Role of gov't in the economy.

I’m trying to figure out why someone would think an Information Technology department could live in a cave.

I'm trying to figure out why someone would think an Information Technology department could live in a cave.
Actually they do use (man-made) 'caves' in case of a natural or man-made (nuclear) disaster. In West Virginia and Montana I think.

When I first read Stiglitz’s quote my impression was that what he was referring to is that Economics today is being used in a manner similar manner that religious theology was before the Enlightenment; to create context for a political structure to support the position landed aristocracy in those days and the monied aristocracy today

What I wonder is if Stiglitz believes that only what other economists say is “theology” or if it includes his wisdom as well.

The government can’t back away from the economy as it’s irrevocably tied to it.
Just so you know, EVERYTHING is tied to economy. EVERYTHING. Government or no.
I agree wholeheartedly EOC.
What I wonder is if Stiglitz believes that only what other economists say is "theology" or if it includes his wisdom as well.
Hopefully he understands that his is part of the "theology". But who knows?
Hmmnn, where does IT make these decisions? In a cave somewhere, up on a mountain?
Did you even bother reading the WHOLE of my post instead of highlighting a small portion of it to contrive a strawman? Of course you didn't.
Yes I did. I highlighted your use of the word "it". Again because it assumes that gov't is some definitive, purpose driven entity. You said "it makes decisions"(the govt). Of course it doesn't. And I don't mean this in some philosophical, metaphysical, free-will discussion sense. I mean this as I have described above. I read your whole post. All of them.
Vy, have you read Charles and Mary Beard's book "An Economic Intpretation of the Constitution"? They posit that the founding fathers created the Constitution, hence the American Government for economic freedom. Each of them had a stake in allowing for less governmental control of the economy allowing for greater profits and great opportunities for the accumulation of wealth. They tie government and the economy together. It's an interesting read although it's a bit dated. Cap't Jack
I haven't read that one Village. I've seen those authors mentioned in some of the history books I've been reading though. It's very plain that that was the reason for the revolution. I know the Founders mostly had large economic stakes. And lot's of friends with large economic stakes too.
You said “it makes decisions"(the govt). Of course it doesn’t.
Actually, it does. Anytime Congress passes or refuses to pass a budget, it makes a series of decisions which effects the economy. Anytime the Federal Reserve makes a call on interest rates, it makes a decision which effects the economy. Don't believe me? Take a look at the ongoing panic party known as the stock and futures markets and how they're always "Reacting" to some political or economic policy decision, or some law either being passed, revised, or removed They may not be day to day nuts and bolts calls, but they ARE decisions and they have an effect. Don't try and tell me they don't make decisions when it's excruciatingly obvious that they do it all the time.
You said “it makes decisions"(the govt). Of course it doesn’t.
Actually, it does. Anytime Congress passes or refuses to pass a budget, it makes a series of decisions which effects the economy. Anytime the Federal Reserve makes a call on interest rates, it makes a decision which effects the economy. Don't believe me? Take a look at the ongoing panic party known as the stock and futures markets and how they're always "Reacting" to some political or economic policy decision, or some law either being passed, revised, or removed They may not be day to day nuts and bolts calls, but they ARE decisions and they have an effect. Don't try and tell me they don't make decisions when it's excruciatingly obvious that they do it all the time.
So it sounds like government is the economy. And people control the decision making within the gov't/economy.
So it sounds like government is the economy.
Which is not what I said. Strawman again. Your assertion was "You said “it makes decisions"(the govt). Of course it doesn’t. " and this is demonsterably wrong. Oh, and a point of order: EVERYTHING is the economy. EVERYTHING. Don't bother giving me the usual party line answers and talking points to that. Stand back and actually think about this awhile.
So it sounds like government is the economy.
Which is not what I said. Strawman again. Your assertion was "You said “it makes decisions"(the govt). Of course it doesn’t. " and this is demonsterably wrong. Oh, and a point of order: EVERYTHING is the economy. EVERYTHING. Don't bother giving me the usual party line answers and talking points to that. Stand back and actually think about this awhile.
Did you bother reading my post where I agreed with you on that point?(about economy being everything) Of course you didn't. It's right above. I'm saying govt is economy! So far you don't have any good rebuttals to my position. Furthermore, Point of Order! You're just arguing now to take a side for the sake of pride. If the Fed has employees who all used to work for private banks and Wall St firms, and they make rules and decisions based on market fluctuations and trends then that is a perfect example of govconomy! Quit arguing for the sake of arguing....I'm done. My position lies on the previous pages. So far your rebuttals are weak and indicate defensiveness. And read the posts you hypocrite!!
The government can’t back away from the economy as it’s irrevocably tied to it.
Just so you know, EVERYTHING is tied to economy. EVERYTHING. Government or no.
I agree wholeheartedly EOC. See here? 1 page back? Let's go! Wake up!