Colorado, North Dakota, Tennessee "Personhood" Ballot Issues

Hope you don’t mind me sharing the following. If you know any voters in those states remind them to vote :cheese:
At my site you’ll find a whole bunch of links to authoritative sources that provide further background to the claims I make
and the information that’s informed my opinion.

Republicans Denying a Woman's Right to Self Defense http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2014/10/republicans-womans-self-defense.html Saturday, October 25, 2014 Here is another diversion into the upcoming American election, this time highlighting one of the most shameful aspects of Republican power politics, their relentless attack on a women's right to self-determination and self-defense. They justify their stance on the conviction that they've tapped into the mind of Thee God Almighty, creator of time and life, and that 'God' has commanded them... out of "love" and "caring" - to force themselves into a woman's private business. Despite their personal conviction, the laws of a nation that professes "liberty for all" has no business invading a woman's bedroom. The crisis pregnancy is the concern of the woman, perhaps her family, health, and spiritual community, but certainly not the State. After all we are talking about a woman's right to self-determination and self-defense. Which in this 2014 election is under attack in Colorado, North Dakota, and Tennessee. Ironically, this same Republican God doesn't seem to have a problem with USA's gargantuan global armament sales (here, here, here, here ) nor with the hundreds of thousands of innocent civilian casualties our guns and bombs have inflicted (here, here, here, here). What's most disturbing is that these Republican masters of the universe, the same group that remains incapable of recognizing the disastrous consequences of invading Iraq - wants to dictate their brand of morality onto a frightened woman in a crisis pregnancy, (with complete disregard for each unique situation). Is it malicious or just thoughtless, I don't know. But I do know rational American citizens need to get out and vote in order to resoundingly defeat such measures every time they are brought up.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Rachel Richardson Smith, whose 1983 thesis dissertation for the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary was "The concept of mothering and concept of God in the Old Testament") wrote what remains the most succinct thoughtful examination of this complex tragic situation in a March 25, 1985 essay titled "Abortion, Right and Wrong" - I recommend it to all who have struggled with this situation or these questions. She is also the author of "Pregnancy and Childbirth: A Theological Event"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Who's a person? Colorado's Proposition 67 wants to make this the law:
"Shall there be an amendment to the Colorado constitution protecting pregnant women and unborn children by defining "person" and "child" in the Colorado criminal code and the Colorado wrongful death act to include unborn human beings?" [*]
Can we please consider a fertilized egg for a moment? It is a seed, home to unknowable potentialities. Do proponents understand that most conceptions result in spontaneous abortion? (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001488.htm) Why doesn't that matter to them? Yes, those fertilized eggs are bundles of sacred life and a world of potentialities. They deserve to be treated as sacred entities. But, death, passing on, is a part of life, especially during those months of gestation. The fertilized egg must achieve genuine viability before it deserves the mantle of “personhood." It seems most unreasonable to demand that a “Potentiality" deserves the same legal standing as an existing human. ...

a belated up date, courtesy of Colorado And North Dakota Voters Reject Fetal Personhood Measures | HuffPost Latest News

Colorado voters rejected the amendment by a vote of 63 percent to 37 percent -- the third time they have voted down a personhood measure in the past few years. “For the third time, Colorado voters have said loud and clear: We don’t want extremists interfering in our personal and private decisions, and we won’t stand for attempts to ban abortion," said Jennifer Dalven, director of the American Civil Liberties Union Reproductive Freedom Project.
Unfortunately we were stupid enough to elect another idiot ideologue to the House of Representatives
Colorado voters on Tuesday did, however, elect to the Senate Republican Cory Gardner, who co-sponsored fetal personhood legislation in the House of Representatives.
North Dakota voters on Tuesday also rejected a personhood ballot measure by a margin of 64 percent to 36 percent. The measure would have amended the state constitution to say, "The inalienable right to life of every human being at any stage of development must be recognized and protected.'" Supporters of the measure said it was not, in fact, a personhood bill and that it was only a statement of anti-abortion values. Opponents argued that the measure was so vaguely written, it could have been interpreted to ban all abortions without exception and even complicate the legality of some forms of birth control and in vitro fertilization.
Think supporters of the measure have learned anything? Perhaps that their Lord's cuming is one day closer… but beyond that I doubt it - Fight tooth and nail for the unborn fetus while actively destroying the biosphere all life depends on - now there's religion at it's best. Though actually we know it's just Republican power-politics in the post Nixon/Reagan era.