"Wake up"

One term that I find rather annoying is “wake up,” referring to political dissent. That just seems demeaning, that someone can think that others who disagree are somehow asleep and cannot possibly have their own valid reasons for supporting the politics that they do.

I hear you, but most who use the term probably don’t mean it that way.
The current version is “woke” thanks to black lives matter.

One term that I find rather annoying is "wake up," referring to political dissent. That just seems demeaning, that someone can think that others who disagree are somehow asleep and cannot possibly have their own valid reasons for supporting the politics that they do.
It fits perfectly if you’re talking about the current crop of Republicans. Lois
I hear you, but most who use the term probably don't mean it that way. The current version is "woke" thanks to black lives matter.
All the way from Olgino, you've got great ears... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Research_Agency
One term that I find rather annoying is "wake up," referring to political dissent. That just seems demeaning, that someone can think that others who disagree are somehow asleep and cannot possibly have their own valid reasons for supporting the politics that they do.
trump is president, the Kochs run the republican party and the Dems are still pretending that its base is behind their establishment after the 2016 debacle. Pretty sure it is time for the US electorate to wake the f... up.

There is never a time where sleeping through life is acceptable. It used to be that we couldn’t get the information we needed to be aware of how we are constantly exploited, people were too busy just surviving. That’s not an excuse anymore. The cycle is now that people get more information, start to gain power, then the people who’ve always had the power take it away. Net Neutrality is the next big battle ground for that. They know they need us, since it takes the majority doing the work to create wealth, but they have kept the ability to hoard so they can kill off the next generation of intellectuals and go back to getting poor people fighting with each and the cycle starts again. The cycle is getting shorter now and we can watch it play out in other countries, so it’s getting harder for them keep it up.
The millienials who blame the boomers for their problems are an example of looking in the wrong place for the enemy. Understandably, every generation goes through this, you are given this simplistic view of the world as a child, then you find out it’s complicated, you feel lied to, cheated, and you are angry because no one is doing anything about the problems. Eventually, you try to actually do something instead of just playing drums and making puppets and yelling at people in tall buildings. You find out there are lots of people working on a better world and the work is actually pretty hard.

Pretty sure it is time for the US electorate to wake the f... up.
That about sums it up. Get your stupid Hollyworld saturated brains out of your boobtubes ! just doesn't have the ring to it.

Everyone disagrees with me? Huh.
Hypothetical scenario: someone tells you to “wake up” regarding faked moon landings. Would anyone find that somewhat insulting, or at least a misplaced metaphor?

Everyone disagrees with me? Huh. Hypothetical scenario: someone tells you to "wake up" regarding faked moon landings. Would anyone find that somewhat insulting, or at least a misplaced metaphor?
Nah, I don't feel insulted by others' stupidity or ignorance - annoyed, maybe. "Wake up" is simply a term used to dramatize the opinions of the one saying it. It also conveys a type of social position, e.g. right side vs wrong side. We all use certain phrases to enhance what we think or believe.
Everyone disagrees with me? Huh. Hypothetical scenario: someone tells you to "wake up" regarding faked moon landings. Would anyone find that somewhat insulting, or at least a misplaced metaphor?
Nah, I don't feel insulted by others' stupidity or ignorance - annoyed, maybe. "Wake up" is simply a term used to dramatize the opinions of the one saying it. It also conveys a type of social position, e.g. right side vs wrong side. We all use certain phrases to enhance what we think or believe. You mean at the IRA, from what I understand everything you post from there is carefully monitored.

OK, then. Guess I’m over-thinking on the phrase.