First post introduction and discussion question

My career has been primarily in government and private-sector, production and operations activities with academic preparation in operations research, economics, and finance.
I’ve browsed the CFI forum for some time and finally feel comfortable in starting the following discussion.
Please reply stating “The single most important question you would like to have answered?"

First, welcome aboard, Jody! We always value fresh opinions on things.
As for the discussion question, I’m sorry but I’m drawing a blank. Ask who? President Obama? God? Without a little more context, I’m stumped.

Welcome.
How can we get people to stop believing things simply because believing makes them feel better?

How can we get people to stop believing things simply because believing makes them feel better?
That's an easy one. We can't. Next question... :)

I was hoping Jodyb had the answer.

As for the discussion question, I'm sorry but I'm drawing a blank. Ask who? President Obama? God? Without a little more context, I'm stumped.
From anyone. I want to understand if there is a single unknown that haunts a person's mind that can be phrased as a question.

Why do people believe ridiculous things even when they know those things are not true?

Interesting, but is that your single most important question?

Depends upon my mood and what has happened in my life recently, such as trying to explain to friends why honey does not cure allergies.
The deeper question is, “Why do so many people not care about developing critical thinning skills?”

Please reply stating “The single most important question you would like to have answered?"
I feel like I'm in Delphi. My question is based on the premise that people choose a worldview using at least a tiny degree of reasoning. Excluding sociopaths, if most people did not have some innate sense of altruistic goodwill, society would not have advance this far. Given that, how does that innate sense get overridden once the worldview is chosen. What is that trumps the reasoning and good sense and puts the worldview in charge?
My career has been primarily in government and private-sector, production and operations activities with academic preparation in operations research, economics, and finance. I’ve browsed the CFI forum for some time and finally feel comfortable in starting the following discussion. Please reply stating “The single most important question you would like to have answered?"
First, welcome jody. Second, you have a good resume. Third, don't you think it would be best to give us what you think is the most important you would like answered before asking others for their "most important".
My question is based on the premise that people choose a worldview using at least a tiny degree of reasoning. Given that, how does that innate sense get overridden once the worldview is chosen. What is that trumps the reasoning and good sense and puts the worldview in charge?
Thanks, a very interesting perspective.
Third, don't you think it would be best to give us what you think is the most important you would like answered before asking others for their "most important".
Understand, but I was interested in unbiased replies which could help me restate my initial post. Although there are few replies so far, they are helpful.

What thinking person has but one question? Jodyb, I suspect you are trolling for a specific question that you want to discuss, so why don’t you come clean and put it out there?

My career has been primarily in government and private-sector, production and operations activities with academic preparation in operations research, economics, and finance. I’ve browsed the CFI forum for some time and finally feel comfortable in starting the following discussion. Please reply stating “The single most important question you would like to have answered?"
I've been wracking my brain to think of a question. I feel as if I already have the answers to my philosophical and religious questions--for example I don't believe there is a god, I don't believe in any supernatural claims including those in the bible. Assuming there is some godlike entity who could answer any question, I've come up with one I'd like an answer to, even though I have no expectation of having it answered. Who could possibly answer my question? A god I am not aware of? I'm afraid that in the real world we live in my question will have to remain unanswered. But since this is a sort of game, i will suspend disbelief and pretend there is an entity who knows everything who could answer it, even though I am sure, as with everything else, that I already know the answer. (The people who know me on this forum could probably make a good guess as to what my question would be.) Having said all that, here goes: Do humans have free will that can supersede their determining factors? (Don't throw things!) Lois ;)
"trolling for a specific question that you want to discuss"?
No, just a simple question to which I sought observations. I'll put you down as a "No Answer" and that's also very useful to me. Thanks
Do humans have free will that can supersede their determining factors?
That's a very thoughtful and thought provoking reply. Thanks so very much, jodyb
"trolling for a specific question that you want to discuss"?
No, just a simple question to which I sought observations. I'll put you down as a "No Answer" and that's also very useful to me. Thanks So your not really here for discussion, your taking notes then? Your just collecting questions?
So your not really here for discussion, your taking notes then? Your just collecting questions?
Do you have an attitude problem toward new members?
So your not really here for discussion, your taking notes then? Your just collecting questions?
Do you have an attitude problem toward new members? No, I dont. Sorry I am coming off that way.