The Cannondolls, "but I didn't see the knife behind his back" - HELP ME PUT TOGETHER A trump INAUGURATION PLAY LIST.

You know when I switch on my truck radio, which is tuned into KSUT (NPR) it feels to me like Russian roulette -
See, I can’t help it, they play contemporary “cool” music, most the music being pumped out these days does nothing for me,
and much of it make me run - well slam the radio shut - thus the radio roulette - at its best it’s boring derivative schlock, too often I’m stuck listening to down right garbage (in my ears),
the squeaky smarmy voices that get air-time these days, lordie, lordie, click, I rather listen to gears shifting.
Thus it’s wonderful to have a new song come in over the airwaves that’s like a breath of fresh air.
Thus it was with this little ditty that had me bouncing in my seat and in awe of their storytelling, … worksmithing.
Not that it’s Pulitzer Prize stuff, but considering how many lyricists these days think all they need is to come up with is a sentence or two,
then repeat them dozen words ad nausea and call it good,
it’s wonderful to hear snappy lyrics and a kick you in the ass story, delivered by sweet solid voices and good make your backbone move music.
I loved it, and hope at least some of you will find it as charming. :cheese:
I believe another reason why it so resonated with me was that it seemed a perfect metaphorical description of our
silly self-absorbed thoughtless American Sheople who have collectively handed our government over to people who want to destroy it.
In an odd way it was a cosmic giggle in that it arrived on the air waves just when my nosediving spirit really appreciated some sort of affirming lifeline
no matter how tenuous. A good laugh, a lil spontaneous dance and fun tracking the lyrics. A reminder that good homespun music was still being made.
Felt nice and I think the song (and band) is worth sharing.

"Diamonds And Gold" by The Cannondolls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_0rQEv3iBo Published on Sep 28, 2016 An original song! Live from Civic Center Park in beautiful downtown Denver, Colorado for the Civic Center Eats event Featuring: Caitlin Cannon - Guitar & Lead Vocals Kate Willyard - Cajon & Vocals Alissa Wolf - Violin

Speaking of metaphorical reflections of what just happened in WashingtonDC and our country this song here is way more direct,
and every bit as cool, perhaps you could even call it a prettier (if just as direct) song.
Also a Colorado band.

Oakhurst - Moonshine Still https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iAjEbRZ9jA 2008ish
Can't resist tossing in, the mandolin player is one my tightest bros, going way back. Watched him play his first guitar when it was bigger than he was. It's been a fun ride. Too bad, it seems to have been a one shot deal. I mourn that my kids and grandkids will never experience the world as it was not so long ago.

Alright I need a trinity for closure. There’s no competition.

The Last Resort Eagles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdx6oyBOVj0 Lyrics She came from Providence, the one in Rhode Island Where the old world shadows hang heavy in the air She packed her hopes and dreams like a refugee, Just as her father came across the sea She heard about a place people were smilin', They spoke about the red man's way, how they loved the land And they came from everywhere to the Great Divide Seeking a place to stand or a place to hide Down in the crowded bars out for a good time, Can't wait to tell you all what it's like up there And they called it paradise, I don't know why Somebody laid the mountains low while the town got high Then the chilly winds blew down across the desert, Through the canyons of the coast to the Malibu Where the pretty people play hungry for power To light their neon way and give them things to do Some rich man came and raped the land, nobody caught 'em, Put up a bunch of ugly boxes and, Jesus, people bought 'em And they called it paradise, the place to be, They watched the hazy sun sinking in the sea You can leave it all behind and sail to Lahaina Just like the missionaries did so many years ago They even brought a neon sign 'Jesus is Coming', Brought the white man's burden down, brought the white man's reign Who will provide the grand design, what is yours and what is mine? 'Cause there is no more new frontier, we have got to make it here We satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds In the name of destiny and in the name of God And you can see them there on Sunday morning Stand up and sing about what it's like up there They called it paradise, I don't know why You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye Written by Glenn Frey, Don Henley • Copyright © Cass County Music / Wisteria Music / Privet Music, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc, Universal Music Publishing Group, Red Cloud Music

Okay, been hoping someone would add to this list.
So, now I turn it into an invitation.
What kind of play-list can we come up with? %-P

