What's the point of protesting Trump rallies?

I am appalled and shocked and truly frightened like never before, since the violence at the Trump rally.
Like what the fuck is the point of going to a Trump rally to protest and wave your placards at them - jesus f???
How could that do anything but play into Trump’s hands
(they may be tiny, but they sure can catch shit and toss it back like nobody’s business) and escalate the threat a reality of violence another few clicks.
Look at Trump, it’s the best thing that’s happened to his campaign pr. Why have people become so stupid.
If you really hate Trump, if you really want to do something effective -
get the fuck involved with the Democrats and the campaign and getting the vote out.

Of course that includes holding your nose. But such is reality.
THE ELECTION IS THE ONLY TIME OUR OPINION MATTERS - YET LIBERALS PISS IT AWAY ELECTION CYCLE AFTER ELECTION CYCLE
WAITING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO STEP IN WHILE WE ENJOY OUR LATTE’ - AND SPLENDID LITTLE LIVES. >:-(

The point of protesting at Trump rallies is to express disapproval of his message.
Does it play into his tiny little hands? Probably to some extent, but it also provides a counter to his bullshit.
People who, at this point, are not registered to vote, are unlikely to be “energized” enough to get registered and vote, unless someone like Trump, or an equally countervailing “energizing” force motivates them.
Trump deserves protests. People who want to peacefully protest have the right to do so. I think that their doing so, serves the function of clearly demonstrating that Trump’s bullshit con-artist messages are not being sucked up by everyone. The media is going to provide hundreds of millions of dollars of free airtime to Trump, regardless. Why shouldn’t people who protest his bullshit get some airtime, also?

I am appalled and shocked and truly frightened like never before, since the violence at the Trump rally. Like what the fuck is the point of going to a Trump rally to protest and wave your placards at them - jesus f??? How could that do anything but play into Trump's hands (they may be tiny, but they sure can catch shit and toss it back like nobody's business) and escalate the threat a reality of violence another few clicks. Look at Trump, it's the best thing that's happened to his campaign pr. Why have people become so stupid. If you really hate Trump, if you really want to do something effective - get the fuck involved with the Democrats and the campaign and getting the vote out. Of course that includes holding your nose. But such is reality. THE ELECTION IS THE ONLY TIME OUR OPINION MATTERS - YET LIBERALS PISS IT AWAY ELECTION CYCLE AFTER ELECTION CYCLE WAITING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO STEP IN WHILE WE ENJOY OUR LATTE' - AND SPLENDID LITTLE LIVES. >:-(
What's the reason to protest anything? Do you just accept everything that politicians amd governmemts do without even expressing your opinion? Lois

Protestors are being assaulted at Trump rallies. One of my friends plans to protest at a Trump rally. I hope she makes it out unscathed. I’m not going to protest at one of his rallies. I might if I were younger, but have no desire to get beaten to a pulp at my age.

Sorry seems like in the current circumstance it’s the equivalent of kicking the wall.
Okay I shouldn’t knock it,
even been known to do it (both) myself.
But in the end, it’s just venting.
May feel self satisfying, relieves a bit of pressure, but does nothing to address the problem itself.
Dare say it fans the flame, while doing nothing to prepare for the fire…

What's the point of protest?
In this case, trying to prevent repeating the atrocities the Nazis perpetrated.
In this case, trying to prevent repeating the atrocities the Nazis perpetrated. It's going to take more than protests to accomplish that. It demands an engagement in the political process, people giving a damned and networking with each other, and a level of community solidarity that just doesn't seem to exist. Heck look at this board, CFI, I'd think in a country of three hundred million, there's be more than a dozen, a couple dozen, wanting to kick around these ideas. But, it's like no one is into reflecting on what's happening to us and our country anymore. Or about discussing our ideas and wrestling with opposing thoughts in a civil manner. I guess maybe most people are simply and blindly reacting to immediate stimulus, while trying to keep their head's above water. I don't know, but it all feels like that slippery sliddy slope keeps getting slipperier and steeper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSpO2B6G4s
Protestors are being assaulted at Trump rallies. One of my friends plans to protest at a Trump rally. I hope she makes it out unscathed. I'm not going to protest at one of his rallies. I might if I were younger, but have no desire to get beaten to a pulp at my age.
Good thinking. There is a good reason most protestors are under 40. Lois
"The point of protesting at Trump rallies is to express disapproval of his message", while this rings true, the point is compromised by protestor violence and not respecting the rights of Trump supporters to hear his bullshit message.
Protester violence? You have it exactly backwards. Trump's supporters are assaulting protesters. I'm beginning to get truly worried about our country. I expected that of all places, these forums would be a gathering place for people who see and oppose the dangers Trump presents. While we have some people speaking out against Trump, it worries me that on a forum dedicated to critical thinking we have people so uninformed they blame the protesters and defend Trump when he does not tell people to stop the violence. Lately, Trump has stepped up the rhetoric. He even said he'd pay the legal fees of anyone who gets charged with assault at one of his rallies. Blaming the protestors is just ignorant.
"The point of protesting at Trump rallies is to express disapproval of his message", while this rings true, the point is compromised by protestor violence and not respecting the rights of Trump supporters to hear his bullshit message.
Protester violence? You have it exactly backwards. Trump's supporters are assaulting protesters. I'm beginning to get truly worried about our country. I expected that of all places, these forums would be a gathering place for people who see and oppose the dangers Trump presents. While we have some people speaking out against Trump, it worries me that on a forum dedicated to critical thinking we have people so uninformed they blame the protesters and defend Trump when he does not tell people to stop the violence. Lately, Trump has stepped up the rhetoric. He even said he'd pay the legal fees of anyone who gets charged with assault at one of his rallies. Blaming the protestors is just ignorant. Oh Darron and I was thinking you were starting to see what concerns me. Playing into Trumps hands isn't genius - it's stupid and playing into Trumps hands. After all, these pissing matches are won by the most ruthless, scruple-less character. And from the few news blurbs I've heard, he's making plenty of hay out of it, and though it may sound idiotic to us, his minions are eating it up, and I dare say getting lathered up for some bigger fun, (did you say the fight club arrived, show em in.) To beat Trump & Co (as opposed to just raising their dander) it's going to take something more thoughtful and constructive. Protests are for feel good, and sure getting your message out - but getting something accomplished takes boring, dedicated, grunt work and people talking to each other and trying to network and trying to create a counter movement of substance. How many people at those protests were also pamphleteering and trying to make people think, and trying to organize their numbers?

Couple points up front. I don’t agree with rushing the stage, grabbing the mike and flipping people off. I agree even less with Trump encouraging people to beat up protesters.
It’s funny that the Tea Party is named after a protest that involved a very illegal action. CC, you seem to have a very uninformed view of what protest is and how it works. Union strikes and marches in the South are positive examples of how protest works. It ain’t ever pretty.
I would rather people stood outside, handed out pamphlets to those going in, something like that, but at some point, I’m telling them to be complacent. What I say to young people is, I agree with you that the system is messed up, and I’m telling you the way to deal with that is to get what you can from the system, an education, a job, gain respectability, then you can work to change it. If you can’t see why a young person would think I might be feeding them a load of BS, then you have forgotten what it is to be young and have ideals.
I actually want young people to be independent enough and thinking for themselves enough that they do consider me full of crap. If they aren’t leaving the possibility open, then they aren’t using their brains.

Something that really helped me understand protests was watching the movie “Suffragette” that was released late last year.

Lausten, I think rushing the stage and grabbing the mic to protest Trump’s rhetoric is acceptable behavior, but the problem is it might encourage people to assault Trump when they get on the stage. As long as it doesn’t escalate into violence I have no problem. The protests at Trump rallies are getting publicity, and with any luck they will encourage people to get out and vote. Trump has crossed the line from passive approval to encouraging people to assault protesters, and that is very dangerous. Someone is going to get badly hurt or killed before his campaign ends.

