Sports: Which has the best athletes?

Proposition:
A tournament among teams of the most popular team sports, soccer, cricket, basketball, rugby, baseball, football, hockey.
Rules:

1. Teams will be comprised from amongst the best professional players in the world for their respective sport. (Thus there will be a Team Soccer, a Team Cricket, a Team Basketball, etc.)
  2. A tournament will be held in each of the seven sports.
  3. A team will NOT participate in the tournament of its own specialty.
  4. Teams will be assigned a score in terms of its performance in each of the 6 tournaments that it takes part in. (e.g. In the Cricket tournament, Team Soccer will compete against Team Basketball, Team Rugby, Team Baseball, and Team Hockey. In the Basketball tournament, Team Soccer will play against Team Crickett, Team Rugby, Team Baseball, and Team Hockey. etc.)
  5. Total points acquired by each team from their participation in each tournament will be added. The team with the most points will claim the title of Sport With the Best Athletes.

Question:
    Which sport would win?

Depends upon the order they play. If it is football first, then the football players will win because they will crush the other players. Playing hockey first would give the hockey team a tremendous advantage because other teams will likely lose a few players to broken bones.
This is not a good format for deciding which sport has the best athletes anyway as each team will excel in its own sport. A decathlon would be better.
In either case I’m putting my money on the football players. They’re bigger and stronger than players in other sports and have enough speed to keep up with the baseball players. Basketball players have quick reflexes, but threat built for endurance not speed. Same with soccer players; ball handling is more important than raw speed. Rugby player might have a chance, but I can’t see cricket players surviving one of the contact sports. As for hockey players, well they’re built for sliding across ice and slamming into each other. They would win their sport but would not have a chance in the other sports.

I knew a girl in high school who would pick this fight every time it came up. She said, when rated by overall fitness, ballet dancers are the most fit. Another friend said trials motorcyclists. Trials is when you race on a course that has holes and logs and steep hills and other obstacles. Both claimed some sort of research had been done on this, but I didn’t know enough about skepticism to ask for sources.

Depends upon the order they play. If it is football first, then the football players will win because they will crush the other players. Playing hockey first would give the hockey team a tremendous advantage because other teams will likely lose a few players to broken bones. This is not a good format for deciding which sport has the best athletes anyway as each team will excel in its own sport. A decathlon would be better. In either case I'm putting my money on the football players. They're bigger and stronger than players in other sports and have enough speed to keep up with the baseball players. Basketball players have quick reflexes, but threat built for endurance not speed. Same with soccer players; ball handling is more important than raw speed. Rugby player might have a chance, but I can't see cricket players surviving one of the contact sports. As for hockey players, well they're built for sliding across ice and slamming into each other. They would win their sport but would not have a chance in the other sports.
You missed the rule that the teams do not compete in their own speciality. e.g., Team Football does not compete in the football tournament, etc.
I knew a girl in high school who would pick this fight every time it came up. She said, when rated by overall fitness, ballet dancers are the most fit. Another friend said trials motorcyclists. Trials is when you race on a course that has holes and logs and steep hills and other obstacles. Both claimed some sort of research had been done on this, but I didn't know enough about skepticism to ask for sources.
Ballet dancers have grace, poise, strength, stamina, flexibility. But there are other qualities that can be a part of being the Best Athletes. I think that head to head team competition would be a fun way to establish a title. If you wish, there could be a Team Ballet, Team Motocross, Team Volleyball, etc. But remember, the teams do not take part in the tournament of their own sport. They are judged by their total standing across the tournaments of the other sports. Who would win the title of Best Athletes in this format?

Team cricket will not raise an eyebrow about any umpire / referee decisions. Team soccer, whenever being subjected to a touch from any opponent will roll around on the floor claiming that foul play has taken place. Team baseball will regard themselves as naked if they are without all their body armour. Any match between team team rugby and team hockey will be somewhat physically competitive.

Team cricket will not raise an eyebrow about any umpire / referee decisions. Team soccer, whenever being subjected to a touch from any opponent will roll around on the floor claiming that foul play has taken place. Team baseball will regard themselves as naked if they are without all their body armour. Any match between team team rugby and team hockey will be somewhat physically competitive.
I think that you meant Team football (rather than team baseball) would feel naked without their protective equipment. Team Rugby would probably be the favorite to win the football tournament. Team football or Team hockey might be favored to win the rugby tournament. Perhaps Team Cricket would be favored to win the baseball tournament, and vice versa. But which teams would be favored to win the other tournaments? Also, e.g., could Team basketball or Team soccer win 2nd in all of the tournaments and thus win overall?

