paleoanthropology is the thing to study. Anything by Chris Stringer, Brian Fagan or John Hawks for starters. Hawks has an excellent site and it is updated periodically with current info. I learned about it in fact On this forum from Curious George. Then you can branch out from there to study the late Neolithic and the founding of civilization in Mesopotamia. Then all hell breaks loose! So it just depends on where your interests lie.
Cap’t Jack

not sure what years of human history are most interesting. Any favorites you would recommend?
I think the whole story is interesting. How could it not be since it's our story? I see it as four major chapters with many, many subchapters. The first part begins with our ancestors becoming bipedal, culminating sometime between two and three million years back with our brain swelling up. The second story starts right after that, and ends with the discovery of agriculture around ten thousand years ago. The story then moves to the time period after the Neolithic Revolution when we see the rise of civilization, ending with the Industrial Revolution, around 1800. This period begins the chapter on modern humans, a period we are still living in now.