Golden Country] by REO Speedwagon
Golden country your face is so red
With all of your money your poor can be fed
You strut around and you flirt with disaster
Never really carin’ just what comes after
Well your blacks are dyin’ but your back is still turned
And your freaks are cryin’ but your back is still turned
You better stop your hidin or your country will burn
The time has come for you my friend
To all this ugliness we must put an end
Before we leave we must make a stand
Mortgage people you crawl to your homes
Your security lies in your bed of white foam
You act concerned but then why turn away
When a lady was raped on your doorstep today
Well your blacks are cryin’ but your back is still turned
And your freaks are dyin’ but your back is still turned
Before we leave we must make a stand, oh yeah…
Golden country your face is so red
With all of your money your poor can be fed
You strut around and you flirt with disaster
Never really carin’ just what comes after
Well your blacks are dyin’ but your back is still turned
And your freaks are cryin’ but your back is still turned
Before we leave we must make a stand

Mr Greed] by John Fogerty
Mr. Greed, why you got to own everything that you see?
Mr. Greed, why you put a chain on everybody livin’ free?
You’re hungerin’ for his house, you’re hungerin’ for his wife,
And your appetite will never be denied.
You’re a devil of consumption; I hope you choke, Mr. Greed.
How do you get away with robbin’? Did your mother teach you how?
I hear you got away with murder, did you do your mama proud?
Mr. Greed, why you got to take more than you can ever use?
Bring 'em to their knees; isn’t it enough just to win while they lose?
You bring no honor to the game, you feast upon the blood and pain,
But the bones you hoard can only bring you shame.
There’s corruption in your path, be that your epitaph, Mr. Greed.

And maybe the most appropriate song for this inauguration…
Obscenity Prayer] by Rodney Crowell
Give to me my time and money
Give to me my milk and honey
Give to me my self respect
Golden chains around my neck
Give to me my super model
Corporate jet and champagne bottle
Get me out there on the town
Let me spread my wealth around
I could learn to love this life I lead
But just don’t take away the things I need
I feel rosy in the pink
So just don’t make me stop and think
All those dark thoughts in my head
Seem like better left unsaid
Give it to me
(Give it, give it, give it, give it)
Give it to me
Give it to me
Give to me my latest fashion
Make my lover burn with passion
Give to me my charm and wit
Keep my body young and fit
Give to…

But wait, there’s more!
Your Flag Decal Won’t Get You Into Heaven Any More] by John Prine
While digesting Reader’s Digest
In the back of a dirty book store,
A plastic flag, with gum on the back,
Fell out on the floor.
Well, I picked it up and I ran outside
Slapped it on my window shield,
And if I could see old Betsy Ross
I’d tell her how good I feel.
But your flag decal won’t get you
Into Heaven any more.
They’re already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don’t like killin’
No matter what the reason’s for,
And your flag decal won’t get you
Into Heaven any more.
Well, I went to the bank this morning
And the cashier he said to me,
“If you join the Christmas club
We’ll give you ten of them flags for free.”
Well, I didn’t mess around a bit
I took him up on what he said.
And I stuck them stickers all over my car
And one on my wife’s forehead.
Well, I got my window shield so filled
With flags I couldn’t see.
So, I ran the car upside a curb
And right into a tree.
By the time they got a doctor down
I was already dead.
And I’ll never understand why the man
Standing in the Pearly Gates said…
But your flag decal won’t get you
Into Heaven any more.
We’re already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don’t like killin’
No matter what the reason’s for,
And your flag decal won’t get you
Into Heaven any more.

In case you haven’t guessed, I have a playlist of protest songs. More than one actually. You’d a thunk after all that great music we’d know better than to elect someone as blatantly narcissistic, greedy and cold hearted as Donald Trump. Seems we got fooled again.

Okay Darron, I’ll see your bet and raise you, by invoking the master. :wink: I mean :down:

