Video of cop shooting man for no Reason

Video released by the South Carolina Highway Patrol of an encounter between a trooper and a man in Columbia, SC on Sept. 24, 2014.

Wow. If that’s real that cop should be fired and never be allowed to carry a gun. He asked the guy to get his licnse and when he turns to get it he shoots him without warning and even after his hands are in the air he continues firing.

He told the guy he “dove into the car for a gun”? I didn’t see any diving, he reached to his back pocket then reached into the car. At least they got it on camera otherwise that guy would have been screwed!

He told the guy he "dove into the car for a gun"? I didn't see any diving, he reached to his back pocket then reached into the car. At least they got it on camera otherwise that guy would have been screwed!
It's what happens in a country with the idiot gun culture we have. Expect more of the same. Expect yourself or a loved one to be shot within the next year. It is almost inevitable. Within 10 years it IS inevitable. Lois
He told the guy he "dove into the car for a gun"? I didn't see any diving, he reached to his back pocket then reached into the car. At least they got it on camera otherwise that guy would have been screwed!
It's what happens in a country with the idiot gun culture we have. Expect more of the same. Expect yourself or a loved one to be shot within the next year. It is almost inevitable. Within 10 years it IS inevitable. Lois What!? Look, I'm no fan of guns myself, but to state that we should EXPECT to be shot or have a loved on shot within the next year seems extraordinary. Even within the ranks of police and military, I think the odds of being shot within a year is quite low. Unless you are defining "loved ones" just as people you know or even extended family, then I think that's still a bold claim even at 10 years. Do you have a study that supports this?
Do you have a study that supports this?
Lois likes to make stuff up, then get upset when you call her on it. Good luck with that bro.

It looks like the officer was arrested for the shooting.
“I just got my license! You said get my license!” Jones, who is black, shouted at Trooper Sean M. Groubert, who is white, as Jones tumbled to the pavement, wounded by at least one shot.
Groubert, 31, was fired Sept. 19 and charged late Wednesday with felony assault and battery “of a high and aggravated nature,” according to an arrest warrant. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

Do you have a study that supports this?
Lois likes to make stuff up, then get upset when you call her on it. Good luck with that bro. What did I make up? That idiots with guns kill people? That we should expect to be shot or see a loved one shot in the next year is an opinion. Are you accusing me of "making up" my opinions? They are no more "made up" than your opinions. So I guess you like to make things up. Lois
It's what happens in a country with the idiot gun culture we have. Expect more of the same. Expect yourself or a loved one to be shot within the next year. It is almost inevitable. Within 10 years it IS inevitable. Lois What!? Look, I'm no fan of guns myself, but to state that we should EXPECT to be shot or have a loved on shot within the next year seems extraordinary. Even within the ranks of police and military, I think the odds of being shot within a year is quite low. Unless you are defining "loved ones" just as people you know or even extended family, then I think that's still a bold claim even at 10 years. Do you have a study that supports this? Has a day gone by where there aren't reports of gun violence in the country, in your state, in your neighborhood? What study do you have that shows you that and your you and your loved ones are immune to the gun violence all around us? What studies do you have that support your cavalier attitude that gun violence us not as bad as I see it. Innocent people are shot every day on the streets, in shopping malls, in stores, in their cars, even in their own homes. By loved ones, I mean anyone you know personally who you would be upset to know was shot. Lois

Message removed for duplication.

It's what happens in a country with the idiot gun culture we have. Expect more of the same. Expect yourself or a loved one to be shot within the next year. It is almost inevitable. Within 10 years it IS inevitable. Lois What!? Look, I'm no fan of guns myself, but to state that we should EXPECT to be shot or have a loved on shot within the next year seems extraordinary. Even within the ranks of police and military, I think the odds of being shot within a year is quite low. Unless you are defining "loved ones" just as people you know or even extended family, then I think that's still a bold claim even at 10 years. Do you have a study that supports this? Has a day gone by where there aren't reports of gun violence in The country, in your state, in yor neighborhood? What study do you have that shows you and your you and your loved ones are immune to the gun violence all around us. What studies do you have support your cavalier attitude that gun violence us not as bad as I see it. Innocent people are shot every day on the streets, in shopping malls, in stores, in their cars, even in their own homes. By loved ones, I mean anyone you know personally who you would be upset to know was shot. Lois I understand where you're coming from now. The way you stated it, though, seemed like a fact rather than an opinion. The fact is that the odds of dying (at least according to The Economist) in a given year due to "assault by firearm" is about 1/25,000. I don't know about you, but I don't think I have 2,500 loved ones to make this likely even at the 10 year mark. According to NIJ.gov, violent crime in the US has been on the decline for the last 20 years or so, although the percentage of violent crimes committed with a gun has remained fairly steady during the same period. Of course, you still hear about violent crimes every day and they are still just as tragic as they would be with a higher crime rate.

