Petty petty little trump - decimating school nutrition standards

What about getting fed at home?
Conversations like this usually reveal prejudices quickly. The solutions to systemic societal problems are solved by the prejudice person because they imagine a poor hungry child simply going home and finding a warm kitchen filled with caring people who understand their needs. They believe the stories of people reading by candle light, or riding their bicycle to the computer lab, or whatever hero's journey someone went on, can apply to everyone, they just need to motivate themselves. I feel bad for people who think that way, and for all the people in their lives who contributed to who they are, but remain unappreciated.

Are you suggesting that Oneguy has been positively effected in his life by some humanistic, empathic types, and he is just disregarding them?

Get fed at home during the noon hour? No kid is at home during the noon hour. They are in school. So you propose they skip lunch and only have breakfast and dinner, which would be at home for all kids? Nice. Kids don’t get lunch and go hungry until they get home at the end of the day, with no fruits, veggies, or anything else. That’s just cruel.
I mean it’s the parent’s responsibility to provide “nutrition”, not the school’s. If parents are relying on schools to feed their kids they are unfit to even have kids living with them.

School lunches are just garbage they have to serve because it’s not feasible in today’s world for kids to go home in the middle of the day to eat. They don’t have to be that good for you.

Conversations like this usually reveal prejudices quickly. The solutions to systemic societal problems are solved by the prejudice person because they imagine a poor hungry child simply going home and finding a warm kitchen filled with caring people who understand their needs. They believe the stories of people reading by candle light, or riding their bicycle to the computer lab, or whatever hero’s journey someone went on, can apply to everyone, they just need to motivate themselves. I feel bad for people who think that way, and for all the people in their lives who contributed to who they are, but remain unappreciated.
What a pile of bullshit. It’s the parent’s job to feed their kids. Not fucking complicated at all.

You make a good dad, Oneguy.

I mean it’s the parent’s responsibility to provide “nutrition”, not the school’s. If parents are relying on schools to feed their kids they are unfit to even have kids living with them.

School lunches are just garbage they have to serve because it’s not feasible in today’s world for kids to go home in the middle of the day to eat. They don’t have to be that good for you.

Meals at school should be nutritious too, because it does no good to feed the kids junk and expect them to learn, as well as grow healthfully. The meals don’t have to be garbage.

thatoneguy said: What a pile of bullshit. It’s the parent’s job to feed their kids. Not fucking complicated at all.
Or else....what? Do you even realize what you are saying?

Let the kids starve, while they are trying to learn so that they can get a job and provide food for their kids? I hope you do know that poor nutrition is detrimental to learning.

FOOD 840,310,404 Undernourished people in the world 1,687,988,659 Overweight people in the world 748,578,377 Obese people in the world 3,914 People who died of hunger today $ 72,909,457 Money spent for obesity related diseases in the USA today $ 24,191,798 Money spent on weight loss programs in the USA today
https://www.worldometers.info/

In the richest country in the world, you would deny a meal to US school kids who someday must become bread-winners themselves?

You believe mankind should go back to the jungle and “survival of the fittest”, in this case the “richest”? Is that your interpretation of Capitalism?

I suspect that Oneguy is a good parent. I think he’s just not a good humanist and that he doesn’t want to be. On the spectrum of loyalty to, and concern for, family, tribe, larger community, nation, world, I don’t think he goes all the way across. Family, I think, yes. Tribe, I think, yes. The larger community, I think, not so much. Nation, yes. World, no.

Based on your psychological profile assessment of Oneguy, I have to say he in pretty sane. The larger community in a conservative monolithic culture like China or Japan, is just a bigger version of the family. Chances are folks share the same values. In the US, all bets are off and it’s best to mind your own business when you are outside your neck of the woods. The nation is real to an American. The world is an idea.

I have never questioned Oneguy’s sanity, just his humanity.

In the richest country in the world, you would deny a meal to US school kids who someday must become bread-winners themselves?

You believe mankind should go back to the jungle and “survival of the fittest”, in this case the “richest”? Is that your interpretation of Capitalism?

Who said anything about denying meals to students? I said school meals don’t have to be “healthy”.

Meals at school should be nutritious too, because it does no good to feed the kids junk and expect them to learn, as well as grow healthfully. The meals don’t have to be garbage.
Serving what is basically junk food to the students has worked well enough for the past 70+ years.

So, thatoneguy, that’s what you want your kids fed at lunch time, junk food? That’s not what I call a good father.