United Americans living on the Native Americans lands

Totally genuine. You’re still disruptive to this forum though, so my sympathies sometimes are in conflict with my role as moderator.

I don’t know what confused you, I was pointing out that young people being distracted by pop culture is not limited to any particular race or culture. A recent #1 hit doesn’t change that. The fact that you “haven’t seen any” is a comment on your awareness of the world and your ability to put on blinders and look for information to confirm your bias. You are quick to say others are indoctrinated and psycho-analyze them, but not so quick to listen to the broader landscape. Then you have the nerve to say I’m the one being “morally superior”.

2 Likes

@ mitch70. There are many Caucasians that believe that their race has done a great disservice to the indigenous people of the Northern Americans by overtaking their lands and even going so far as to build infrastructure on these indigenous peoples’ lands.

Lausten’s comment had me going back to the start of this.

Yes we (European nations) did Americans (North and South!) a monstrous disservice when we came over the ocean to destroy civilizations and commit genocide on an unimaginable level, plunder and destroy living landscapes and more.

The incredible thing is that many people never consider our deeper roots. And yes Mitch, what went down is hideous up and down and inside out and any other way to want to look at it. White Man’s Original Sin.
Now our idiotic egomaniacal rampage is reaching its crescendo.

While I’m wondering what point Mitch was trying to make.

I did say “and other places”. I really can’t list them all, but I do know there are many in the U.S. However, I was not aware of any reservations in the east. I do believe reservations are mostly west of Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana.

BTW, thank you. You gave a very good example of N.A. students in colleges, as well as how many tribes. There are numerous tribes getting a free education.

Wouldn’t the free education be considered a form of reparations?

Yes, is considered part of the reparations. I forget the name of the government deal, but a free education is part of the deal, as well as health care, housing, and other things in the package.

Seems he was proposing that Causasians come bearing good gifts, instead of misery.

We know that Cucasians especially are an invasive branch of the human species.

A perfect analogy can be found in the picture of small goldfish pair in a bowl that are pretty to look at and are good fishbowl companions to other goldfish sized fish.

Now release that pair of gold fish in a lake and in a few years the lake will have no other fish but gold fish which have now swollen to gigantic proportions and have eaten all the other fish in the lake.

This was proven by the introduction of Japanese Koi (a carp) into Colorado Lake

“These are domestic fish actually.These are fish from a store I imagine. They can out-compete the native fish. They may need to drain the lake to remove the goldfish or using electro fishing, where they stun the fish and remove the invasive species. Goldfish are not a native species and are very harmful to the local aquatic ecosystem,” district wildlife manager for Boulder, Kristin Cannon says. “We strongly encourage the public not to dump their unwanted pet fish in our waters. It is bad for our environment, as well as illegal.

Caucasians are like the Koi carp. “veni, vidi, vici." (”I came, I saw, I conquered")

Natives aren’t even a blip on the radar demographically, politically or culturally. That is why their concerns don’t matter much to the big picture.

You just like to flaunt your ignorance, don’t you?

Native American Contributions
Number 1

DID YOU KNOW THAT THAT NATIVE AMERICANS HAVE CONTRIBUTED MANY THINGS TO THE AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE TODAY

Things that you use or do now, many Native Americans have been using and doing for many, many years. Many times, the only thing people remember about Native Americans are the negative things-but they contribute many positive things and should be remembered for them. A lot of time, we only think about things we can readily identify as representing Native Americans, such as their fine art work. Yes-the people of the Southwest are known for their beautiful silver and turquoise jewelry. The people of the Northwest Coast are known for their fantastic woodcarvings. The Plains Indians are well known for their beautiful beadwork.

But other than art, the Native Americans have influenced many areas of American living. Some of these things were begun long before the arrival of the European settlers on North American land.

DID YOU KNOW THAT ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECTS OF NATIVE AMERICAN LIFE IS ECOLOGY?

People of today have just begun to think about this. The Native Americans have always had a deep respect for the land. There was a love of every form of life. The Native Americans did not kill anything they could not use. They never killed an animal or a fish for the sport of it. Fishing and hunting were a way to survive. The Native Americans lived in harmony with nature and did not abuse the natural world. Native Americans were ecologists long before they were ever used.

The Anishinaabe people do not have a word for “Conservation”, because it is an assumed way of life, it did not have to have a special word.

DID YOU KNOW THAT MANY OF THE FOODS WE EAT TODAY WERE FIRST GROWN BY NATIVE AMERICANS?