"Masters Of War" by Bob Dylan Lyrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJEjYY4TTjM Come you masters of war You that build the big guns You that build the death planes You that build all the bombs You that hide behind walls You that hide behind desks I just want you to know I can see through your masks You that never done nothin' But build to destroy You play with my world Like it's your little toy You put a gun in my hand And you hide from my eyes And you turn and run farther When the fast bullets fly Like Judas of old You lie and deceive A world war can be won You want me to believe But I see through your eyes And I see through your brain Like I see through the water That runs down my drain You fasten all the triggers For the others to fire Then you sit back and watch When the death count gets higher You hide in your mansion While the young people's blood Flows out of their bodies And is buried in the mud You've thrown the worst fear That can ever be hurled Fear to bring children Into the world For threatening my baby Unborn and unnamed You ain't worth the blood That runs in your veins How much do I know To talk out of turn You might say that I'm young You might say I'm unlearned But there's one thing I know Though I'm younger than you That even Jesus would never Forgive what you do Let me ask you one question Is your money that good? Will it buy you forgiveness Do you think that it could? I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul And I hope that you die And your death'll come soon I will follow your casket By the pale afternoon And I'll watch while you're lowered Down to your deathbed And I'll stand o'er your grave 'Til I'm sure that you're dead Songwriters: Bob Dylan Masters of War lyrics © Bob Dylan Music Co.
A Hard Rains Gonna Fall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ex-m-eEKsg Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son And where have you been, my darling young one I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains I've walked and I've crawled on six crooked highways I've stepped in the middle of seven sad forests I've been out in front of a dozen dead oceans I've been ten thousand miles in the mouth of a graveyard And it's a hard, and it's a hard, it's a hard, and it's a hard It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall Oh, what did you see, my blue-eyed son And what did you see, my darling young one I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin' I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin' I saw a white ladder all covered with water I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children And it's a hard, and it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall And what did you hear, my blue-eyed son? And what did you hear, my darling young one? I heard the sound of a thunder that roared out a warnin' Heard the roar of a wave that could drown the whole world Heard one hundred drummers whose hands were a-blazin' Heard ten thousand whisperin' and nobody listenin' Heard one person starve, I heard many people laughin' Heard the song of a poet who died in the gutter Heard the sound of a clown who cried in the alley And it's a hard, and it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall Oh, what did you meet, my blue-eyed son? Who did you meet, my darling young one? I met a young child beside a dead pony I met a white man who walked a black dog I met a young woman whose body was burning I met a young girl, she gave me a rainbow I met one man who was wounded in love I met another man who was wounded with hatred And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall And what'll you do now, my blue-eyed son? And what'll you do now, my darling young one? I'm a-goin' back out 'fore the rain starts a-fallin' I'll walk to the depths of the deepest black forest Where the people are many and their hands are all empty Where the pellets of poison are flooding their waters Where the home in the valley meets the damp dirty prison And the executioner's face is always well hidden Where hunger is ugly, where souls are forgotten Where black is the color, where none is the number And I'll tell it and think it and speak it and breathe it And reflect it from the mountain so all souls can see it Then I'll stand on the ocean until I start sinkin' But I'll know my song well before I start singin' And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall Songwriters: Bob Dylan A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall lyrics © Bob Dylan Music Co.
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYajHZ4QUVM
It's Alright, Ma Bob Dylan Darkness at the break of noon Shadows even the silver spoon The handmade blade, the child's balloon Eclipses both the sun and moon To understand you know too soon There is no sense in trying Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn Suicide remarks are torn From the fool's gold mouthpiece The hollow horn plays wasted words Proves to warn that he not busy being born Is busy dying. Temptation's page flies out the door You follow, find yourself at war Watch waterfalls of pity roar You feel to moan but unlike before You discover that you'd just be One more person crying So don't fear if you hear A foreign sound to your ear It's alright, Ma, I'm only sighing As some warn victory, some downfall Private reasons great or small Can be seen in the eyes of those that call To make all that should be killed to crawl While others say don't hate nothing at all Except hatred. Disillusioned words like bullets bark As human gods aim for their mark Made everything from toy guns that spark To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark It's easy to see without looking too far That not much is really sacred. While preachers preach of evil fates Teachers teach that knowledge waits Can lead to hundred-dollar plates Goodness hides behind its gates But even the president of the United States