Nine Spine-Chilling Reasons to Vote in These Midterms

Pass it along to a friend who hasn’t voted yet. :slight_smile:

Nine Spine-Chilling Reasons to Vote in These Midterms by Imani Gandy, Senior Legal Analyst, RH Reality Check October 31, 2014 http://rhrealitycheck.org/ablc/2014/10/31/nine-spine-chilling-reasons-to-vote-these-midterms/
Election Day is just around the corner. Hey! Stop groaning! I heard that! Look, I know you may not want to vote. And I know that a lot of states have made it pretty doggone hard for you to vote. But it’s important that you vote anyway. Yes, the government is broken. After all, many Americans widely regard this Congress as the Worst One Ever. I mean, just read the headlines: “14 Reasons Why This Is the Worst Congress Ever";“Is This the Worst Congress Ever?";“Congress on Track to Be the Worst Ever at Passing Laws"; and so on. And yes, it’s easy to get discouraged and to think that your vote doesn’t count. After all, somewhere along the way, some politician made promises to you that they didn’t keep. You were pledged candy canes and roses, and all you got were Tootsie rolls and dandelions. But it could get worse. Don’t think it can’t. ...
1. 20-Week Abortion Ban Since 2011, 20-week abortion bans have become all the rage. Thirteen states—Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and Texas—have passed them, and others are waiting in the wings to get their shot. These bans are grounded in junk science about how fetuses can feel pain or how they masturbate in utero. (And heaven forbid we come between a male and his God-given right to wank off.) ... 2. Personhood Speaking of crawling into America’s collective uterus, should Tuesday’s election go as terribly as it could, we can expect federal “personhood" efforts to resume with great haste. Over the past six years, the country has survived scads of GOP attempts to pass personhood bills. Remember back in 2013 when Rand Paul—who is already positioning himself as the next GOP candidate—attached a personhood amendment to a flood insurance bill? We can expect to see personhood amendments attached to errrrrything, should Republicans take the Senate. ... 3. Tennessee Amendment 1 Speaking of voting “No!" on stuff, how about voting “No way, dude!" on Tennessee Amendment 1? See, in Tennessee, there are constitutional protections for abortion rights. But Amendment 1 would remove those protections, paving the way for Tennessee to follow in the footsteps of practically every other state in this country and start passing gnarly anti-choice restrictions willy-nilly. … 4. Republican Control over Filling Judicial Vacancies Speaking of Texas, guess which state has the most judicial vacancies? Texas. And guess which dudes have been a rather large pain in the taco about filling those judicial vacancies? Senators Ted Cruz and John Cornyn, both of whom are from—you guessed it—Texas! Of the 64 vacancies on federal court benches in states around the country, nine of those vacancies are in Texas federal courts, with two of those nine in the Fifth Circuit. ... 5. Republican Supermajorities In 2012, Republicans gained a veto-proof supermajority in Missouri, and it’s probably going to get worse after Tuesday. Why is it so bad in Missouri? How about the fact that anti-choice Republicans there have done everything they can—including passing 31 anti-choice bills this year alone in an effort to close Missouri’s last remaining abortion clinic and sending a pleading letter to Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster demanding that he enforce the state’s unconstitutional abortion ban—to really stick it to women in Missouri. ... 6. Impeachment Proceedings Speaking of “show me the way out," should Republicans take back the Senate, they will likely attempt to show President Obama the way out of office. In an email to the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid warned that a Republican takeover would likely lead to impeachment proceedings. ... 7. Climate Change Speaking of Republicans who don’t brain so good, how about those climate change denialists? Eh? The earth is getting warmer. You know it. I know it. Scientists know it. But you know who doesn’t know it? A hell of a lot of Republicans. Here’s a video that Lee Fang of The Republic Report put together which shows just which candidates have their heads so far lodged up their respective colons when it comes to climate science that they can probably taste the rainbow. ... 8. More Attempts to Repeal Obamacare Speaking of things Republicans are uninformed about, they’re apparently not so up-to-date on America’s stomach for repealing Obamacare. I don’t know about you, but I like health care. I especially like affordable health care. (But that might just be my pre-existing condition talking.) Even though I now have employer-provided health care, there was a time when I relied on the Affordable Care Act to keep my brain from exploding. And I know that the ACA has helped a lot of folks out there, too. So no—I don’t want Obamacare repealed. ... 9. Some Seriously Scary Races Speaking of things that make my pituitary tumor pulse, did you know we could possibly elect a dude in Texas who believes that God speaks to us through Duck Dynasty? Because we could. Or, did you know we might elect an Iowa senator who reserves the right to use a gun to defend herself, not just from intruders or other ne’er-do-wells, but from the government. ...
Buddy can you spare a vote?

Well said CC and excellent examples BTW. The Republicans already have a supermajority here in Ohio and Kasich is a shoe-in (few voters have even heard of his opponent Ed. Fitzgerald) for the next election and with a “mandate” from the people he’ll step up fracking and make another stab at destroying unions. And nationally, progressives can expect much worse which makes this election very important especially with the presidential election barely a year away and Mitt Romney waiting in the wings. And yes your vote counts! You’d better believe the one percenters will be at the polls.
Cap’t Jack

As progressive voting in Texas has about as much impact, these days, as a single drop of rain in Death Valley. Still, a single drop of moisture is better than none. I cast my vote (though I was only allowed to vote provisionally, as I refused to obey the unconstitutional law that requires presentation of a picture ID).
My best hope is that people in other states (where there is actually a reasonable chance of making a difference) will vote.
So, please, people, vote. Don’t passively lie back and allow us all to continue to be fucked. At least put up that much of a struggle.

A progressive voting in Texas has about as much impact, these days, as a single drop of rain in Death Valley. Still, a single drop of moisture is better than none. I cast my vote (though I was only allowed to vote provisionally, as I refused to obey the unconstitutional law that requires presentation of a picture ID).
Believe me I feel your pain Tim. Southern Ohio is solidly red and with gerrymandering the Republicans pretty much have the State sewn up but my family and I will be voting Democrat tomorrow. I haven't missed an election since Carter and there have been times when I felt like the cartoon mouse flipping off the eagle swooping down on him, defiant to the last but at least I have bitching rights. I do miss the times when I voted for a moderate Republican though, but most of 'em vanished in the nineties when Newt Gingrich began a campaign to demonize the term "liberal". Now if they don't love guns and Jesus they don't stand a chance of winning an election. So I'm with you; spread as much moisture as you can. Cap't Jack
As progressive voting in Texas has about as much impact, these days, as a single drop of rain in Death Valley. Still, a single drop of moisture is better than none. I cast my vote (though I was only allowed to vote provisionally, as I refused to obey the unconstitutional law that requires presentation of a picture ID).
Believe me I feel your pain Tim. Southern Ohio is solidly red and with gerrymandering the Republicans pretty much have the State sewn up but my family and I will be voting Democrat tomorrow. I haven't missed an election since Carter and there have been times when I felt like the cartoon mouse flipping off the eagle swooping down on him, defiant to the last but at least I have bitching rights. I do miss the times when I voted for a moderate Republican though, but most of 'em vanished in the nineties when Newt Gingrich began a campaign to demonize the term "liberal". Now if they don't love guns and Jesus they don't stand a chance of winning an election. So I'm with you; spread as much moisture as you can. Cap't Jack I have an idea.: Run for office as an independent. Only present and promote progressive agenda ideas. But always couch them as red-blooded, patriotic, family-values, and self-sufficient, god-fearing ideas. Whenever possible, have a giant poster, behind you, of Jesus with a gun in one hand and a noosed and hung effigy of President Obama, in the other hand. Always carry your speaking notes in a Holy Bible. And at random moments, out of the blue, shout out: "America! Hell yeah!".

On 2nd thought, so that you don’t lose all of the black vote, the poster of Jesus should depict him as having extremely subtle African features. He should be holding a semi-automatic rifle high in the air with one hand. With the other hand he should be patting President Obama on the head, while looking down at him with an expression of intense concern and condescending compassion.
And, in general, when speaking in public, occasionally bring up something your opponent has said or done that is threatening our way of life (even if what your opponent said or did, is completely out of context, or even if it is untrue altogether). Just say it with an air of complete confidence and repeat it often. Throw in a dash of humorous derision of your opponent’s supposed statements or actions at times.
I can see it, already: The Honorable Independent Senator from Ohio, Captain Jack.

On 2nd thought, so that you don’t lose all of the black vote, the poster of Jesus should depict him as having extremely subtle African features. He should be holding a semi-automatic rifle high in the air with one hand. With the other hand he should be patting President Obama on the head, while looking down at him with an expression of intense concern and condescending compassion. And, in general, when speaking in public, occasionally bring up something your opponent has said or done that is threatening our way of life (even if what your opponent said or did, is completely out of context, or even if it is untrue altogether). Just say it with an air of complete confidence and repeat it often. Throw in a dash of humorous derision of your opponent’s supposed statements or actions at times. I can see it, already: The Honorable Independent Senator from Ohio, Captain Jack.
Ugh, parish the thought! I just can't bring myself to wrap up in the flag, tote a gun to the local Wal Mart with the floppy book under one arm and kiss smelly, chocolate faced babies and lie, lie lie to everyone I meet while accusing my opponent of doing the same. the idea of a lot of Bernie Sanders in the Senate sounds intriguing though. We could use a sprinkling of independents to bring us back to the center again where Congress could actually get some useful work done like say, solutions to climate change perhaps? Or improving the infrastructure with Federally funded jobs projects, improvements in educational facilities, making jobs, training and social services easier to access for the poor, ya know, stuff like that instead of non issues like ending abortion and prayer in schools. Can't Jack
... I just can't bring myself to wrap up in the flag, tote a gun to the local Wal Mart with the floppy book under one arm and kiss smelly, chocolate faced babies and lie, lie lie to everyone I meet while accusing my opponent of doing the same... Can't Jack
It is a totally disgusting thought. Neither could I, live with such lack of integrity. But it seems to be a tactic that works well for the C-worders (Conservatives).
It is a totally disgusting thought. Neither could I, live with such lack of integrity. But it seems to be a tactic that works well for the C-worders (Conservatives).
True and unfortunately politics is an amoral system that seems to turn altruists into vote whores especially around election time and the really sad thing is that, even though their constituents grouse about their reps they'll turn around and vote them back into office. Much of it is simply name recognition. This is what will get Mitch back in the Senate and maybe the majority leader's position. :shut: Cap't Jack
True and unfortunately politics is an amoral system that seems to turn altruists into vote whores especially around election time and the really sad thing is that, even though their constituents grouse about their reps they'll turn around and vote them back into office. Much of it is simply name recognition. This is what will get Mitch back in the Senate and maybe the majority leader's position. :shut: Cap't Jack
Ditto that. I am even more disgusted about it than your emoticon.