Native Americans learned to grow and use many different kinds of food that many people eat today, never considering that they first came from Native Americans: potatoes, beans, corn, peanuts, pumpkins, tomatoes, squash, peppers, nuts, melons, and sunflower seeds. They also helped the European settlers survive in the New World by sharing their farming methods with them.

DID YOU KNOW THAT MANY OF THE GAMES YOU PLAY TODAY CAME FROM NATIVE AMERICANS?

Canoeing, snowshoeing, tobogganing, lacrosse, relay races, tug-of-wars, and ball games are just a few of the games early Native Americans played and still enjoy today. Many youth groups such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Campfire and YMCA Guides have programs based largely on Native American crafts and lore.

DID YOU KNOW THAT THE IDEA FOR THE U.S. GOVERNMENT WAS ADOPTED FROM THE NATIVE AMERICANS?**

Benjamin Franklin said that the idea of the federal government, in which certain powers are given to a central government and all other powers are reserved for the states, was borrowed from the system of government used by the Iroquoian League of Nations.

The federal system was practiced by Europeans long before the USA. Switzerland has governed itself that way since the Middle Ages. Native American arts and sports might be popular with some Americans but they are far from national pastimes.

We do eat a lot of foods native to the Americas but we don’t eat them like Natives did.

[quote=“thatoneguy, post:29, topic:8173, full:true”]

The federal system was practiced by Europeans long before the USA. Switzerland has governed itself that way since the Middle Ages. Native American arts and sports might be popular with some Americans but they are far from national pastimes.

The only government Americans were familiar with was a Monarchy, the power which prevailed until the Declaration of Independence .

What is little known is that Benjamin Franklin was a political journalist and was present at many Treaty gatherings with the Natives. During a meeting with the 5 Iriquoi Nations, Franklin was exposed to the local Laws and form of representative government. He was impressed with its inherent neutral logic and representative fairness that he took notes and used these notes later to help write the Constitution

|Iroquois Confederacy and the Great Law of Peace = United States Constitution|
GLP : Restricts members from holding more than one office in the Confederacy.|
USC: Article I, Section 6, Clause 2 , also known as the Ineligibility Clause or the Emoluments Clause bars members of serving members of Congress from holding offices established by the federal government, while also baring members of the executive branch or judicial branch from serving in the U.S. House or Senate.|

GLP: Outlines processes to remove leaders within the Confederacy|
USC: Article II, Section 4 reads “The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and the conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors.”|

GLP: Designates two branches of legislature with procedures for passing laws|
USC: Article I, Section 1 , or the Vesting Clauses , read “All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.” It goes on to outline their legislative powers.|

GLP: Delineates who has the power to declare war|
USC: Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 , also known as the War Powers Clause , gives Congress the power, “To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;”|
GLP: Creates a balance of power between the Iroquois Confederacy and individual tribes|The differing duties assigned to the three branches of the U.S. Government: Legislative (Congress), Executive (President), and Judicial (Supreme Court) act to balance and separate power in government.|

We do eat a lot of foods native to the Americas but we don’t eat them like Natives did.

Of course we do . But the European diet was different than the Natives. But that does not in any way affect the importance of Native Indian cuisine.

Ever had"bitterroot"?

The most important Native American crops have generally included corn, beans, squash, pumpkins, sunflowers, wild rice, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, peanuts, avocados, papayas, potatoes and cacao.[[1]]

Native American food and cuisine is recognized by its use of indigenous domesticated and wild food ingredients.[[2]]

(Indigenous cuisine of the Americas - Wikipedia)

An investigation of the edible and medicinal plants used by the Flathead Indians

This does not mean that favored berrying and digging grounds were not visited year after year if the harvest was good, but it is questionable whether these grounds were regarded as private property. It is more likely that they were considered communal property since several families often harvested the crop of one digging or berrying ground.

https://scholarworks.umt.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7709&context=etd&httpsredir=1&referer=

What I don’t understand is your casual treatment of the influence Indian law had on the US Constitution. If we cherish The Constitution for its neutrality and attempt at fairness we must surely acknowledge all contributors to the Constitution.

We like Benjamin Franklin and some of the other prominent contributors, but consider that the Native Laws also did contribute to the US Constitution and should be remembered with the same fondness we bestow on our “founders”.

This important historical fact belongs in history books. You can barely find a record in libraries. Who knows, how many people raised an eyebrow by this revelation that sheds a whole new light on the multidimensional cultures these so called “savages” practiced.

Let us celebrate the moral contributions Native Indians have brought to the “White Man Civilization.”

You really aren’t paying attention. We have at least one N.A. person in congress. They are also fighting a pipeline in the Dakotas (BTW, I stand with Standing Rock, concerning the pipeline). N.A. are really involved with politics. Within this group are the Water Protectors, who are very much in politics. Sadly, LaDonna, a Water Protector, died of cancer.

