Dying like a normal person (as opposed to religion forcing immortality)

Hello!

I’ve spent my whole life getting over a strict religious upbringing. Immortality is a pretty wild concept, and it’s plagued me for my entire life. Seems to me, most, probably due to fear of death, posit either religious or quasi scientific immortality to avoid this fear.

I am looking for a forum where eternal oblivion (getting to just freaking die) is the normal, accepted view. Eternal oblivion, for any who don’t know, is what you assume happens to a bug when you squish it, or a candle when it is burned down until it finally runs out of wick and goes out. You don’t assume the bug goes on to have amazing adventures or be punished for biting you in some bizarre, magical realm. Ditto for the candle.

I have some questions I’d like to ask but wanted to make sure I’m in the right place first.

To my knowledge, Secular Humanism has a general understanding that there is no afterlife, death is cessation of consciousnesses and the end of experience. Is this correct? Or, if I ask about death, hoping to get some consensus that we do indeed die, am I more likely to get a lot of replies trying to convince me that humans are immortal, both from the religious and scientific perspectives?

If I am in the wrong place, where might I go to have someone explain to me why there is no afterlife and humans are not immortal?

If I am in the wrong place, where might I go to have someone explain to me why there is no afterlife and humans are not immortal?
You are in the right place as that candle and the bug. You sound disturbed. What kind of a bug are you, anyway?

I don’t think anyone here thinks humans are immortal. Sree might believe in an afterlife, but he’s inconsistent.

Oblivion is the odds on favorite likely outcome of dying.

Ok thanks @timb and @lausten.

Who specially believes that there is no scientific reason to believe that we are immortal, and would be capable of refuting such an idea?

Anyone around here who is a staunch eternal oblivionist and ready to back up their position in all arenas, including the secular, fringe science one?

I’d love to have these ideas refuted and debunked, but I’ve no interest in having them ostensibly confirmed and thereby further propagating an idea I believe is quite frankly irresponsible and dangerous, not to mention incorrect. Unfortunately I’m not educated enough to debunk them myself, but I think it is totally inappropriate to attempt to convince people that they are incapable of dying. This is how you get people who refuse to use protection, take medicine, eat healthy, stay off drugs, etc.

I think it’s safe to say that for a healthy society people need to take care of themselves and each other and a big motivation on that is mortality. If we are all literally immortal then there is no real reason to take care of each other nor ourselves. Life is all the more precious because it is fragile. If it is indestructible then a lot of that goes out the window.

Who specially believes that there is no scientific reason to believe that we are immortal, and would be capable of refuting such an idea?
Well for one, because we are talking about the supernatural, once we delve into the "after" life, we're beyond observation and measurement.

Our body is made out of cells and all sorts of incredible molecular machines and driven by energy, all observations indicate that after death cells decompose into their constituent components and meld back into Earth’s biosphere. The energy that infuses our spirits, or as some like to think souls, that simply flows out and dissipates, absorbed by the ‘all’.

With the generator of that energy dead, the energy/spirit/soul/mindscape is simply no longer produced. Think an electric generator breaking down and the flow of electricity simply stopping. That’s all there is.

I like to think in terms of a peaceful super deep endless sleep.

Is the anything about the after life that is testable?

If we are all literally immortal then there is no real reason to take care of each other nor ourselves.
How can we be anything without our bodies?

@timb, @lausten, @citizenschallengev3,

First, I’d like to sincerely request that if you agree with the below and think that we are immortal, please keep your thoughts to yourself. The point of this thread is to refute this ludicrously dangerous idea. Ditto for any other whacky new age ideas, related to this one or not, that purportedly make us immortal.

Second, just so we’re on the same page, I’ll ask, do you think suicide cults who convinced their followers to let themselves die by convincing them they are immortal were bad? I do! Because these suicide cults have existed and societies response was to condemn them, I think it is uncontroversial to say that convincing people they are immortal can lead to their death and that this is morally reprehensible and abhorrent. Now, as bad as these rare cults, with very small in number of adherents were, imagine a secular idea, supported by the scientific mainstream taking off that promotes unheard of levels of bad behavior all over the world. One may argue that this is different, as it’s not literally encouraging suicide. I’d argue it’s worse, as convincing someone to ignore danger is easier than convincing them to deliberately commit suicide. Suicide cults may convince their adherents to drink poison, this is probably not easy. This physics theory may convince people to not wear their seat belts and every other safeguard, unarguably this is much easier to do, and would lead to countless needless deaths, much more than any suicide cult in history. Both are absolutely horrid and should not be promoted by anyone, ever, certainly not by the scientific community. And this is more dangerous than almost any religion, because almost every religion gives good reasons to not let oneself die, and also almost invariably teach that immortality is a spiritual thing, not literal indestructibility, where death is completely impossible. And science takes root world wide, where no religion is practiced by almost everyone in the world, almost everyone in the world believes that Newtons laws apply and other scientific ideas. Science has a higher likelihood of being more widely accepted than religion.