Quite

Because we have such specialization in sport, this is a difficult question. Non-football players playing football would make it a very different game. Throwing and catching are universal, but we create brutes using food and exercise technology that can stop just about anyone getting through a line. I don’t know how other athletes would accomplish that. I’m still sticking with the dancers and trials bike people. They would win strictly on being able to survive any amount of stamina required in any sport, and they have enough coordination to pick up the needed skills. Others would be hindered by their specialized muscle memory.

If this were not a team sport question, I’d go with mixed martial-artists. The athletes who compete in UFC are in ridiculous shape in virtually every measure. Also, don’t count out hockey players too quickly. Racing to the puck and changing direction all the time means that those players are extremely good sprinters with great endurance.

If this were not a *team* sport question, I'd go with mixed martial-artists. The athletes who compete in UFC are in ridiculous shape in virtually every measure. Also, don't count out hockey players too quickly. Racing to the puck and changing direction all the time means that those players are extremely good sprinters with great endurance.
Yes, the team element would be important. (One could argue that the strategic thinking and personality necessary to work effectively with others is a part of being among the Best Athletes.) But having a Team UFC compete would be interesting. And hockey players are tough, so they would have a shot at winning the rugby tournament, I think. They might do well in the soccer tournament also.

Ok. Let’s see if we can get a little more responsiveness to this thread.
OBVIOUSLY TEAM (American) FOOTBALLwould win the title of BEST ATHLETES. The special assortment of athletic qualities amongst professional football players would allow the establishment of a group of players that could compete in all of the other sports. (Well they could have possibly trouble in water polo.)

Ok. Let's see if we can get a little more responsiveness to this thread. OBVIOUSLY TEAM (American) FOOTBALLwould win the title of BEST ATHLETES. The special assortment of athletic qualities amongst professional football players would allow the establishment of a group of players that could compete in all of the other sports. (Well they could have possibly trouble in water polo.)
I think not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

It’s got to be snooker, billards or darts players.

IMO, soccer is the most difficult game to master. It requires the skills of all other teamsports, because of its fluid nature, and its largest playing area requiring each player to possess the skills to control a live ball without the assistance of hands or a tool and pass it to a free player. That’s why it is called the beautiful game.

IMO, soccer is the most difficult game to master. It requires the skills of all other teamsports, because of its fluid nature, and its largest playing area requiring each player to possess the skills to control a live ball without the assistance of hands or a tool and pass it to a free player. That's why it is called the *beautiful game*.
Try hitting a 90 mph curve ball. Soccer ain't that difficult in comparison.
It's got to be snooker, billards or darts players.
Maybe if the teams were all served unlimited alcohol, throughout the contests.
IMO, soccer is the most difficult game to master. It requires the skills of all other teamsports, because of its fluid nature, and its largest playing area requiring each player to possess the skills to control a live ball without the assistance of hands or a tool and pass it to a free player. That's why it is called the *beautiful game*.
The thing about soccer is that they rarely use their hands. That's rather inhuman.

There are a few people who in their youth have had a career choice to make between soccer and cricket. In the off season of their chosen sport some take part in high profile charity / benefit matches in their foregone sport alongside high level professionals, without embarrassing themselves. But it is a long time since any soccer manager in the top five tiers allowed any player to play County Championship cricket, with its risks involving being hit by a 100mph delivery by an Australian / West Indian determined to quite literally make his mark.
For those UK folk on here, at Lords I once saw Geoff Boycott dismissed by a Brian Clough catch at mid-on. As a young player Gary Lineker was equally good at cricket and soccer, playing for Leicestershire second team.
So, some of these players from the various sports may have skills that we are not aware of because these skills have been used at a not quite nationally noticeable level.
Mike Tyson is probably a brilliant synchronised swimmer.

Try hitting a 90 mph curve ball. Soccer ain't that difficult in comparison. First of all a bat is a tool and the spin of the ball is controlled by the hand. Try kicking a 90 mph sinking curve ball with your foot into a 2 square foot target from 25 yards out, from the ground or even on the volley with a rapidly moving ball. High quality soccer is an intricate mathematically strategic game and relies on the ability to excecute "the pass" (every player becomes a quarterback during the game), which leads to offensive advantage. And interestingly, it is based on the fundamental concept of a flexible moving triangulation.. Good soccer players are natural mathematicians (like quarterbacks in football) who have the mental and physical skills to *deliver* the ball at the "right" moment, at the foot of the *striker* who is in position to score. I don't know how much you have studied the dynamics of the game of soccer. But IMO if you really look at soccer as a mathematical game which must be sustained for an entire playing time of 45 minutes before rest is allowed, followed by another constant movement for 45 minutes. Kicking a ball seems every kid can do, but playing world class soccer is probably the most physically and mentally demanding team sport that we have invented. The reason is that (except for the goalie) a player is *never* in *possession*, but only in *control* of a *live* ball while trying to avoid opposing players.