Sup

Hello Peoples,
I came across CFI a few weeks ago. Can’t say I have come across anything of the sort on the Internet before.
Anyhow. I am an ex-Sunni Muslim, having renounced my faith for quite sometime now (not sure how many of those exists). I am originally from Pakistan but have been globe-trotting for a long time, so have been really lucky to have experienced a good variation of peoples and cultures. That I would say has made my decision thankfully very easy to make.
One of the things that drew me away from Islam is its excessively unwarranted restriction on rational thought. And that, is just a drop in the ocean of close-mindedness that is required from this religion. Sure, every religion has its good and humane values that can be beneficial for society in general. However, when the permission to implement those good values is bound to backward and irrational ones at the same time, due to centuries-old doctrines makes the whole thing a write-off, in my opinion at least.
I remember a good friend talking about deriving the ‘good’ out of the multitude of available religions and leaving behind the ‘bad’? With that hopefully there won’t be the case of “one man’s bad is another man’s good”.
Anyhow, I really look forward to this forum and am interested for what you good people have to offer.

Welcome Sup. You share the history of many of our members, but from a variety of different religions. Essentially all religions try to varying degrees to inhibit rational thought, unbiased investigation, and critical thinking. The problem with your friend’s suggestion is that it’s very difficult to be immersed in a religion for one’s life and recognize the parts of it which are “bad”. Far better to find a rational philosophy and belief system that gives one the freedom to think for him/herself. Again, welcome.
Occam

Hello Peoples, I came across CFI a few weeks ago. Can't say I have come across anything of the sort on the Internet before. Anyhow. I am an ex-Sunni Muslim, having renounced my faith for quite sometime now (not sure how many of those exists). I am originally from Pakistan but have been globe-trotting for a long time, so have been really lucky to have experienced a good variation of peoples and cultures. That I would say has made my decision thankfully very easy to make. One of the things that drew me away from Islam is its excessively unwarranted restriction on rational thought. And that, is just a drop in the ocean of close-mindedness that is required from this religion. Sure, every religion has its good and humane values that can be beneficial for society in general. However, when the permission to implement those good values is bound to backward and irrational ones at the same time, due to centuries-old doctrines makes the whole thing a write-off, in my opinion at least. I remember a good friend talking about deriving the 'good' out of the multitude of available religions and leaving behind the 'bad'? With that hopefully there won't be the case of "one man's bad is another man's good". Anyhow, I really look forward to this forum and am interested for what you good people have to offer.
Welcome, I'm sure you can provide a welcome Islamic perspective because most of us have been almost exclusively exposed to the Christian one. Lois