It's funny that the Tea Party is named after a protest that involved a very illegal action. CC, you seem to have a very uninformed view of what protest is and how it works. Union strikes and marches in the South are positive examples of how protest works. It ain't ever pretty.
Actually, I think I have a fair appreciation for how it works. And I'm watching Trump evolve from a big joke, to the great hope for the angry, pissed off and at the end of their rope folks who have been drinking the Republican koolaid for too long. Time will tell. I would love it, if this turned out to a AH HA, moment for lazy liberals - time will tell. Guess, I've spent too many election cycles waiting for those masses of intelligent rational people to get out en mass, and say enough is enough of the Republican insanity. Still waiting But so far I have the feeling only Trump's been profiting. Oh how I would love to be proved totally absolutely wrong. Recent history doesn't give me much hope though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNp4LrWtz8M
:down:
Union strikes and marches in the South are positive examples of how protest works.
Yes, and those examples, are perfect examples of a mighty movement of unseen people, supporting those protesters. Lone protesters, lone protesters without a plan, are just that lone protesters pissing in the wind, and giving their ruthless adversaries live ammo. Where is their plan, where are their moral and material resources for the long haul??? (Like there was for the great examples you provided.) It's not the protests themselves I'm bitching about, it the aimlessness of the whole thing, and playing right into Trump's tiny, but oh so dangerous, hands that makes me so pessimistic. "Make America Great Again" - is as empty coming from the Left as it does coming from the Right - Anyone got a real vision?
Union strikes and marches in the South are positive examples of how protest works.
Yes, and those examples, are perfect examples of a mighty movement of unseen people, supporting those protesters. Lone protesters, lone protesters without a plan, are just that lone protesters pissing in the wind, and giving their ruthless adversaries live ammo. Where is their plan, where are their moral and material resources for the long haul??? (Like there was for the great examples you provided.) It's not the protests themselves I'm bitching about, it the aimlessness of the whole thing, and playing right into Trump's tiny, but oh so dangerous, hands that makes me so pessimistic. "Make America Great Again" - is as empty coming from the Left as it does coming from the Right - Anyone got a real vision? What they mean is: Make America a Great, Bullying Ignoramus Again.
In this case, trying to prevent repeating the atrocities the Nazis perpetrated. Hmmm, Had better look at what happened in Germany post WWI and the thirties. With that background to enable you to wrestle with the question how does a society of intelligent friendly tolerant individuals evolve into scared, angry, impassioned mass of people capable of the most unspeakable atrocities against mankind. Indochina Bosnia Mideast too many other places Time after time, people fall pray to their worst instincts and no one is capable of stopping them, because of in effectual liberal tolerant types. I totally agree something needs to be done. Cause seems to me like America is on the edge, pockets of violent never seemed more plausible, Imaging Trump as prez, and pockets of anarchy seem a big step closer. Of course all this will be played out against a back drop of increasing extreme and destructive weather events. We've truly entered that Russian Roulette period in human history, when each year will be adding a new round into the gun. How many major infrastructure destroying events can the nation rise to. Particularly when most the people are in denial that anything is going on. … to be con't, gotta run.
... Lone protesters, lone protesters without a plan, are just that lone protesters pissing in the wind, and giving their ruthless adversaries live ammo. Where is their plan, where are their moral and material resources for the long haul???
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Tianasquare.jpg A lone protester is better than no protester.

Remember Hitler was elected by a majority of voters–most likely by people with the same mentality as Trump supporters. Hitler and Trump: saviors, miracle workers. Trump will make America great again, just as Hitler made Germany great again. Let’s hope it doesn’t take another holocaust to get people’s attention.
Lois

What if you people are the best we have?
Which people?