Women their own worst enemy?

Victoria’s Secret (et al) presents women in sexy underwear and bathing suits. And the smaller the item the sexier. So the object is to provide a way for women to be sexy, objects of sexual desire you might say. If you deny this you’re being dishonest. And there’s nothing wrong here. The context presumably is personal expression towards a partner, spouse, etc. Perfectly normal in that context.
So tell me, why have women athletes’ clothing become smaller and smaller? Are they trying to be sexy too, thought of as objects of sexual desire? Or are they athletes? I flipped to a sports channel and it was a women’s track meet of some sort. And to my surprise, every gal running had on what can only be called a bikini and a shirt that bared their entire midriff. If they were at a beach believe me they’d turn heads. What in the heck? If there’s some kind of “speed” issue such as being more aerodynamic, well then why don’t men do the same? And why would they still keep long ponytails, which bob and weave all over the place? If the concern was wind resistance, wouldn’t they get crewcuts or wear some kind of head gear like speedskaters?
I see this and almost get angry at these women…as in come on now, do you want to be treated as athletes or not? You can’t dress like a Victoria’s Secret model and be taken seriously as an athlete at the same time.

At the end of the day, women want to look as good as possible.
Thats all there is to it.

Victoria's Secret (et al) presents women in sexy underwear and bathing suits. And the smaller the item the sexier. So the object is to provide a way for women to be sexy, objects of sexual desire you might say. If you deny this you're being dishonest. And there's nothing wrong here. The context presumably is personal expression towards a partner, spouse, etc. Perfectly normal in that context. So tell me, why have women athletes' clothing become smaller and smaller? Are they trying to be sexy too, thought of as objects of sexual desire? Or are they athletes? I flipped to a sports channel and it was a women's track meet of some sort. And to my surprise, every gal running had on what can only be called a bikini and a shirt that bared their entire midriff. If they were at a beach believe me they'd turn heads. What in the heck? If there's some kind of "speed" issue such as being more aerodynamic, well then why don't men do the same? And why would they still keep long ponytails, which bob and weave all over the place? If the concern was wind resistance, wouldn't they get crewcuts or wear some kind of head gear like speedskaters? I see this and almost get angry at these women...as in come on now, do you want to be treated as athletes or not? You can't dress like a Victoria's Secret model and be taken seriously as an athlete at the same time.
Why not?

Ever see a woman play volleyball in a burka? Check out the ISIS team sometime. Why get hung up on what females wear for sports or leisure? The Victorian Era is over; that’s why it’s called Victoria’s Secret, because it had to be kept out of site of those disapproving men and their prude wives who tolerated their husbands occasional liaisons with their mistresses. Sexually it was a f…d up hypocritical societal period that we’ve left behind. AFAIC they can wear what ever the hell they want, this isn’t Iran.
Cap’t Jack

Young men and women like to dress attractively. I enjoy it and see nothing wrong with it. If you cannot respect people who do not dress modestly enough for you the problem lies within you.
Edit: Do not ever go the Europe, Cuthbert. You’ll melt down the first time you see a city bus in Denmark with a breast enhancement ad complete with bare breasts.

Oh god forbid.
I imagine they even suckle their babies in public. :red: Oh the shame… now get out my way your blocking my view.

Reminds of one day in California when I was doing track day photography. I was eating lunch with a customer and his wife, who was wearing Daisy Duke shorts and a bare-midriff tank top. She asked me why I wore long pants and long sleeves in the heat* and I told her I didn’t want to talk about it. Puzzled, she asked why. I explained that I did not want my friends and customers overhear me telling a beautiful woman she needed to put on more clothes.
*I wore technical clothing while working in the Sun all day. Lightweight, Sun blocking, moisture wicking fabric.

Personally I don’t think that the fact that she looks sexy diminishes my respect for a woman. Maybe it’s because of my background as a fan of comic book superheroines. Many of them wear sexy costumes, but they can still kick your butt! :slight_smile:
Within reason, of course. If a woman dresses like a streetwalker, I find it hard to respect her because she obviously doesn’t respect herself. But it’s probably a matter of personal taste.

There’s a reason for the saying: If you got it, flaunt it.

