Question for all members

Here’s a question for anyone who cares to weigh in. If Trump should do something–or several something’s–that convinces the general public–but not Congressional sycophants–that he is dangerous to democracy and the Constitution, what can be done? We can’t depend on Congress to impeach him, because Congress has a majority of sycophants who would never do anything to criticize their hero and soon he will have the Supreme court packed with more sycophants who won’t act against him. Given those truths, what could the people who see Trump dismantling the Constitution do about it? Given that we can’t vote him out for four more years and he could do untold damage in four years, and we also can’t get the majority sycophants out of Congress in time to do any good either, and given that we will never be able to get them out of the Supreme Court, are we at his mercy? No one, including the founding fathers, thought the US could be taken over by someone who would trash the Constitution and the American way of life with the assent of Congress and the Supreme Court. Will we soon have an American dictator with no way to stop him?
What I want to know is what can the American people do–not the bootlicking Congress or Supreme Court–do to stop him from becoming a dictator, short of armed rebellion? Is there any legal mechanism or are we sitting ducks?

Here's a question for anyone who cares to weigh in. If Trump should so something--or several something's--that convinces the general public--but not Congressional sycophants--that he is dangerous to democracy and the Constitution, what can be done? We can't depend on Congress to impeach him, because Congress has a majority of sycophants who would never do anything to criticize their hero and soon he will have the Supreme court packed with more sycophants who won't act against him. Given those truths, what could the people who see Trump dismantling the Constitution do about it? Given that we can't vote him out for four more years and he could do untold damage in four years, and we also can't get the majority sycophants out of Congress in time to do any good either, and given that we will never be able to get them out of the Supreme Court, are we at his mercy? No one, including the founding fathers, thought the US could be taken over by someone who would trash the Constitution and the American way of life with the assent of Congress and the Supreme Court. Will we soon have an American dictator with no way to stop him? What I want to know is what can the American people do--not the bootlicking Congress or Supreme Court--do to stop him from becoming a dictator, short of armed rebellion? Is there any legal mechanism or are we sitting ducks?
I think he is going to be impeached, if not by this Congress then the next. He has very few friends and gets by on using the same kind of fear and divisiveness that people like McCarthy did. Tyrants like that are only tolerated in the US for a short period of time. He's not going to be able to hide what he truly is and there are many people across the political spectrum who can't stand him. It may take a bit but Trump will either retire early or be impeached before 4 years are up. Being President is hard work in the glaring spotlight...and Trump is a cockroach.

Yes, Doug, but he’s also got incredibly powerful allies.
I think it’ll take literally millions of previously apathetic America citizens becoming scared, engaged, informed, proactive.
I actually believe in the power of petitioning your elected representative.
They got no backbone, but with thousands of letters in hand that backbone starts stiffening.
Getting that kind of uprising in this coddled self-satisfied nation is an altogether different story.
For instance, I been blogging like crazy and I see a slight upward trend in my number, but that don’t mean shit.
If I were to see genuine leaps and bounds in interest, that would make me optimistic.
As it is, most American’s won’t realize anything happened until it’s slams their own lives to the ground. And by then… who knows.
It is much, much easier to vandalize and destroy than it is to build something of substance. :down:
Trump's Dangerous Rhetoric - YouTube
What'sUpWithThatWatts, et al.: FBI Director Comey please discuss Trump's foreign entanglements
What'sUpWithThatWatts, et al.: FYI. Finding Your US Representative's Contact Info

Yes, Doug, but he's also got incredibly powerful allies. I think it'll take literally millions of previously apathetic America citizens becoming scared, engaged, informed, proactive. I actually believe in the power of petitioning your elected representative. They got no backbone, but with thousands of letters in hand that backbone starts stiffening. Getting that kind of uprising in this coddled self-satisfied nation is an altogether different story. For instance, I been blogging like crazy and I see a slight upward trend in my number, but that don't mean shit. If I were to see genuine leaps and bounds in interest, that would make me optimistic. As it is, most American's won't realize anything happened until it's slams their own lives to the ground. And by then... who knows. It is much, much easier to vandalize and destroy than it is to build something of substance. :down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCQhBYEMRQI http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2016/11/fbi-comey-discuss-trumps-entanglements.html http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2016/11/finding-us-representatives-contact-info.html
There's much to be concerned about but the US Congress can be a very fickle thing and more people voted for Hillary Clinton than did Donald Trump. Members of Congress will be looking at that and thinking about 2 years from now. Trump may have friends, but he's not really part of the establishment and if he's really here to tear it all down he's going to anger a large percentage of the population. He got away with a lot in the past because he was a celebrity...he's not any more. He's a politician and public figure open to all the same kinds of attacks that he subjected Obama to. And there is far more ammunition to use against Trump than there was Obama and some it could very well end with him facing serious criminal charges. Whatever its problems, the US isn't Russia or China. There are centuries of democratic tradition in America and Trump is going to find out just how much that still means to millions of Americans as he starts to take a sledge hammer to it. People are going to get hurt under this incoming administration, but most Americans will only tolerate a bully so far then they push back...hard.

