Anxious for election results? Only 2 /12 months to go!

One thing that I, at least, keep forgetting on election day is that it is actually very, VERY likely that we won’t know for sure who “won” until very close to January 20, 2021. Trump is very likely to lose the election and that will be a big hit to his ego. He’s going to feel the need to prove that he isn’t a loser. He’ll do that by going to court. The case(s) will go to the Supreme Court, where the 4 conservative judges already ruling on cases have indicated that they are more than willing to pretend that obscure and unusual interpretations of law are, in fact, ordinary. They will be joined by a 5th conservative justice just appointed, who has refused to recuse herself from cases involving the election, and probably for good reason.

If Republicans can make an argument, ANY argument, to suggests that they maybe should be able to throw out the right ballots to get a win for Trump then there’s a good chance that they will be able to throw out these ballots. And I guarantee you that they’re going to look at all the data, such as how the ballots were cast AND who they were cast for, when determining which ballots maybe need to be tossed. They’ll group all of the ballots into neat little groups of ballots they might be able to make a semi-lucid argument about. Each of those groups will be a separate lawsuit. Then they just have to win enough of the lawsuits to make the combined ballots tossed enough for their “unelected, activist judges” to change the results of the election.

Maybe it won’t go that far. Maybe Biden will have such a blowout that there won’t be any point to even trying. But Biden has to win the popular vote by a staggering 8 percentage points before his chance of winning the presidency is 100%. And Republicans will have no issues with throwing out literally millions of votes altogether.

Hopefully it won’t come to that. Or at least the Supreme Court justices won’t be partisan, they’ll do their actual jobs. But there’s a very good chance it will come to that. And Trump supporters are unlikely to accept a Trump loss now matter how it comes or by how big a margin. So there’s potential civil unrest to come even if this doesn’t happen.

The FIRST thing Democrats need to do if they win the presidency and the Senate is to pass a law stating that no law may be passed in the name of election security which has even the POTENTIAL to disenfranchise a higher number of legitimate voters than the number of fraudulent votes it can be PROVED to prevent.

I’m anxious too. I felt good after I voted because no one harassed me or bothered me at all and I’m a Dem (more like a Sanders Dem) who lives in MO. So I felt pretty good after arriving home from voting. Then I watch the election on TV and my anxiety is back again.

One thing that I, at least, keep forgetting on election day is that it is actually very, VERY likely that we won’t know for sure who “won” until very close to January 20, 2021.

We are becoming a failed nation. :frowning:

The Supreme Court will decide whether we are or not. If they rule in Trump’s favor, ESPECIALLY after his full-diaper temper tantrum last night, there is no way to even imagine democracy can be revived in this country as I see it.

On the bright side it’s looking very good for Biden. I was nervous a lot last night too, but as the night went on I started feeling a whole lot better. The MOMENT Trump filled his diaper and had his little tantrum thing I started feeling great about Biden’s chances. And, to cap it off, that little tantrum screwed him out of the possibility of a politically aligned Supreme Court pretending to be impartial as they ruled in his favor. They now have the choices to either rule against him or openly take over the US government. Republicans do want to take totalitarian control of the US by any means necessary, but I highly doubt they’re willing to do it openly and start the second civil war.

Republicans do want to take totalitarian control of the US by any means necessary, but I highly doubt they’re willing to do it openly and start the second civil war.
Civil war is right. Until the results came in last night, each side believed that the other side is just a small bunch of crazies in a nation of sane rational people. Now we know: America is split right down the middle.
ESPECIALLY after his full-diaper temper tantrum last night
The full-diaper temper tantrum is what won Kavanaugh his seat on the Supreme Court while Democrats stood by with thumbs up their asses too stupid to think of any rejoinder or setting the record straight.

Temper tantrum is what fills Trump circuit tents.

Temper tantrums and crying fits is what re-elected Lindsey with miles of room to spare.

etc.

etc.

etc.

too stupid to think of any rejoinder – CC

Sometimes I wonder what you read. Obviously not anything near the congressional record. The things we see on the news get into that record, so you can see them as they are spoken. Kavanaugh got in because the current political machine is working for conservative judges. It doesn’t matter what anyone else says. It’s minority rule.

America is split right down the middle.
Trump only won the first time with the support of about 25% of the eligible voters. Hillary had slightly more support and everyone hated her. "Right down the middle" is not at all accurate, that's just the impression our 2 party system and method of voting gives. But it is a false narrative.