Then there is Deb Haaland, who has been climbing the political ladder for years now.

Then there is Sharice Davis, of Kansas and member of the Ho-Chunk nation (Winnebago). There is also Kimberly Teehee of the Cherokee Nation.

Diane J. Humetewa of the Hopi Nation

Ada E. Brown Choctaw Nation

Here’s a whole list of past and present Native Americans in U.S. politics, though I’m not a fan of Wickedpedia, but for this it will do.

There are just as many in office as there are Black people in office, so they are more than a blimp, unless you want to say that Black U.S. citizens are a blimp in politics. That I will agree with, if you think that’s a blimp. We really do need more minorities in government than we currently have. The thing is, anyone who says N.A. are a blimp, don’t have a clue as to what is happening with N.A. or what they are doing in current politics and probably don’t even care, much less have any desire to know, because they are under the misconception that N.A. are such a small population that they don’t matter and don’t do anything. You’d be surprised just how involved they are and in what numbers.

https://www.ncai.org/about-tribes/demographics

• Approximately 4,871,103 million American Indians and Alaska Natives are of voting age.2
  • The median age on reservations is 29, while the median age for the total U.S. population is 38.4

And this is why thatoneguy believes N.A. are just a blimp and practically extinct, which they are not. The majority live in certain states, where there were reservations and a small minority of that group have left the Rez, even though some of those Rez have become cities and towns.

Blockquote * According to the Census Bureau 2018 Population Estimates, the states with the highest proportion of American Indians and Alaska Natives are: Alaska (27.9%), Oklahoma (17.4%), New Mexico (14.5%), South Dakota (12%), and Montana (9.2%).5

However, if we want to get technical, the vast majority of people in the U.S. identify as white or a combination of white and another ethnic group. In the U.S., white people make up 75% of the population, which means all other groups, including Blacks, are a blimp, by thatoneguys’ definition. The only reason he thinks Native Americans are almost extinct, is because they aren’t as widespread as Black people are, but if he lived in certain parts of the Nation, they’d be as numerous as Black people and Black people would hardly be noticable. That said, even by his definition, Black people are almost extinct.

On the 2020 census, N.A. population increased by 86.5%

Blockquote The American Indian and Alaska Native population, alone and in combination, increased from 5.2 million in 2010 to 9.7 million in 2020, a 86.5 percent increase.

This makes the American Indian and Alaska Native people represent 2.9 percent of the U.S. population.

Now, let’s look at the 2020 Black population in the U.S.

Blockquote * U.S. Black population (which is inclusive of the following three demographic subgroups):

• Single-race, non-Hispanic Black people
  • Multiracial, non-Hispanic Black people
  • Black Hispanic people

Blockquote There were 46.8 million people in the U.S. who identified as Black in 2019. The Black population has grown by more than 10 million since 2000, when 36.2 million of the U.S. population identified as Black, marking a 29% increase over almost two decades.

More than 4.6 million Black people in the U.S. were born outside the country as of 2019, meaning that 10% of the Black population was foreign born. This is an increase from 2000, when 2.4 million people, or roughly 7%, among the Black population were foreign born.

There are more Native Americans, in the U.S., than there are Black people and yet, those who are ignorant about minorities, wouldn’t know it just by observation. Of course, some see someone who looks white as being white. They wouldn’t know the difference between a Black person who looks white, say one who is 1/8, and a European-American mutt. Then again, maybe it’s a good thing, because they can’t discriminate if see one as being one of them when they aren’t. Then again, maybe they don’t like anyone.

Your links do not show this.

As I said – not even a blip on the radar. None of these politicians are making any waves and Native American affairs are simply not on most Americans minds.

Unless you live in a town that has/had a sports team with a Native American reference in the name.

So by that definition, Black people are also a blip on the radar?

Blockquote None of these politicians are making any waves and Native American affairs are simply not on most Americans minds.

Maybe your mind, but there are many U.S. citizens who do think about them. It’s racist who don’t give a damn who ignore them and other minorities.

Yeah, there’s a lot of Native Americans up in arms about the Chiefs and there are negotiations with them to change things so that the Chiefs and their fans aren’t so offensive.

Does that tell you something about an “informed citizenry”?

I don’t know the history of the Chiefs name, but in Cleveland, the baseball team was renamed to Indians in honor of the (debatable) first Native American playing in the league who played on the team (prior to the rename)

I can understand that the logo and “Chief Wahoo” may have been offensive, but they’ve been phasing it out.

And by law, we still have to let them vote. :roll_eyes: