Chauvin Found Guilty

Unsurprisingly, a jury found Derek Chauvin guilty on all counts.

The system works sometimes.

However, we all know this will happen again and again x 1,000 because blacks have an ingenious ability to put themselves into these situations. Fortunately, police like Chauvin are rare.

I really hope that Thatoneguy is right. Unhappily, i feel that more and more policement are like this one, at least in France.

What about all of Officer Chauvin’s accomplices, who did nothing to stop him killing that defenceless man? When do they get tried?

blacks have an ingenious ability to put themselves into these situations -- oneguy
you can't be for real.
blacks have an ingenious ability to put themselves into these situations — oneguy

That is one of the most false stereotype and highly racist statement. Who says white people don’t do the same? There are white people who do illegal things that put themselves in such situations, I’m sure. The only difference is privilege and white officers’ lack of fear of white criminals. White people don’t have to jump the same hoops as black people do.

That one guy: blacks have an ingenious ability to put themselves into these situations Lausten: you can’t be for real.

It’s just that we white guys get a free pass, so long as we retain some ‘respect’ and politeness.

Our indiscretions are smiled upon and we’re told to, learn our lesson and to move along. (and yes I am speaking from experience)

To think there is not a horrendous double standard at work in this country, is to either be a big liar,

or being utterly clueless about what goes down out on the streets.

ditto to Mriana’s comment.

But I do wonder…the 13 year old black kid killed in Chicago. Bottom line, the cop was wrong to kill him, like what about rubber bullets, or tasers, etc.? BUT - what was a 13 year old kid doing out in some abandoned parking lot at 2:30 in the morning? There was another in Chicago years ago, a black guy was shot dead. Unnecessary. BUT he was running around naked in the middle of the night out on the Dan Ryan. Okay well that’s just asking for trouble. I mean come on. If I was black, and knew that the police were out to get me because they’re racist scumbags, for example, I’d make darn sure I didn’t put myself in questionable situations. Ya it’d suck, my freedom to do whatever I want would be curtailed, but I’d be alive!

, like what about rubber bullets, or tasers, etc.? - cuthbertj
So that got me thinking ...

How many times could non-lethal forced have been used, versus how many times lethal force was actually needed? And not just looking at these high profile cases. Apparently it was studied at least once, isn’t that how tasers came into use? An option other than a gun to subdue someone?

I understand when it comes to saving your life, it’s better to have and not need …

The fact is, a cop (almost) never knows when they are going to need that lethal force. To many guns on the street, and in the homes … (no I’m not advocating for taking everyone’s gun away)

But there are certainly cases where you know going into a situation, you don’t need a gun. I think this is where some of the poorly-named “Defund” push comes from. Certain calls should be handled by someone other than the police. And the funding for those “other someone’s” could/should come from the police because they supposedly won’t need as large a force. I also think someone other than a cop showing up would help disarm some situations a lot quicker too.

Ajuma Baraka’s view on the Chauvin trial:

What about all of Officer Chauvin’s accomplices, who did nothing to stop him killing that defenceless man? When do they get tried?
August.

@cuthbertj There’s a long history of killing black people who don’t toe the line, stay in their place, and stick with the status quo. Sometimes white folk killed just because… just because they thought a black person was uppity, just because they thought a black person shouldn’t have something they thought only whites should have. I tell you what, the the creepiest show I’ve ever seen with creepy white people in it is “Them”. Scariest too. One episode and I was done. Not watching anymore of that one. Too creepy for me, but if you want to get be creeped out and see creepy white people, that’s the show. Unfortunately, white people in the 50s (and in the 60s, 70s, etc) did do those things and got away with it, including the police. That’s what makes the show so creepy and scary- things like that did and do happen (not the supernatural stuff, but the human behaviours).

But I do wonder…the 13 year old black kid killed in Chicago. Bottom line, the cop was wrong to kill him, like what about rubber bullets, or tasers, etc.? BUT – what was a 13 year old kid doing out in some abandoned parking lot at 2:30 in the morning? There was another in Chicago years ago, a black guy was shot dead. Unnecessary. BUT he was running around naked in the middle of the night out on the Dan Ryan. Okay well that’s just asking for trouble. I mean come on. If I was black, and knew that the police were out to get me because they’re racist scumbags, for example, I’d make darn sure I didn’t put myself in questionable situations. Ya it’d suck, my freedom to do whatever I want would be curtailed, but I’d be alive!
I think you're referring to Adam Toledo. He was hispanic and the cop was absolutely right to kill him as he was armed and hanging around with well known 20-something year old violent criminals on the street in the middle of the night as you pointed out. It's very tragic because the Latin Kings were likely making him do something as an initiation and he was just a kid that didn't understand how in over his head he was. But 13 year olds can kill you.
That is one of the most false stereotype and highly racist statement. Who says white people don’t do the same? There are white people who do illegal things that put themselves in such situations, I’m sure. The only difference is privilege and white officers’ lack of fear of white criminals. White people don’t have to jump the same hoops as black people do.
Blacks commit the most violent crime.
In 2018, based on data from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, black people were overrepresented among persons arrested for nonfatal violent crimes (33%) and for serious nonfatal violent crimes (36%) relative to their representation in the U.S. population (13%) (table 1). 1 White people were underrepresented. White people accounted for 60% of U.S. residents but 46% of all persons arrested for rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and other assault, and 39% of all arrestees for nonfatal violent crimes excluding other assault. Hispanics, regardless of their race, were overrepresented among arrestees for nonfatal violent crimes excluding other assault (21%) relative to their representation in the U.S. population (18%).
Blacks also have a tendency to be very impulsive when dealing with police, but that is rare with other groups.

White people don’t have to jump the same hoops as black people do.
If that is true it's because Whites are more sensible.
If that is true it’s because Whites are more sensible.

Now you are stereotyping and ignoring history that still happens today. It has nothing to do with sensibility. It’s all about status, power, greed, and control. White men are at the very top, with rich being above poor white men, then white women, black women, black men, and so on down the ladder. If you’re not at the top, you don’t have status and power. In the U.S. there is a pecking order, a class status/level that people fall into and unfortunately religion is mixed into it. Women have to be submissive to men, unless you’re a person of colour, then you have to be submissive to those above you… or so racist whites want it that way. For the longest time women couldn’t own land, vote, or even have a credit card for that matter. The same held true for black people and Native Americans. Ironically, Black men got the right to vote before any woman did, but they still couldn’t not use that right, due to Jim Crow and other white male B.S., such cross burning on lawns, lynchings, burning homes, etc. So check your history before talking about sensibility and stereotyping.

I checked your link and all I have to say is, you’re not correct with your statements:

Table 1 Race or ethnicity of the U.S. resident population and of persons arrested for nonfatal violent crimes, 2018 Persons arrested, UCR 2018 U.S. resident Nonfatal Nonfatal violent Race/ethnicity population, July 1, 2018 violent crimes excluding crimes a other assault White b 60.4% 45.9% 38.7% Black b 12.5 33.0 36.1 Hispanic 18.3 17.6 21.4 American Indian/ Alaska Nativeb 0.7 1.9 1.9 Asianb 5.7 1.3 1.5 Native Hawaiian/ Other Pacific Islanderb 0.2 0.3 0.4 Two or more racesb 2.2 -- -- Note: See appendix table 1 for estimation of arrests by race and ethnicity. --Not reported. aIncludes rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and other assault. Excludes murder and non-negligent manslaughter. bExcludes persons of Hispanic/Latino origin (e.g., “white” refers to non-Hispanic whites and “black” refers to non-Hispanic blacks). Source: Federal Bureau of Investigation, Crime in the United States, 2018, table 43; National Incident-Based Reporting System, 2016, (National Criminal Justice Archive, Study Number 37066); and U.S. Census Bureau, Annual Estimates of the Resident Population by Sex, Age, Race Alone or in Combination, and Hispan

Whites might be the majority, but percentage wise, Blacks commit less violent crimes. No where did that article state that Black people commit more crimes or are more impulsive. While Blacks committed 33% white people committed 45% of violent crimes. Look at the charts and white percentages are higher. IMHO, you’re reading what you want out of that because you have issues with people of colour. I’ve thought that for many months now and you keep proving it over and over again. Or in other words, I believe your racist and you haven’t proven me wrong yet.

I really hope that Thatoneguy is right. Unhappily, i feel that more and more policement are like this one, at least in France.
I've heard unpleasant stories about French police but usually chalked it up to American tourists being dramatic. American police are usually not bad. I interacted with them often as a paramedic and they did their jobs very well most of the time. Chauvin was different in that he openly engaged in police brutality, which cannot go unchecked.

Mriana – reread the bold print:

In 2018, based on data from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) black people were overrepresented among persons arrested for nonfatal violent crimes (33%) and for serious nonfatal violent crimes (36%) relative to their representation in the U.S. population (13%) (table 1).

1 White people were underrepresented. White people accounted for 60% of U.S. residents but 46% of all persons arrested for rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and other assault, and 39% of all arrestees for nonfatal violent crimes excluding other assault. Hispanics, regardless of their race, were overrepresented among arrestees for nonfatal violent crimes excluding other assault (21%) relative to their representation in the U.S. population (18%).