Makeup Trends in Ancient Times http://ancientpeoples.tumblr.com/post/31334677383/makeup-trends-in-ancient-times-the-desire-to-look The desire to look beautiful is nothing new: even in ancient times, cosmetics were eagerly used by men and women alike. Many frescoes, wall-paintings and reliefs, as well as poetry and literature, bear testament to the practice. There was a thriving trade in these products, and each culture had its own specific peculiarities in recipes and application. The application of makeup back in the day started out as a practice of the more well-off ladies and gents, but as time passed, cheaper variants of the products became available to the poorer women. Because the makeup had to be applied several times a day, however, women of the working class would not have had the slaves or the time to wear makeup each and every day. Not only the composition of makeup, but also the view on it and how cosmetics were used differed from culture to culture. While in Egypt scented oils had a more religious connotation, in Greece they were used to heighten the sensuality of the wearer. In Rome, men weren’t particularly fond of women using makeup, calling those who did deceitful and manipulative, while in Greece they only sometimes mocked women, and Egyptian men simply joined in on the fun. ...
And I bet the whole chase/game between the sexes began way before that.
Full-Figured Statuette, 35,000 Years Old, Provides New Clues to How Art (and passions) Evolved By JOHN NOBLE WILFORD | Published: May 13, 2009 http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/science/14venus.html?_r=0

Jerry: Well, I was walking around naked in front of Melissa the other day–
Elaine: Whoa! Walking around naked? Ahh… that is not a good look for a man.
George: Why not? It’s a good look for a woman.
Elaine: Well, the female body is a… work of art. The male body is utilitarian, it’s for gettin’ around, like a jeep.

Wow you guys are dishonest. My point wasn’t about women’s right to wear whatever they want. Of course they can and the more in my age group who wear less and less the better. My point was that if women want to gain respect, in my example in the area of athletics, then they should act respectable. And that means dressing appropriately. There’s a reason women in strip clubs dress like they do. And guys, please don’t lie to us here and say when you see a female runner dressed in a bikini, your first thought is one of respect.
(And yes I used the word ‘appropriately’, so please don’t go into a knee-jerk debate about what’s appropriate. You know exactly what appropriate means…appropriate in the current social context.)

Wow you guys are dishonest. My point wasn't about women's right to wear whatever they want. Of course they can and the more in my age group who wear less and less the better. My point was that if women want to gain respect, in my example in the area of athletics, then they should act respectable. And that means dressing appropriately. There's a reason women in strip clubs dress like they do. And guys, please don't lie to us here and say when you see a female runner dressed in a bikini, your first thought is one of respect. (And yes I used the word 'appropriately', so please don't go into a knee-jerk debate about what's appropriate. You know exactly what appropriate means...appropriate in the current social context.)
I understood your question - maybe nobody else did - and it's a good question. My comment above is 100% correct, but I'll elaborate by saying the female athletes care more about looking good than being respected as athletes.
Wow you guys are dishonest.
If you're focusing on women athletes, it must depend upon where you live. I live in Indiana and I don't have cable TV. I've been watching the Women's World Cup Soccer games (when on Telemundo or Fox), and honestly have not noticed any teams with Victoria's Secret type uniforms. Locally we have the various Notre Dame women's teams, but still, nothing shocking or provocative there either. Are you talking Beach Volleyball?
And guys, please don't lie to us here and say when you see a female runner dressed in a bikini, your first thought is one of respect.
WHOA! Back up a minute. Are you implying that to acknowledge that someone is a cutie, or hottie, that it immediately means disrespect; or lascivious; or disgusting; or predatory thoughts?
My comment above is 100% correct, but I'll elaborate by saying the female athletes care more about looking good than being respected as athletes.
Female athlete in that class, care more about winning than what any twisted petty minds are conjuring :snake:
Elaine: Well, the female body is a... work of art. The male body is utilitarian, it's for gettin' around, like a jeep.
:lol: :lol: PS sounds like Elaine would be a kick in the ass to hang with :coolsmile:
My comment above is 100% correct, but I'll elaborate by saying the female athletes care more about looking good than being respected as athletes.
Female athlete in that class, care more about winning than what any twisted petty minds are conjuring :snake: Where did you get that idea?
Female athlete in that class, care more about winning than what any twisted petty minds are conjuring :snake: Where did you get that idea?Let me think, endless hours of training, the competitive nature of making the team, the competitive nature of keeping your position, the competitive hunger to win the stupid trophy and be Number One, and all that sort of rah rah jazz. What do you think they are out there sweating for, to impress you ?

We interrupt the preceding program to bring you this important late breaking news:

Women’s World Cup 2015 semi-final: USA beat Germany
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/30/womens-world-cup-usa-into-final-after-carli-lloyd-tames-germany
You go girls… er ladies :coolsmile:

Female athlete in that class, care more about winning than what any twisted petty minds are conjuring :snake: Where did you get that idea?Let me think, endless hours of training, the competitive nature of making the team, the competitive nature of keeping your position, the competitive hunger to win the stupid trophy and be Number One, and all that sort of rah rah jazz. What do you think they are out there sweating for, to impress you ?They care about all that stuff, but they care even more about being attractive. A big motivation to be an athlete (or just athletic in general) in the first place is that you'll look better than average.
A big motivation to be an athlete (or just athletic in general) in the first place is that you'll look better than average.
You have any data to back that up or are you just blowing it out your posterior again?