Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Roberts, and Kennedy

Remember those names. Pass them on to posterity. Just in case they are the fulcrum upon which humans never got anything done in regards to limiting the damage of human caused climate change.
Our news medias don’t seem to think that these names are important. But there is some sort of future out there, beyond the 24 hour “news” reality show of the Presidential campaign.
It will either be a future where we did some meaningful things to ameliorate our damage to our planet or a future where we continued to make things worse.
If it is the latter, I have some key culprits in mind to blame. That would be: Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Roberts, and Kennedy.

Wow! Ding dong, Scalia’s dead. The wicked Scalia is dead.
Too bad he got off one last shot at the Earth, before the Universe took him the way of all mortals.

Wow! Ding dong, Scalia's dead. The wicked Scalia is dead. Too bad he got off one last shot at the Earth, before the Universe took him the way of all mortals.
I feel guilty being so happy. Just really glad we got a break. Why feel guilty? You and I will be following Scalia's departure, soon enough. (And we're not even evil.)
Wow! Ding dong, Scalia's dead. The wicked Scalia is dead. Too bad he got off one last shot at the Earth, before the Universe took him the way of all mortals.
I feel guilty being so happy. Just really glad we got a break. Why feel guilty? You and I will be following Scalia's departure, soon enough. (And we're not even evil.) OK don't feel guilty anymore. It was a token gesture. He reportedly died in his sleep, this morning, after a big day of quail hunting in Big Bend, yesterday. (If Dick Cheney was in the hunting party, they should check Scalia's body for accidental shotgun wounds.)

:lol: Whaaat!! No flipin way? I thought you were joking!!
I also thought that guy was going to live forever.
What a co-inky-dink!!! TimB!!! Right on.
Did you start this thread before you knew about Scalia?

Ahhhhhhhh…what a relief.

:lol: Whaaat!! No flipin way? I thought you were joking!! I also thought that guy was going to live forever. What a co-inky-dink!!! TimB!!! Right on. Did you start this thread before you knew about Scalia?
Nope. I guess he was dead when I started the thread, but I did not know that.

Let’s take Roberts. I think the guy is pretty level-headed. Nice guy that Roberts. Sure he’s conservative, but he’s good people.
I think Scalia relished being a dick.

Well Scalia never got to overturn Roe v. Wade, but he dearly wanted to. Now the reactionary activists on the Court will have to wait longer on that.
But Scalia did get to be complicit along with his 4 other reactionary activist justices in reaching down to reverse a district court’s decision not to stop the implementation of the EPA’s Clean Power Plan.
So Scalia got to be involved in possibly undermining the Paris Accords on addressing climate change. Now the Republican Congress will block any nominee to replace Scalia, in the hope that they can delay until they get a Republican President. Should that happen, they will not only regain their 5-4 advantage, they will also very likely get to replace other justices over the coming Presidential term, thus gaining a 6-3 or even 7-2 advantage (for many years to come).
Robert’s is a nice guy? I guess. Scalia was a nice guy? Many think so. But their use of power to make decisions that are bad for my country and for my planet-- that IMO is evil.

Yes, of course. We need to unite as a party supporting Hilliary if that comes to fruition we will still nominate a right thinking new justice.
You support Hillary Clinton AMH?
Yes, of course. We need to unite as a party supporting Hilliary if that comes to fruition we will still nominate a right thinking new justice.
You support Hillary Clinton AMH? For a long time I have thought the best candidates were not interested to the invasion of their life that public servants must subject to. Not saying serious vetting is not proper. Answer to your question is, yes, I am supporting Hilliary Clinton. Right now I think she represents the highest probability of retaining a democratic executive branch. Not at all saying she is the best candidate, I still think the best candidates don't want to submit to the system. You're right, but we have to work with what we've got, as inadequate as that is. Hillary is not my choice, either, but she's head and shoulders above any Republican candidate. If it's a choice between her and any Republican on the scene, it should be her. Anything else would spell certain disaster for the country. Lois

It is striking to me that even with the death of Scalia- which has pressed the Supreme Court into the public eye, with discussions of the various and sundry repercussions, the action of the Supreme Court last Monday night, undermining the Paris accords has still not been whispered about in the most public medias.
It’s as if it never happened as far as the media is concerned. I have only heard it even brought up on television, twice. Once on the Daily Show and once on Bill Maher.
If the 24 hr. “news” channels have addressed it at all, I missed it. (I rarely turn on Fox News, so maybe they gloated over it briefly. I suspect they would, but I don’t know.)

Yeah but there are great Human Interest stories being put out about the endearing relationship between Scalia and Ginsberg.
It’s so…so touching.

Yeah but there are great Human Interest stories being put out about the endearing relationship between Scalia and Ginsberg. It's so....so touching.
I wonder whether we will hear such touching stories about Charles Manson when he dies. Charles Manson has left his hideous evil impact on our society, but the effect was rather limited. I suspect that the evil impact of Scalia's use of power, in his lifetime, has been (and will continue for a long time to come, to be) much greater (although much more subtle) than what Manson was able to pull off.
Yeah but there are great Human Interest stories being put out about the endearing relationship between Scalia and Ginsberg. It's so....so touching.
I wonder whether we will hear such touching stories about Charles Manson when he dies. Charles Manson has left his hideous evil impact on our society, but the effect was rather limited. I suspect that the evil impact of Scalia's use of power, in his lifetime, has been (and will continue for a long time to come, to be) much greater (although much more subtle) than what Manson was able to pull off.What evil deeds did Scalia commit?
I wonder whether we will hear such touching stories about Charles Manson when he dies. Charles Manson has left his hideous evil impact on our society, but the effect was rather limited. I suspect that the evil impact of Scalia's use of power, in his lifetime, has been (and will continue for a long time to come, to be) much greater (although much more subtle) than what Manson was able to pull off.What evil deeds did Scalia commit? I used the words "evil impact". But the original impetus for this thread has to do with the deed committed last Monday evening, by Scalia and his 4 Republican appointed cohorts in the Supreme Court. So there's a deed for you. I think it was evil to undermine the best current possible hope for the nations of the world to jointly do something meaningful to limit the destructive effects of human caused climate change. Perhaps that doesn't qualify as evil for you. It does from my perspective.

His complicity in the Citizen’s United ruling in 2013 seems pretty evil to me. Gutting the Voting Rights Act seems evil to me, though Republicans clearly don’t think so. In 2008, changing the Court’s interpretation of the 2nd Amendment from what it had been for 100 years (a right related to being part of a well regulated militia) to being a personal right of every American, may not have been an evil deed, per se, but there has probably been an evil impact, i.e., the deaths of a whole lot of people, since and in the future, from gun violence, that probably could have been averted, otherwise.
I realize that “evil” is a loaded term, especially when used in relation to a highly respected (in some quarters) man who has just died. But, IMO, it is applicable.

I guess I should pay more attention to the news.
OT: Speaking of the news, I just saw that Dawkins had a stroke.

I guess I should pay more attention to the news. OT: Speaking of the news, I just saw that Dawkins had a stroke.
That's probably good news for the New Liberals. They got him blackballed as a misogynist.
I guess I should pay more attention to the news. OT: Speaking of the news, I just saw that Dawkins had a stroke.
That's probably good news for the New Liberals. They got him blackballed as a misogynist.Yep. PZ Myers and Greta Christina were probably celebrating.