Let’s see pretty near any idiot is allowed to owe a gun with an unbelievable amount of guns being sold purely through political PR intended to spread paranoia and divisiveness by the Republican political machine (have you seen any articles pointing out that Obama has not ordered all guns to be collected??? I sure haven’t. But gun sales skyrocketed because of the media created frenzy - and we wonder why unnecessary gun deaths continue.)
Now we have cops, many of whom have always had at a bit of superiority macho problem (yea, yea it goes with the territory of the job they hold, so there are good reasons for it, but never the less it is still there.), fortunately most of us are white like me so we really rarely see it on full display, the way colored folks get to experience it on a daily basis, and thus we can pretend it’s no so.
OK on top of that we have scared superior cops, who know damned well that any traffic stop could turn out to be a crazy ready to try and blow them away… even though the odds of that are about as small as having an actual loved-one killed this year by gun… still the uncertainty is there, and scared people with power are very dangerous indeed.
And of course all cops are humans and humans occasionally go off the deep end taking others with them.
And the beat goes on . . .

Guns To Surpass Car Accidents As Leading Cause Of Deaths Among Young People BY POSTED ON FEBRUARY 22, 2014 In 2010, 6,201 young people between the ages of 15 and 24 died by gunfire. Guns were a close second to the leading cause of death among this age group, car accidents, which took the lives of 7,024 young people that year. But, while car accident deaths among young people have been steadily declining over the past decade, gun deaths have remained relatively unchanged. And, as described in a new Center for American Progress report released Friday, if current trends continue, gun deaths will surpass car accident deaths among young people sometime in 2015:
"The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - there are 89 guns for every 100 Americans, compared to 6 in England and Wales. http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state Here's poorly written reports: This article offers this confusing picture:
"US murders by weapons http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state {Then shows a graph, but it is a graph for "firearms offenses" meaning it doesn't reflect the murder rate, though a fast reading gives that impression} Just like the UK, the United States has seen a long-term decline in crime, with firearms offences seeing a steeper fall than other crimes"
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/20/1308465/-New-Study-Ranks-50-States-By-Gun-Sense-And-Gun-Violence-Deaths# The (USA)nationwide gun death rate was 10.38 per 100,000. The total number of Americans killed by gunfire rose to 32,351 in 2011 from 31,672 in 2010. America’s gun death rates — both nationwide and in the states — dwarf those of most other Western industrialized nations. The gun death rate in the United Kingdom in 2011 was 0.23 per 100,000 while in Australia it was 0.86 per 100,000. States with the Five Highest Gun Death Rates (Rank State Household Gun Ownership Gun Death Rate Per 100,000) 1 Louisiana 45.6 percent 18.91 2 Mississippi 54.3 percent 17.80 3 Alaska 60.6 percent 17.41 4 Wyoming 62.8 percent 16.92 5 Montana 61.4 percent 16.74 States with the Five Lowest Gun Death Rates (Rank State Household Gun Ownership Gun Death Rate Per 100,000) 50 Rhode Island 13.3 percent 3.14 49 Hawaii 9.7 percent 3.56 48 Massachusetts 12.8 percent 3.84 47 New York 18.1 percent 5.11 46 New Jersey 11.3 percent 5.46 For a list of gun death rates in all 50 states.
Guess the good news is that our population is growing faster then the murder rate. Of course our unrestrained population growth is also our collective death sentence so why sweat the small stuff. :blank:
It's what happens in a country with the idiot gun culture we have. Expect more of the same. Expect yourself or a loved one to be shot within the next year. It is almost inevitable. Within 10 years it IS inevitable. Lois What!? Look, I'm no fan of guns myself, but to state that we should EXPECT to be shot or have a loved on shot within the next year seems extraordinary. Even within the ranks of police and military, I think the odds of being shot within a year is quite low. Unless you are defining "loved ones" just as people you know or even extended family, then I think that's still a bold claim even at 10 years. Do you have a study that supports this? Has a day gone by where there aren't reports of gun violence in The country, in your state, in yor neighborhood? What study do you have that shows you and your you and your loved ones