How do we define ourselves?

It seems to me that rationalist, that is those who’d rather learn through honest objective study of Earth and her systems. Those people who enjoy learning and people who can handle finding out they’ve been wrong, and who are willing to absorb new information, to arrive at more correct answers, than our previous error. Pretty straightforward, simple, and logical.

(As opposed to the Faith Based person who depends on a belief in God and heaven after life, a universal guardian looking down on us from beyond the stars, etc, and people who believe real down to earth evidence can be ignored at will.)

So, God is Dead!, and we’ve had to make our way with our truly ancient mooring points untethered and cast adrift. Truck load of books have been written about this underlying angst that this being left “soulless,” floating in a huge empty uncaring universal void, has created in our society, from art to scholarship.

How does one attach any meaning of life onto that materialist scientific assessment of our material world?

How does one build a foundation of personal contentment, and easy spirituality, including reconciling ourselves with our imminent death, and the overall connecting with something bigger than ourselves? That something that humans seem to need so desperately in one guise or other.

I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas to share?

Basically my quest for 12 years now. Having arrived at something, it’s not much of a climax. I had hope for for trumpets and sunbeams through clouds. It’s more like, oh, that’s it then?

But the good news is, it looks like the things that all that old scripture describes, but, I don’t have to worship anything or make sacrifices to keep it. It’s just a bunch of classics, be true to yourself, acknowledge your teachers, share, play your aces, go for a walk, if you’re at a loss then do something for someone else, …

That’s a nice summary. I know what you mean about not much of a climax, although being focused on understanding this Earth’s evolution and such, I’ve had some wonderful memorable climaxes, but time moves on, and we absorb the experience, and it becomes part of our everyday understanding, as we move on to dealing with the next hurdles.

It settles the highs and lows a bit and it’s all good takes on more meaning, even when one’s having a miserable day.

I thought Humanism was supposed to be the solution to that problem.

To what problem?

How does one attach any meaning of life onto that materialist scientific assessment of our material world?

How does one build a foundation of personal contentment, and easy spirituality, including reconciling ourselves with our imminent death, and the overall connecting with something bigger than ourselves? That something that humans seem to need so desperately in one guise or other.

I would say that it is up to each of us to give meaning to our lives.

We are members of the human society. It means that we have rights and duties, to respect others and to be respected.

Death is death.

Why to fear it ?

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Okay, but don’t forget that also includes the biological world.
Nor, that our consciousness is built out of this biological world.

Yeah, that’s what I was musing.

My point exactly.

What was your question?