Sometimes must have to stand naked An' though the rules of the road have been lodged It's only people's games that you got to dodge And it's alright, Ma, I can make it Advertising signs that con you Into thinking you're the one That can do what's never been done That can win what's never been won Meantime life outside goes on All around you. You lose yourself, you reappear You suddenly find you got nothing to fear Alone you stand with nobody near When a trembling distant voice, unclear Startles your sleeping ears to hear That somebody thinks they really found you A question in your nerves is lit Yet you know there is no answer fit to satisfy Insure you not to quit To keep it in your mind and not fergit That it is not he or she or them or it That you belong to Although the masters make the rules For the wise men and the fools I got nothing, Ma, to live up to For them that must obey authority That they do not respect in any degree Who despise their jobs, their destinies Speak jealously of them that are free Do what they do just to be nothing more than something they invest in While some on principles baptized To strict party platform ties Social clubs in drag disguise Outsiders they can freely criticize Tell nothing except who to idolize And then say God bless him. While one who sings with his tongue on fire Gargles in the rat race choir Bent out of shape from society's pliers Cares not to come up any higher But rather get you down in the hole that he's in But I mean no harm nor put fault On anyone that lives in a vault But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him Old lady judges watch people in pairs Limited in sex, they dare To push fake morals, insult and stare While money doesn't talk, it swears Obscenity, who really cares Propaganda, all is phony While them that defend what they cannot see With a killer's pride, security It blows the minds most bitterly For them that think death's honesty Won't fall upon them naturally Life sometimes must get lonely My eyes collide head-on with stuffed graveyards False gods, I scuff At pettiness which plays so rough Walk upside-down inside handcuffs Kick my legs to crash it off Say okay, I have had enough What else can you show me And if my thought-dreams could be seen They'd probably put my head in a guillotine But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only Songwriters: Bob Dylan It's Alright, Ma lyrics © Bob Dylan Music Co.
In case you haven't guessed, I have a playlist of protest songs. More than one actually. You'd a thunk after all that great music we'd know better than to elect someone as blatantly narcissistic, greedy and cold hearted as Donald Trump. Seems we got fooled again.
"WE" didn't elect him. There has always been a large percentage of the population that is stupid and thick headed, who vote against their own interests, who are ready to follow the Music Man and his empty promises right off a cliff. The percentage was just higher than usual this time for a variety of reasons that had nothing to do with anything resembling thinking--or, as I'm beginning to think more and more, that the election was rigged. Whatever it was, I'm not going to stand idly by and say "WE" elected him. "WE" did no such thing. "WE" voted AGAINST this narcissric, cold hearted and destructive candidate and we shouldn't forget it. He's not MY president. He's a fraud. The weaknesses in our system allowed him to occupy the position of president and we're unfortunately stuck with him and his greedy, narcissistic and stupid followers. We can only hope the rest of system prevents the worst of the destruction he could wreak on our country, its economy, our safety and our way of life. We've never in the history of the United States had such a dishonorable person as president. We thought we didn't need specific laws to contain a destructive rogue. We never thought the stupid percentage of the electorate would grow so large. We were blindsided. We made the enormous error of thinking this kind of thing couldn't happen here--that it only happened in corrupt banana republics with an uneducated populace. Now we've learning our lesson the hard way. We've been too trusting. I hope we can survive it and can prevent it from ever happening again with tougher, more specific laws designed to keep such a president from taking advantage of the gaping loopholes in the systen and becoming a dictator. Meanwhile, we have to bite the bullet and hope the stupid percentage of the electorate finally learns its lesson. But I will never say "WE" voted him in and I will never say he is MY president. He's a dangerous rogue--we don't even know yet how dangerous--who infiltrated the White House and took advantage of our certainty that the checks and balances built into the system would prevent such an outcome. We were wrong and too trusting and we have to admit it. We must be stronger and more vigilant in order to keep the damage to a minimum and pass laws to close the loopholes that allowed it and prevent it from ever happening again. We have to start with denying that "WE" caused this dangerous situation. "WE" did no such thing except for being too trusting of the system that we thought was working when it was failing. The music and lyrics are nice, but we need much more than music to get us out of this unprecedented situation that threatens to stop the music forever.
In case you haven't guessed, I have a playlist of protest songs. More than one actually. You'd a thunk after all that great music we'd know better than to elect someone as blatantly narcissistic, greedy and cold hearted as Donald Trump. Seems we got fooled again.
"WE" didn't elect him. We allowed him to get elected. We are guilty! Everyone will pay the price. Now we have returned to our respective bubble, lefties to bitch among themselves. And Republicans, not giving a damned, ready to ram their most radical agenda though Congress, while we whine on the sidelines.