That said, here is the issue:

The current story is that due to the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, which purportedly is true and held as correct by many respected physicists, we are literally immortal. Our bodies and minds literally cannot die. Every time we apparently “die” a new universe is created where we did not die. So death quite literally does not exist for each individual. So we can see others die, but each individual never dies. Those that we see die live on in another universe, totally and literally immortal, while they, for us, absolutely do die.

So basically, if this is true (I think it is laughably untrue) things like bringing food while going on an excursion in the wilderness where you’ll be totally cut off from the world for a month is totally pointless. You will find food and live. You are immortal. Bring water to the desert? Nope, you’ll find an oasis. Wearing a parachute when skydiving makes no sense at all, you’ll land on something soft. If skydiving instructors were as smart as these proponents of scientifically proven immortality, they would allow their customers to jump without one, and jump without one themselves. But, luckily for you, and me, because I think this is extremely dangerous thinking, the vast majority of people are not genius physicists and do safeguard their lives.

I also notice that, thankfully, the physicists that say these things don’t truly believe them, as they are still alive in our universe. If someone truly believed they were immortal, they would be dead in a matter of hours, a week tops. The behaviors that keep us alive every day would be suppressed and so we’d end up dead very quickly. So, while lots of smart people are claiming this is true, none of them seem to believe it on any but a theoretical level. Perhaps they, every single person who believes this, all are such saints that they stay alive and don’t enjoy their immortality merely to make others happy? This seems improbable. The urge to make others happy is largely connected to keeping ourselves happy, and all of it is based on mortality. Someone who truly believed this wouldn’t look both ways before crossing the street or any other cautionary behavior and they’d be dead very quickly. Thankfully they know very well that this idea is incorrect and so avoid danger and stay alive!

If this theory becomes more mainstream, people may start to take it literally, and this would be extremely bad for society.

So, please refute this idea.

What? Do what?

Where did you hear that?

Sorry about the edit thing. Our spam filter keeps out a lot of garbage, but sometimes deletes your nice post. I suggest editing offline. Especially if you are going to write such long posts.

Actually, I suggest you write shorter posts, but that’s just me, as a friend.

I am looking for a forum where eternal oblivion (getting to just freaking die) is the normal, accepted view.
Any atheist forum should do.

@thatoneguy

Do you believe in eternal oblivion?

The current story is that due to the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, which purportedly is true and held as correct by many respected physicists, we are literally immortal. Our bodies and minds literally cannot die. Every time we apparently “die” a new universe is created where we did not die. So death quite literally does not exist for each individual. So we can see others die, but each individual never dies. Those that we see die live on in another universe, totally and literally immortal, while they, for us, absolutely do die.

So basically, if this is true (I think it is laughably untrue) things like bringing food while going on an excursion in the wilderness where you’ll be totally cut off from the world for a month is totally pointless. You will find food and live. You are immortal. Bring water to the desert? Nope, you’ll find an oasis. Wearing a parachute when skydiving makes no sense at all, you’ll land on something soft. If skydiving instructors were as smart as these proponents of scientifically proven immortality, they would allow their customers to jump without one, and jump without one themselves. But, luckily for you, and me, because I think this is extremely dangerous thinking, the vast majority of people are not genius physicists and do safeguard their lives.

I also notice that, thankfully, the physicists that say these things don’t truly believe them, as they are still alive in our universe. If someone truly believed they were immortal, they would be dead in a matter of hours, a week tops. The behaviors that keep us alive every day would be suppressed and so we’d end up dead very quickly. So, while lots of smart people are claiming this is true, none of them seem to believe it on any but a theoretical level. Perhaps they, every single person who believes this, all are such saints that they stay alive and don’t enjoy their immortality merely to make others happy? This seems improbable. The urge to make others happy is largely connected to keeping ourselves happy, and all of it is based on mortality. Someone who truly believed this wouldn’t look both ways before crossing the street or any other cautionary behavior and they’d be dead very quickly. Thankfully they know very well that this idea is incorrect and so avoid danger and stay alive!

If this theory becomes more mainstream, people may start to take it literally, and this would be extremely bad for society.

I doubt this theory could become mainstream. The subject is too complicated for laymen and the few people who advocate it are too geeky to have widespread appeal.

