Howdy!

Hi, all.
I am a long-time atheist, with a lot of curiosity about the universe, how it works, how it is that it exists, and the people in it. I’m an iconoclast and a free thinker, and that’s led me to some unpopular beliefs.
I might stick around for a little while – maybe it will be fun. I really want to explore whether or not it’s possible to have constructive, healthy conversations with others with whom I disagree, and if so, how to facilitate that. I freely admit that I can get hot under the collar when talking about beliefs, especially, it seems, political beliefs. I think we’re all hard-wired, to some extent, to vilify members of the out-group, and I want to combat that tendency in myself, and hope I can meet other people here who might be interested in doing the same thing. (As I write this, I’m anticipating getting attacked and vilified for expressing this belief – I wonder if that’ll happen).
So, I’m hoping I can learn a thing or two here, and also hopefully that I might be able to expose (and maybe even infect) some of you to memes you wouldn’t encounter otherwise.

Welcome to the CFI forums. Stick around. You seem like the type who will fit in around here. Most of us are trying to combat the tendency to vilify those with whom we disagree.

Well I can see some reasons why you expect to be attacked.
A few of your pre-introductory posts were met with things ranging from counter-point to attacks.
Aside from that why post with an expectation to be attacked? That might be pre-loading angst on your part.
You will be attacked here. I’m attacked and I attack.
Be prepared to back up your arguments with greater detail in your reasoning. Facts help.
But aren’t always necessary-especially in some of the ideological debates.
Some of us(myself included) don’t like link wars or excessive links.
Some of us want to hear your reasoning.
Like you said, I just want to understand what makes people think the way they do.
Try to understand others opposing viewpoints. Don’t just be knee-jerk!
There’s a few people here that would laugh at me writing that.
I’m kind of a loose cannon here. It’s been that way for a long time.
Big flame wars and philosophical or ideological threads can go on and on for pages-VERY CYCLICAL!!
I’m glad you’re here. Welcome.

Meme away. I’ve already been inoculated. I haven’t always been an atheistic progressive left winger. Still not in a few ways. But I am proud of not identifying with the BS that passes for conservatism, these days.

Hi, all. I am a long-time atheist, with a lot of curiosity about the universe, how it works, how it is that it exists, and the people in it. I'm an iconoclast and a free thinker, and that's led me to some unpopular beliefs. I might stick around for a little while -- maybe it will be fun. I really want to explore whether or not it's possible to have constructive, healthy conversations with others with whom I disagree, and if so, how to facilitate that. I freely admit that I can get hot under the collar when talking about beliefs, especially, it seems, political beliefs. I think we're all hard-wired, to some extent, to vilify members of the out-group, and I want to combat that tendency in myself, and hope I can meet other people here who might be interested in doing the same thing. (As I write this, I'm anticipating getting attacked and vilified for expressing this belief -- I wonder if that'll happen). So, I'm hoping I can learn a thing or two here, and also hopefully that I might be able to expose (and maybe even infect) some of you to memes you wouldn't encounter otherwise.
Welcome. But you need to develop a thick skin. Without that you'll never get anywhere on this site--or others that have worthwhie discussions about controversial issues. Lois