Apathy votes every bit as decisively as informed voting does.
Republicans have a Greed Inspired God* Given self-serving and ultimately myopic and self-destructive absolutist agenda to drive down our throats.
While got our smugness.
It’s a tragedy they mistake their own personal avarice and egomania for “God” - while rationalist simply go along for the ride.
It’s a hard rain that’s going to fall. :down:

"WE" didn't elect him. We allowed him to get elected. We are guilty! Everyone will pay the price. Now we have returned to our respective bubble, lefties to bitch among themselves. And Republicans, not giving a damned, ready to ram their most radical agenda though Congress, while we whine on the sidelines. I didn't allow him to get elected either. I did everything I could to prevent it and so did a lot of other people.
"WE" didn't elect him. There has always been a large percentage of the population that is stupid and thick headed, who vote against their own interests, who are ready to follow the Music Man and his empty promises right off a cliff. The percentage was just higher than usual this time for a variety of reasons that had nothing to do with anything resembling thinking--or, as I'm beginning to think more and more, that the election was rigged. Whatever it was, I'm not going to stand idly by and say "WE" elected him. "WE" did no such thing. "WE" voted AGAINST this narcissric, cold hearted and destructive candidate and we shouldn't forget it. He's not MY president. He's a fraud. The weaknesses in our system allowed him to occupy the position of president and we're unfortunately stuck with him and his greedy, narcissistic and stupid followers. We can only hope the rest of system prevents the worst of the destruction he could wreak on our country, its economy, our safety and our way of life. We've never in the history of the United States had such a dishonorable person as president. We thought we didn't need specific laws to contain a destructive rogue. We never thought the stupid percentage of the electorate would grow so large. We were blindsided. We made the enormous error of thinking this kind of thing couldn't happen here--that it only happened in corrupt banana republics with an uneducated populace. Now we've learning our lesson the hard way. We've been too trusting. I hope we can survive it and can prevent it from ever happening again with tougher, more specific laws designed to keep such a president from taking advantage of the gaping loopholes in the systen and becoming a dictator. Meanwhile, we have to bite the bullet and hope the stupid percentage of the electorate finally learns its lesson. But I will never say "WE" voted him in and I will never say he is MY president. He's a dangerous rogue--we don't even know yet how dangerous--who infiltrated the White House and took advantage of our certainty that the checks and balances built into the system would prevent such an outcome. We were wrong and too trusting and we have to admit it. We must be stronger and more vigilant in order to keep the damage to a minimum and pass laws to close the loopholes that allowed it and prevent it from ever happening again. We have to start with denying that "WE" caused this dangerous situation. "WE" did no such thing except for being too trusting of the system that we thought was working when it was failing. The music and lyrics are nice, but we need much more than music to get us out of this unprecedented situation that threatens to stop the music forever.
Don't mince words, Lois! What do you really think? :) I was watching BBC America during the inauguration, and I couldn't help noticing that they ran the Star Trek episode "Turnabout Intruder", the one in which Kirk is replaced by a dangerous, homicidal lunatic. Probably just a coincidence...
Don't mince words, Lois! What do you really think? :) I was watching BBC America during the inauguration, and I couldn't help noticing that they ran the Star Trek episode "Turnabout Intruder", the one in which Kirk is replaced by a dangerous, homicidal lunatic. Probably just a coincidence... It must have been.
I was watching BBC America during the inauguration, and I couldn't help noticing that they ran the Star Trek episode "Turnabout Intruder", the one in which Kirk is replaced by a dangerous, homicidal lunatic. Probably just a coincidence...
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's precious. I may have to pull that one up on YouTube for old time sake. Man I loved that show as an 11, 12 year old. Then came California and the teen years and I never looked back. Oh yeah, then I saw StarWars and whole illusion toppled, kind of like religion did around the same time.

I know I’ve posted this in another thread but it is extra appropriate here. My friend Steve Brooks…
Super Callous Fascist Racist Extra Braggadocious]
If you’re Mexican or Muslim,
You’ll pray for his defeat.
But he might be up your alley
If you’re into wearing sheets.
Ladies, you will find him
The most sensitive of males.
He’ll help you find employment
With his buddy, Roger Ailes.
He’s Super Callous Fascist Racist Extra Braggadocious.
Every word escapes his lips is something quite atrocious.
Could it be Tourette’s or simply verbal halitosis?
Super Callous Fascist Racist Extra Braggadocious.
Trump did a little diddle. Trump did a lie.
He never met a dictator
He didn’t seem to like.
They’re giving him ideas
For the rise of the Fourth Reich.
He’s tweeting Mussolini,
He’s singing Putin’s tune.
He’s jealous of the people skills
Of Comrade Kim Jong-Un.
He’s Super Callous Fascist Racist Extra Braggadocious.
Psychiatrists are arguing about his diagnosis.
Paranoid Delusional or Borderline Psychosis?
He’s got a snarky nickname
For each and every foe.
“Lyin’ Ted" and “Crooked Hillary" –
I guess he oughta know.
But perhaps I should be kinder.
It seems a bit unfair
To judge a man until you’ve walked
A mile in his hair.
He’s Super Callous Fascist Racist Extra Braggadocious
American democracy has got a dim prognosis.
It’s either on bad acid or a case of mass hypnosis.
His finger on the button hands the world back to the roaches…
Super Callous Fascist Racist Extra Braggadocious!