I know lots of people who voted for Trump and they all said the same thing. I don’t like Trump but I won’t vote for Clinton. When push comes to shove Trump’s support will evaporate like the toxic fog it is.
The thing to be really vigilant about is Trump taking extra-judicial steps to secure his power in the same way people like Putin who he admires have. But then again the US isn’t Russia and a lot of those people I know who voted Trump are also heavily armed and very intolerant of anything that smacks of dictatorship. Trump has a very fine line to walk here, he pretended to be something he’s not to get elected and now he has to keep fooling enough people to stay in office.
If he starts playing the division card too much he will be removed from office for he will be presenting a clear and present danger to the republic.

A big problem is that the Senate doesn’t come up for reelection for six years, so the Senate majority is set in stone throughout Trump’s term. The next House election isn’t until 2018 and who knows if Republicans would have enough backbone to vote against any Trump toadies (so far there is no indication whatsoever of any Republican backbone). There is no chance of change in the House until 2018–plenty of time for Trump to wreak his destruction on the country with the assent of Congress. By then we’ll have a dictator instead of a president. Who knows if Trump and the Republican Congress wouldn’t cancel the 2020 election altogether and declare Trump the winner. That’s exactly how dictators are created–and we have no protection against it but armed rebelllion.
Lois

A big problem is that the Senate doesn't come up for reelection for six years, so the Senate majority is set in stone throughout Trump's term. The next House election isn't until 2018 and who knows if Republicans would have enough backbone to vote against any Trump toadies (so far there is no indication whatsoever of any Republican backbone). There is no chance of change in the House until 2018--plenty of time for Trump to wreak his destruction on the country with the assent of Congress. By then we'll have a dictator instead of a president. Who knows if Trump and the Republican Congress wouldn't cancel the 2120 election altogether and declare Trump the winner. That's exactly how dictators are created--and we have no protection against it but armed rebelllion. Lois
1/3 of the Senate is up for election every 2 years, 33 seats will be contested in 2018 as well as all the seats in the House. If Trump pisses off enough people in that time the entire balance could swing to the Democratic side. At which point the knives really come out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2018 As for Trump getting a free ride from a Republican dominated Congress, he's not a real Republican, most in the party establishment can't stand him. He wasn't supported with party funds and got few endorsements. The first opportunity they have to dump him in favor of Pence whom they like and Trump is down the road. The Republicans don't have a super-majority in Congress, they're not going to be able to ram anything they like through. The next few years are going to be tough, but Trump is just heading one branch of government, there's a reason the US was created with 3. To keep someone like him from totally taking over.
I know lots of people who voted for Trump and they all said the same thing. I don't like Trump but I won't vote for Clinton. When push comes to shove Trump's support will evaporate like the toxic fog it is. The thing to be really vigilant about is Trump taking extra-judicial steps to secure his power in the same way people like Putin who he admires have. But then again the US isn't Russia and a lot of those people I know who voted Trump are also heavily armed and very intolerant of anything that smacks of dictatorship. Trump has a very fine line to walk here, he pretended to be something he's not to get elected and now he has to keep fooling enough people to stay in office. If he starts playing the division card too much he will be removed from office for he will be presenting a clear and present danger to the republic.
How long could an armed insurrection by the citizenry last against the US military, of which Trump will be the commander in chief? The point is, there is no legal way that I can think of for the citizenry to act if Trump has Congress and the Supreme Court in his pocket. I wouldn't put ANYTHING past the Republicans in power. Congress has a majority of Trump lapdogs, and soon the Supreme Court will, as well.
A big problem is that the Senate doesn't come up for reelection for six years, so the Senate majority is set in stone throughout Trump's term. The next House election isn't until 2018 and who knows if Republicans would have enough backbone to vote against any Trump toadies (so far there is no indication whatsoever of any Republican backbone). There is no chance of change in the House until 2018--plenty of time for Trump to wreak his destruction on the country with the assent of Congress. By then we'll have a dictator instead of a president. Who knows if Trump and the Republican Congress wouldn't cancel the 2120 election altogether and declare Trump the winner. That's exactly how dictators are created--and we have no protection against it but armed rebelllion. Lois
1/3 of the Senate is up for election every 2 years, 33 seats will be contested in 2018 as well as all the seats in the House. If Trump pisses off enough people in that time the entire balance could swing to the Democratic side. At which point the knives really come out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2018 As for Trump getting a free ride from a Republican dominated Congress, he's not a real Republican, most in the party establishment can't stand him. He wasn't supported with party funds and got few endorsements. The first opportunity they have to dump him in favor of Pence whom they like and Trump is down the road. The Republicans don't have a super-majority in Congress, they're not going to be able to ram anything they like through. The next few years are going to be tough, but Trump is just heading one branch of government, there's a reason the US was created with 3. To keep someone like him from totally taking over. I hope you're right but my hopes have been dashed before. I never in a million years would have thought that the American electorate could be so stupid as to elect an complete ass, who is capable of anything, but look where we are now.

