Wolf Blitzer Asks Tornado Survivor If She Thanked the Lord; Tells Him She’s an Atheist

Will wonders ever cease!
http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2013/5/22/wolf-blitzer-asks-tornado-survivor-if-she-thanked-the-lord-tells-him-she-s-an-atheist

That was great! Now if an NFL player who scores a game winning touchdown, would just say “I owe it all to my genes, intensive training, coaching and teamwork.” instead of saying “First of all, I want to thank the Lord, Jesus Christ.”
(If Jesus exists in Heaven, I must still doubt that he is a big football fan, and that he would take sides if he were.)

That was great! Now if an NFL player who scores a game winning touchdown, would just say "I owe it all to my genes, intensive training, coaching and teamwork." instead of saying "First of all, I want to thank the Lord, Jesus Christ." (If Jesus exists in Heaven, I must still doubt that he is a big football fan, and that he would take sides if he were.)
Now you're being silly, Timbo! ;) Lois

Who can organize a fundraiser for that poor girl? I think we should all send her some recovery money and tell it’s coming on behalf of other atheists.
I’m serious. Lois? You’re a Chapter Prez, no?

Who can organize a fundraiser for that poor girl? I think we should all send her some recovery money and tell it's coming on behalf of other atheists. I'm serious. Lois? You're a Chapter Prez, no?
Not a bad idea, though I'd be reluctant to tie recovery money to anyone's religious belief. My chapter is too small to make any kind of impact, but I'll suggest something to the Amerian Humanist Association. I'm sure they would not tie recovery money to belief, either. If for no other reason, than that would be too much like what a lot of churches do now. Lois
That was great! Now if an NFL player who scores a game winning touchdown, would just say "I owe it all to my genes, intensive training, coaching and teamwork." instead of saying "First of all, I want to thank the Lord, Jesus Christ." (If Jesus exists in Heaven, I must still doubt that he is a big football fan, and that he would take sides if he were.)
Now you're being silly, Timbo! ;) Lois Oh, yes. Silliness is an important part of my repertoire.
Who can organize a fundraiser for that poor girl? I think we should all send her some recovery money and tell it's coming on behalf of other atheists. I'm serious. Lois? You're a Chapter Prez, no?
Not a bad idea, though I'd be reluctant to tie recovery money to anyone's religious belief. My chapter is too small to make any kind of impact, but I'll suggest something to the Amerian Humanist Association. I'm sure they would not tie recovery money to belief, either. If for no other reason, than that would be too much like what a lot of churches do now. Lois Still, I think she does deserve a lot of credit for politely asserting her belief system when there is still so much societal pressure to just "Thank the Lord."
Not a bad idea, though I'd be reluctant to tie recovery money to anyone's religious belief. My chapter is too small to make any kind of impact, but I'll suggest something to the Amerian Humanist Association. I'm sure they would not tie recovery money to belief, either. If for no other reason, than that would be too much like what a lot of churches do now. Lois I get the analogy...I don't get the rationale... Why wouldn't you want to use church tactics? First off the tactics churches use aren't singular to them. Politics use the same method. These methods work! This girl had the strength to say that to Wolf "Ditzler" on air. Why not reward her for her vanguard action? And possibly get attention directed at the actions of atheists acting in concert and in a benevolent way. Even if they are being discriminatory. Who cares? That's still positive PR in my book. The crap talkers have already discounted her anyways. For saying she was an atheist. Let all the fence sitters see the solidarity of atheists! Come out! Quit hiding!

If the lady does get support from atheists, I hope that it is funneled to her in a quiet way. I didn’t get the impression that she was seeking to become a center of attention to promote the vanguard of atheism. I think she was just honestly answering a question that she was asked.

If the lady does get support from atheists, I hope that it is funneled to her in a quiet way. I didn't get the impression that she was seeking to become a center of attention to promote the vanguard of atheism. I think she was just honestly answering a question that she was asked.
Humanist Charities, an adjunct of the American Humanist Association, specializes in benevolent aid and action to further the health and welfare of humankind. Its purpose includes applying uniquely humanist approaches to those in need and directing the generosity of American humanists to worthy disaster relief and development projects around the world. http://humanistcharities.org/
If the lady does get support from atheists, I hope that it is funneled to her in a quiet way. I didn't get the impression that she was seeking to become a center of attention to promote the vanguard of atheism. I think she was just honestly answering a question that she was asked.
Yeah. I don't like quiet ways. You can damn well bet that when people send in donations for a War Vet, that ain't done quietly. Sometimes. And I'm glad a war Vet gets any and all help and aid etc. Whether it's for his/her tornado losses, or losses of limbs or health from war. But, what's the end result? War is OK! War is normal. It might not be the intention...but that is the end result. I realize that I am out on a limb now with this. Yet...if someone could show me a way to pass the hat for this girl, and it was legitimate, I would give. And I would give for her statement...not her loss.
Yeah. I don't like quiet ways. You can damn well bet that when people send in donations for a War Vet, that ain't done quietly. Sometimes. And I'm glad a war Vet gets any and all help and aid etc. Whether it's for his/her tornado losses, or losses of limbs or health from war. But, what's the end result? War is OK! War is normal. It might not be the intention...but that is the end result. I realize that I am out on a limb now with this. Yet...if someone could show me a way to pass the hat for this girl, and it was legitimate, I would give. And I would give for her statement...not her loss. I get what you're saying. I just wouldn't want her to be the center of some media hoo-rah-rah, if she didn't want to be.
Not only is there one, but its cracked the $100K mark!] Its the idea of Doug Stanhope, and they were originally hoping to get half of what they've raised so far.

Wow, that’s great!

Beautiful.
I love when she says that they’re atheists and then throws her head back and laughs. Priceless.
You just can’t put a price on that.

That was a gutsy statement on her part and kudos to her for standing on her principles in the midst of tragedy and surrounded by bible believing fundies in an all red State. I have no doubt however she will be inundated with thousands of bibles (KJV) left at her doorstep! And BTW glad to hear that the atheist community is stepping up to help.
Cap’t Jack

This is odd to me; for some reason, I’ve never pictured Wolf Blitzer as religious, but have only watched him when he filled in for Anderson Cooper.