@citizenschallengev3

I disagree. It wasn’t the temper tantrum that got Kavanaugh elected at all. Ordinary Republicans actually don’t like the temper tantrums. They’ve never liked Trump and they’re not backing him now. Without Moscow Mitch to steer a second branch of government to support him the president is completely powerless. EVERYTHING he has ever done, with the exception of getting people elected (and that has gone both ways), has been because Moscow Mitch made it happen for him. In fact, if you were watching closely this lat four years you will have noticed Comrade McConnell gently steering the president from time to time in the direction he was supposed to go. The last time was on stimulus. “Golly, we just won’t have time to take up stimulus and get your Supreme Court nomination through this year. We’re all booked up!” For 4 years Mitch has been working Trump like a puppet, gently, patiently and firmly guiding him in the direction he needed to go, subtly telling him what he needs to do in order to get the support of the Senate and get “his way”. McConnell has been babysitting Trump for 4 years, something he wouldn’t have to do with a real Republican president. It’s apparently just not worth it any more. The major difference this time is that not even McConnell is willing to throw all the rules and laws out the window to help Trump cheat.

Without McConnell’s support NOTHING gets done in Washington and McConnell is not supporting a coup. If he were then yes, I would definitely be worried. But even Moscow Mitch has his limits, it seems. As it has been for 4 years (and it will continue to be for at least 2 more, it seems), NOTHING gets done without Moscow Mitch’s approval in Washington.

I need to find a couple articles indicative of it, but the market loves gridlock. Stocks are fine this week because they know nothing is going to get done for four years. No big changes in regulations, immigration or taxes.

Two years. There are the 2022 votes which may get things moving again.

Then give me a policy that america is struck right down the middle

Then give me a policy that america is struck right down the middle -- anton
It seems we have a bit of a language barrier. I don't understand what kind of "policy" you mean.

Economic, social or environmental policy

Still don’t get what you are saying. Who do you want to “give” this to you? How is it related to the “struck down the middle” thing?

I disagree. Ordinary Republicans actually don’t like the temper tantrums.
That's why the Howard Sterns and Limbaughs, and the FOX team, and the Christian Evangelical leaders are on top of the world. (Stern gets mention because of his pioneering effort at deteriorating the public dialogue. Although, guess GOP Senator Newt should definitely get a special mention as another pioneer in the degradation of American politics.)
W: I disagree. It wasn’t the temper tantrum that got Kavanaugh elected at all.

L: Sometimes I wonder what you read. Obviously not anything near the congressional record. The things we see on the news get into that record, so you can see them as they are spoken. Kavanaugh got in because the current political machine is working for conservative judges.

I didn’t read it, I watched the disgusting thing. Kavanaugh totally shut down the Democrats sitting across from him. No questions were asked of him about the place for partisanship in our judiciary system, no Senator asked him about how he felt about our US governmental balance of power and where the fuck he got off yelling at them about something so juvenile as is love of beer drinking.

Nope, stupid looks and Dems folding - is what WE WATCHED HAPPENING IN FRONT OF OUR F’N EYES!!!

and yes, the memory fills me with nothing but rage at how weak and ineffective we’ve become. Yesterday was a nice day, no we’re back in the real world. Lets start by learning from our mistakes instead of the stupid self-defensiveness that perpetuate the same failure. We won, but a 3% margin is still a failure to convey a constructive message to people. Pretending we can ignore learning from our failure ain’t going to do us any good.

Analysis:: Kavanaugh’s angry testimony may save his nomination, but undercut his claims of being an impartial jurist

Analysis:: Kavanaugh's angry testimony may save his nomination, but undercut his claims of being an impartial jurist

Brett Kavanaugh and the Adolescent Aggression of Conservative Masculinity

By Alexandra Schwartz
September 27th 2018, 5:56 P.M.

www -newyorker - com/news/current/brett-kavanaughs-adolescent-temper-tantrum-before-the-senate-judiciary-committee

Opening statement “This confirmation process has become a national disgrace,” Kavanaugh said.

By Jen Kirbyjen Sep 27, 2018, 4:36pm EDT

vox - com/2018/9/27/17911256/brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-senate-hearing

"Still don’t get what you are saying. Who do you want to “give” this to you? How is it related to the “struck down the middle” thing?"
I am asking you. Whats the evidence that supports this claim that america is split down the middle because when you look at policy , the public has very clearly moved significantly to the left.

Guess it’s relative,

<p style="text-align: left;">I am asking you -- Anton</p>
I see. Lower taxes for the rich, tighter immigration, more kids in cages, moved Israel embassy, less pressure on Putin, anti abortion judges. Those are just a few conservative moves recently.

Watching the rollbacks next year should be a good indicator of the divide.</p>

“I see. Lower taxes for the rich, tighter immigration, more kids in cages, moved Israel embassy, less pressure on Putin, anti abortion judges. Those are just a few conservative moves recently.”

No.

I was thinking more along the lines of

-climate change

-minimium wage

• student debt cancellation

-universal healthcare

-money in politics

-etc

The public is way to the left of Republicans and the Corporate Democrats on these.