All the same, there’s a movement called Transhumanism that touches on a sort of “immortality”. It definitely wont become mainstream either, but it might be a little more scientifically valid.

Do you believe in eternal oblivion?
Yeah, pretty much. I don't think there is anything that can carry on after death. I mean molecules do, but who cares about molecules.
The current story is that due to the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, which purportedly is true and held as correct by many respected physicists, we are literally immortal. Our bodies and minds literally cannot die. Every time we apparently “die” a new universe is created where we did not die.
Actually I think you'd find that if you surveyed all physicists, most consider it self-indulgent gobbledygook*, of people with too much time on their hands. Although deeper thinkers with lots and lots of time on their hands can explain it much better.
For instance,

https://www.quantamagazine.org/why-the-many-worlds-interpretation-of-quantum-mechanics-has-many-problems-20181018/

Why the Many-Worlds Interpretation Has Many Problems

Philip Ball, October 18, 2018

(this is a nearly 5,000 word long article, so there’s lots of back and forth, that I’ve simply skipped over to select those that resonate with me.)

… But the MWI refuses to grant it. Sure, it claims to explain why it looks as though “you” are here observing that the electron spin is up, not down. But actually it is not returning us to this fundamental ground truth at all. Properly conceived, it is saying that there are neither facts nor a you who observes them.

It says that our unique experience as individuals is not simply a bit imperfect, a bit unreliable and fuzzy, but is a complete illusion. If we really pursue that idea, rather than pretending that it gives us quantum siblings, we find ourselves unable to say anything about anything that can be considered a meaningful truth. We are not just suspended in language; we have denied language any agency. The MWI — if taken seriously — is unthinkable.

Its implications undermine a scientific description of the world far more seriously than do those of any of its rivals. The MWI tells you not to trust empiricism at all: Rather than imposing the observer on the scene, it destroys any credible account of what an observer can possibly be. Some Everettians insist that this is not a problem and that you should not be troubled by it. Perhaps you are not, but I am. …

The MWI is an exuberant attempt to rescue the “yes/no” by admitting both of them at once. But in the end, if you say everything is true, you have said nothing.

We needn’t fear a scientific idea that changes our view of macroscopic reality. But an idea that, when we pursue it seriously, makes that view inchoate and unspeakable doesn’t fulfill the function of science. The value of the many worlds, then, is that they close off an easy way out. It was worth admitting them in order to discover that they are a dead end. But there is no point then sitting there insisting we have found the way out. We need to go back and keep searching.

I might add to me all the fuss over (many-worlds interpretation or multiverse hypothesis,) indicates a refusal to recognize, let alone appreciate, the divide between Physical Reality and our ever so florid Mindscapes.

@thatoneguy

Yeah, pretty much. I don’t think there is anything that can carry on after death. I mean molecules do, but who cares about molecules.
Haha. I won't engage you in a philosophical discussion because you are a practical man.

Working as an EMT, you probably have seen victims of crime and auto accidents dying in your ambulance in transit on the way to ER. Let’s say you have a victim of a horrific traffic accident and are trying to revive the badly hurt person flatlining. In removing his jacket, you find loads of cash stuffed inside its partly ripped lining. The guy does not respond to defibrillation and dies. Eternal oblivion. Your partner up front - an atheist - tells you the ETA is 10 minutes and to hide the cash ($2 million). No one will know, not even God, if you are an atheist.

@lausten

Several sources, though I believe @citizenschallengev3 is correct and it is not mainstream, and, hopefully is fringe gobbeldygook that we can ignore.

Appreciate the advice on post length. I have a problem with being verbose lol!!!

@citizenschallengev3

Thank you! So, in your opinion, leaving aside gobbledygood, is the current scientific consensus that consciousness ceases at death? Could you direct me to an interpretation of quantum mechanics that is accepted by the mainstream of the scientific community and allows us to die in this respect?

I mean, even Stephen Hawking, a proponent of many worlds interpretation, still was firm that he believed that death is just like when a computer stops working.

“I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.”

No afterlife, and if he believed that consciousness, the exact same consciousness, continued, unbroken in another universe, he surely would have mentioned it there as that contradicts his statement that the brain will “stop working”, and neatly fits the definition of an afterlife. So it seems possible that even within the MWI interpretation school, there is still a very strong possibility that even if it is true, we still just get to freaking die for all intents and purposes.