are immune to the gun violence all around us. What studies do you have support your cavalier attitude that gun violence us not as bad as I see it. Innocent people are shot every day on the streets, in shopping malls, in stores, in their cars, even in their own homes. By loved ones, I mean anyone you know personally who you would be upset to know was shot. Lois I understand where you're coming from now. The way you stated it, though, seemed like a fact rather than an opinion. The fact is that the odds of dying (at least according to The Economist) in a given year due to "assault by firearm" is about 1/25,000. I don't know about you, but I don't think I have 2,500 loved ones to make this likely even at the 10 year mark. According to NIJ.gov, violent crime in the US has been on the decline for the last 20 years or so, although the percentage of violent crimes committed with a gun has remained fairly steady during the same period. Of course, you still hear about violent crimes every day and they are still just as tragic as they would be with a higher crime rate. I made a simple prediction. How could that possibly be seen as a fact? Every prediction is an opinion, no matter who makes them. Can you point to one that is not? Go ahead, find comfort and denial in odds. Live comfortably in the knowledge that the next school shooting will not involve a child you care about, that the next store, bank or post office shooting will not catch you or a loved one in the crossfire, that neither you nor a loved one will ever be shot in a drive by shooting, no matter how many there are. The "odds" are in your favor so why bother trying to make them better? You may be able to do this. I can't. I hope for your sake that you have good luck with your odds and that your odds will never fail you. Probably every person who was ever shot thought the odds were in their favor and if they survived, must have been surprised to learn that they were not. But it will never happen to you. Of course the odds are that it will happen to someone whose odds weren't so favorable, but why worry about them as long as they're not you or your loved one? Why should we concern ourselves about people we don't know being shot, as long as the odds are in our favor? Lois
Let's see pretty near any idiot is allowed to owe a gun with an unbelievable amount of guns being sold purely through political PR intended to spread paranoia and divisiveness by the Republican political machine (have you seen any articles pointing out that Obama has not ordered all guns to be collected??? I sure haven't. But gun sales skyrocketed because of the media created frenzy - and we wonder why unnecessary gun deaths continue.) Now we have cops, many of whom have always had at a bit of superiority macho problem (yea, yea it goes with the territory of the job they hold, so there are good reasons for it, but never the less it is still there.), fortunately most of us are white like me so we really rarely see it on full display, the way colored folks get to experience it on a daily basis, and thus we can pretend it's no so. OK on top of that we have scared superior cops, who know damned well that any traffic stop could turn out to be a crazy ready to try and blow them away… even though the odds of that are about as small as having an actual loved-one killed this year by gun… still the uncertainty is there, and scared people with power are very dangerous indeed. And of course all cops are humans and humans occasionally go off the deep end taking others with them. And the beat goes on . . .
Guns To Surpass Car Accidents As Leading Cause Of Deaths Among Young People BY POSTED ON FEBRUARY 22, 2014 In 2010, 6,201 young people between the ages of 15 and 24 died by gunfire. Guns were a close second to the leading cause of death among this age group, car accidents, which took the lives of 7,024 young people that year. But, while car accident deaths among young people have been steadily declining over the past decade, gun deaths have remained relatively unchanged. And, as described in a new Center for American Progress report released Friday, if current trends continue, gun deaths will surpass car accident deaths among young people sometime in 2015:
"The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - there are 89 guns for every 100 Americans, compared to 6 in England and Wales. http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state Here's poorly written reports: This article offers this confusing picture:
"US murders by weapons http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state {Then shows a graph, but it is a graph for "firearms offenses" meaning it doesn't reflect the murder rate, though a fast reading gives that impression} Just like the UK, the United States has seen a long-term decline in crime, with firearms offences seeing a steeper fall than other crimes"