Trump is also being scathing about the media, he’s created a hostile environment in which to operate and there’s more than enough dirt on him to cover many news cycles. Get ready to hear more about women he’s sexually assaulted, connection to people like Putin, racist comments and policies and more.
The office of President isn’t just a managerial position, it’s also a reflection of the national character. How do you think many Americans are going to feel after a year or so of looking in the mirror and seeing the leering face of Trump smirking back? As thick as his skin, is by the time Trump leaves office he’s going to be feeling all the disgust that millions of Americans already feel towards him. He’s the focus and poster boy of what’s worst about America not best. And every day he sits in the Oval Office will be a constant reminder of that to all Americans. Some might revel in that sickness, I’d venture most do not.

1/3 of the Senate is up for election every 2 years, 33 seats will be contested in 2018 as well as all the seats in the House. If Trump pisses off enough people in that time the entire balance could swing to the Democratic side. At which point the knives really come out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2018 As for Trump getting a free ride from a Republican dominated Congress, he's not a real Republican, most in the party establishment can't stand him. He wasn't supported with party funds and got few endorsements. The first opportunity they have to dump him in favor of Pence whom they like and Trump is down the road. The Republicans don't have a super-majority in Congress, they're not going to be able to ram anything they like through. The next few years are going to be tough, but Trump is just heading one branch of government, there's a reason the US was created with 3. To keep someone like him from totally taking over. I hpe you're right but my hopes have been dashed before. I never in a million years would have thought that the American electorate could be so stupid as to elect an complete ass, who is capable of anything, but look where we are now. The country has come through some tough times in the past, it's a LOT bigger than Donald Drumpf. Even his name is phony.
1/3 of the Senate is up for election every 2 years, 33 seats will be contested in 2018 as well as all the seats in the House. If Trump pisses off enough people in that time the entire balance could swing to the Democratic side. At which point the knives really come out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2018 As for Trump getting a free ride from a Republican dominated Congress, he's not a real Republican, most in the party establishment can't stand him. He wasn't supported with party funds and got few endorsements. The first opportunity they have to dump him in favor of Pence whom they like and Trump is down the road. The Republicans don't have a super-majority in Congress, they're not going to be able to ram anything they like through. The next few years are going to be tough, but Trump is just heading one branch of government, there's a reason the US was created with 3. To keep someone like him from totally taking over. Correction, of course, I meant the 2020 election. I fixed my error in my original post. "In 2018, Democrats are expected to have 23 seats up for election, additionally 2 independents who caucus with the Democrats are facing the end of their current term. Republicans are expected to have 8 seats up for election." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2018 So to make any appreciable impact on Congress, all 8 Republicans would have to be defeated and all 23 Democrats and two Independents would have to hold onto their seats. How likely is that? In addition,,the whole House of Represemtatoves comes up for election in 2018. How many Republicans will hold onto their seats? Republican voters are unlikely to change their votes for something so minor as a dictatorial takeover and trashing of the Constitution. Are they likely to suddenly start thinking rationally witnin two years. Stupid is usually forever.

Also listen to genuine Americans like CC, if you’re not happy about what’s going on then let your Senator and Representative know. Send emails or even better letters. Send opinion pieces to papers or start your own blog like CC.
There’s no way to truly silence an opposition in America and even trying to do so can create a movement to push back even harder.
Trump just gave the finger to the freest nation in the world… why not return the gesture.

Also listen to genuine Americans like CC, if you're not happy about what's going on then let your Senator and Representative know. Send emails or even better letters. Send opinion pieces to papers or start your own blog like CC. There's no way to truly silence an opposition in America and even trying to do so can create a movement to push back even harder. Trump just gave the finger to the freest nation in the world... why not return the gesture.
You don't have to convince me. You have to convince the ignorant electorate that put Trump in the presidency in the first place. How likely is that?

Hillary Clinton won the popular vote and thousands of American immediately protested the election of Trump. There’s already a very powerful opposition to Trump in the US, it’s only going to grow.

Trump just gave the finger to the freest nation in the world... why not return the gesture.
Sounds like a good idea. Hello is anybody out there?

DougC, regarding your comment at #12, I’m compelled to do this because I’m an empathic kinda guy and think about other people. Also although I’m a bit of a reclusive I do feel deeply connected to the whole flow of humanity and me being a part of it. Although with that goes an awareness of time, opportunities and opportunities lost make a difference, because I can already feel that consequences will be trouble though I couldn’t spell it all out.
I was in agony during the 2000 election results debacle that lasted weeks, because I was in terror of what would happen with the Republicans in charge. Man was my terror well placed when they purposely let down America’s guard, in the hopes of a little incident, never appreciating their enemies enough to know they could have some big surprises in store. Then the whole Iraq War of Profit, jesus from the very first planning the only thing was guaranteed was that it would unleash ad endless flow of freshly traumatized terrorist recruits against America, now with the American inflicted self-righteous fervor of revenge in their hearts.
Here we go again. It’s going to be ugly and very painful, can feel it in these old bones. These people we put in charge are absolutely amoral and aren’t aware of anyone else enough to care how much misery they inflict. Now what I can’t figure out is why is my, and dare say your connectedness with the greater world, so seemingly rare?
At Thanksgiving hearing these people talking about their 10, 20 years plans for life and finance and I’m thinking you sad sacks, you actually believe what we’ve know these past decades is a guide for the next decades. These people really think that if they ignore the state of our physical planet all will be okay.
Late 1930s here we are all over again. Except a hell of a lot more angry people and we’ve run out of space, resources and time. :down:

Here’s another question:
https://chat.hotwhopper.com/discussion/166/new-blog-idea-need-to-track-trump-news-in-a-systematic-and-searchable-manner

DougC, regarding your comment at #12, I'm compelled to do this because I'm an empathic kinda guy and think about other people. Also although I'm a bit of a reclusive I do feel deeply connected to the whole flow of humanity and me being a part of it. Although with that goes an awareness of time, opportunities and opportunities lost make a difference, because I can already feel that consequences will be trouble though I couldn't spell it all out. I was in agony during the 2000 election results debacle that lasted weeks, because I was in terror of what would happen with the Republicans in charge. Man was my terror well placed when they purposely let down America's guard, in the hopes of a little incident, never appreciating their enemies enough to know they could have some big surprises in store. Then the whole Iraq War of Profit, jesus from the very first planning the only thing was guaranteed was that it would unleash ad endless flow of freshly traumatized terrorist recruits against America, now with the American inflicted self-righteous fervor of revenge in their hearts. Here we go again. It's going to be ugly and very painful, can feel it in these old bones. These people we put in charge are absolutely amoral and aren't aware of anyone else enough to care how much misery they inflict. Now what I can't figure out is why is my, and dare say your connectedness with the greater world, so seemingly rare? At Thanksgiving hearing these people talking about their 10, 20 years plans for life and finance and I'm thinking you sad sacks, you actually believe what we've know these past decades is a guide for the next decades. These people really think that if they ignore the state of our physical planet all will be okay. Late 1930s here we are all over again. Except a hell of a lot more angry people and we've run out of space, resources and time. :down:
I know what you're saying, I've spent the last couple of decades like a spectator at a slow motion train wreck trying to tell people to get out of the way, but so many are just lost in the moment of it all. As for trump and a lot of people like him, at least in this recent case there is a very unpleasant common denominator that seems to be at work here. Trump got elected to head of the US executive branch with a lot of help from Vladimir Putin and Julian Assange. What is it that may bring together these three seemingly totally unconnected people? http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/22/alexander-litvinenko-slain-ex-kgb-spy-accused-puti/ http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/julian-assanges-arrest-warrant-rape-case-upheld-sweden-court-n649296 http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/10/15/a-look-at-the-women-making-allegations-against-trump_n_12503064.html They're all predators and we're the prey.
Trump may have friends, but he's not really part of the establishment and if he's really here to tear it all down he's going to anger a large percentage of the population.
"Establishment" to me means the common system that both parties share, the lobbyists that get their way with Deems and Reps. Military for example. Trump is not "draining the swamp" as far as I can see. It looks like by "establishment" he meant "their lobbyists". He was using a code word for "their spending", "their issues". What do you mean by "establishment"?