I have seen at least one person explain that it is irrelevant because it would be a parallel universe you. So imagine you being copied by some sci fi machine at the time of death. You’ve been copied, it’s not literally you. You still died. Consciousness is the brain, and one brain died, while a copy lives on, from the perspective of the one that died, they have ceased to have experiences (eternal oblivion). And anyone who would argue with this and say it is still YOU, we could say, well, what if the one that died got resuscitated? Then there are two yous and they can meet? Do they share one consciousness, making both of them idiots with half a brain? Nope. Sorry, a copy is not a continuation of consciousness, it is a new being. For all intents and purposes, death is death, it is, subjectively, eternal oblivion, even if a copy lives on and then another copy when they die, etc. Each iteration will die and eternal oblivion is their end.

If this went on for a million years the most recent copy would have very little in common with the one a million years ago, and would probably not even remember it, and if they did meet, they wouldn’t really have much in common at all. The million year old one may actually only be a few years old, being a copy made of one that actually did live for 999,997 years due to some fountain of youth shenanigans or whatever. But would think it was the same one, having just survived an accident or whatever. Or all iterations could only be a few years old and all think they’ve been around for a long time. No matter how you slice it, each being will die and their fate is eternal oblivion, no matter what they believed nor what their future copies believe.

@thatoneguy

idk how to do the quote thingy! How do I do it? So quotes come up in neat little blue box instead of how I’m about to do it:

"sree: Do you believe in eternal oblivion?

thatoneguy: Yeah, pretty much. I don’t think there is anything that can carry on after death. I mean molecules do, but who cares about molecules."

Anyway, do you feel that this is in agreement with mainstream science, including standard particle physics (which includes quantum mechanics)? If so, could you direct me to something confirming this?

I went and googled: “The problem with translating quantum effects into the macro world” and found all sorts of interesting hits. I myself am satisfied with the reality that quantum effects are microscopic effects happening on a microscopic scale, I mean a Bose–Einstein condensate is what’s considered a Macro State. So, me thinks, please lets not talk about quantum effects at the level of stuff that exists upon our planet. It simply is not scaleable. Turns out I’m not that far off, just too simplistic - still same result. Quantum effects may be an important part of the fine fabric of reality, but not of stuff. As a contractor I worked for liked to say, “It all gets lost in the sauce.”

Here’s a fascinating read (or listen) for the curious (though under that G. search there were other promising leds, but I’m out of time, a nap is beckoning.):

https://aeon.co/essays/the-quantum-view-of-reality-might-not-be-so-weird-after-all

Quantum common sense
Despite its confounding reputation, quantum mechanics both guides and helps explain human intuition.

Philip Ball,

… If their wave functions are not coherent, two states cannot interfere, nor maintain a superposition. The process called decoherence therefore destroys these fundamentally quantum properties, and the states behave more like distinct classical systems. Macroscopic objects don’t display quantum interference or exist as superpositions because they can’t be described by coherent wave functions. This – and not sheer size per se – is the fundamental dividing line between what we think of as quantum versus classical (familiar) behaviour. Quantum coherence is essentially what defines ‘quantum-ness’.

What, though, causes decoherence? This arises because of a long-neglected aspect of quantum entities: their environment. The way a quantum system behaves and evolves can depend crucially on the fact that it doesn’t exist in isolation. The environment is what conjures classical physics – and ‘common-sense’ behaviour – out of the quantum soup.

You know I love this one, since it reaffirm another one of my mantras,

we can't understand an organism, or entity, without also understanding it's environment.

Although I caught one big error:

It is through measurement that objects become things rather than possibilities – and furthermore, they become things with definite states, positions, velocities and other properties.
What a monstrous claim. It's nonsense. Our measurement don't create anything, no matter how geniuses play with the math. Okay, smashing atoms "makes" stuff, but so does a head-on crash of two vehicles driving at 60mph @. But I'll argue that's different from actually "creating" stuff.

Objects are RECOGNIZED, not created!

Scientists observe, they process with the limitations of their mathematics, then do the best they can with what they have.

Yes, yes, yes, we’re back to why recognizing the divide between our Mindscapes and Physical Reality is so damned important, in my humble estimation :wink: .

Although, Philip reprieves himself by explaining other things quite well,

... In theory, there is no end to this process. An entangled air molecule hits another, and the second molecule gets drawn into the entangled state. Meanwhile, other particles hit the initial quantum system, too. As time passes, the system becomes more and more entangled with its environment, which means that it can’t be broken down into separate entities any more.

This spreading of entanglement is the thing that destroys the manifestation of coherence in the original quantum system. Because superposition becomes a shared property of the system and its environment, we can’t any longer see the superposition just by looking at the little part of that shared state corresponding to the original system. We can’t see the wood for the trees, you might say. Decoherence is not actually a loss of superposition and coherence, but rather a loss of our ability to detect these things in the original system. …