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/06/20/1308465/-New-Study-Ranks-50-States-By-Gun-Sense-And-Gun-Violence-Deaths# The (USA)nationwide gun death rate was 10.38 per 100,000. The total number of Americans killed by gunfire rose to 32,351 in 2011 from 31,672 in 2010. America’s gun death rates — both nationwide and in the states — dwarf those of most other Western industrialized nations. The gun death rate in the United Kingdom in 2011 was 0.23 per 100,000 while in Australia it was 0.86 per 100,000. States with the Five Highest Gun Death Rates (Rank State Household Gun Ownership Gun Death Rate Per 100,000) 1 Louisiana 45.6 percent 18.91 2 Mississippi 54.3 percent 17.80 3 Alaska 60.6 percent 17.41 4 Wyoming 62.8 percent 16.92 5 Montana 61.4 percent 16.74 States with the Five Lowest Gun Death Rates (Rank State Household Gun Ownership Gun Death Rate Per 100,000) 50 Rhode Island 13.3 percent 3.14 49 Hawaii 9.7 percent 3.56 48 Massachusetts 12.8 percent 3.84 47 New York 18.1 percent 5.11 46 New Jersey 11.3 percent 5.46 For a list of gun death rates in all 50 states.
Guess the good news is that our population is growing faster then the murder rate. Of course our unrestrained population growth is also our collective death sentence so why sweat the small stuff. :blank:
That's right. Why sweat the deaths of people you don't know and don't care about. Kids, young parents, loved grandparents. They have nothing to do with you. If they die, they die. So what? Let's all just worry about our own odds. That attitude builds the kind of strong, compassionate societies that we want for ourselves and our loved ones, doesn't it? Lois
I made a simple prediction. How could that possibly be seen as a fact? Every prediction is an opinion, no matter who makes them. Can you point to one that is not?
I had to make a prediction at my job relating to the percentage of time that I thought our equipment would be down for repair for the next 6 months. Do you think I just pulled a number that I "thought" would be close or do you think I ran an analysis on the equipments' historical performance and used that to come with a number? Good predictions ARE based on facts not just opinions, unless you work for Fox News. :-)
Go ahead, find comfort and denial in odds. Live comfortably in the knowledge that the next school shooting will not involve a child you care about, that the next store, bank or post office shooting will not catch you or a loved one in the crossfire, that neither you nor a loved one will ever be shot in a drive by shooting, no matter how many there are. The "odds" are in your favor so why bother trying to make them better? You may be able to do this. I can't. I hope for your sake that you have good luck with your odds and that your odds will never fail you. Probably every person who was ever shot thought the odds were in their favor and if they survived, must have been surprised to learn that they were not. But it will never happen to you. Of course the odds are that it will happen to someone whose odds weren't so favorable, but why worry about them as long as they're not you or your loved one? Why should we concern ourselves about people we don't know being shot, as long as the odds are in our favor? Lois
Getting a little personal there, aren't you? Isn't that the hallmark of losing an argument? Look, everything you do in life has a risk to it. I'm overweight and commute to work so my highest odds of dying involve heart disease and car accidents. Does that stop me from eating bacon for breakfast, no. Does it mean tomorrow I'll choose a salad for lunch over a burger, maybe. Am I going to worry about being shot later today, no. Anyway, the OP is about police shooting civilians. I heard about one town that was going to require police to wear little Go Pro cameras all the time and I think that's a step in the right direction. I know this case was caught on a dash cam, but imagine how many incidents involving police shootings didn't happen quite like the written report. Law enforcement is one of those professions that seems to be attractive to people who just like have power over other people. Not all, of course, but it seems to be higher than normal. (Did you notice my use of the word "seems"? It implies an opinion, not a fact or prediction). Having them on camera all of the time will help with times when there is contradiction between the report and the evidence, plus it will probably make the police more conscious of their behavior knowing that are being recorded.

Lois, I hope you are not scolding me.
I would hope my sarcasm was obvious.
peace and love :slight_smile: