My half-racist son.

So you prefer to keep them ignorant of the past?
CRT isn't history so they would not be missing out on anything.

I think if one wants to learn history that isn’t taught below the 12th grade, they should take a few college courses in Native American Studies and African American Studies. It will make you angry with your ancestors, but it is well worth the time and money to take some of the courses or all of them if you want. It’s U.S. history, but the subjects, while some are mentioned, are not explored as much in 12th grade and below, like they are in college or if you are lucky high school honours courses. I was also lucky enough to be in high school honours U.S. history courses.

CRT isn’t history so they would not be missing out on anything.
A basic premise of CRT is you can't understand what is happening today without understanding the history.
The limitations of legal interventions have led to current manifestations of racial inequality in education, including:
  • The predominance of curriculum that excludes the history and lived experiences of Americans of color and imposes a dominant white narrative of history;
https://www.americanbar.org/groups/crsj/publications/human_rights_magazine_home/civil-rights-reimagining-policing/a-lesson-on-critical-race-theory/

Denying them the opportunity to learn a particular aspect of history.

Do you want to just teach them the “pretty white history of America”?

There are (racist?) things about American History that were not taught in my HS. … (at least I don’t remember learning about them ) And as noted elsewhere, I was raised in a “notoriously white” city.

But I don’t think that kind of teaching goes on at less than 6th grade, anyways.

I’m not really sure where people are getting this idea that they weren’t teaching about racism in schools, because even in the '70s and '80s when I grew up we were made well aware of the racism in the past. CRT takes things to a whole new level using anti-white rhetoric as though only white people can be racist. There is no focus across the board regarding ALL races. It’s propaganda plain and simple. I give it though that CRT does a nice job of removing any and all accountability from other races as to their own failures.

I’m not really sure where people are getting this idea that they weren’t teaching about racism in schools, because even in the ’70s and ’80s when I grew up we were made well aware of the racism in the past.
Yes and that is what CRT seeks to remove from school curriculum. Slaves were happy people is the new motto. What is completely overlooked is that slaves built this country and American history is incomplete without the acknowledgement of the slaves' contribution to this country, including taking up arms to protect it from enemies foreign and domestic.
CRT takes things to a whole new level using anti-white rhetoric as though only white people can be racist. There is no focus across the board regarding ALL races. It’s propaganda plain and simple. I give it though that CRT does a nice job of removing any and all accountability from other races as to their own failures.
Oh, it does indeed, and seeks to distort history and marginalize the Native Indian, African, and Chinese contributions in making this the most livable country in the world, until recently! By denying history you deny an informed citizenry.
CRT takes things to a whole new level using anti-white rhetoric as though only white people can be racist. There is no focus across the board regarding ALL races.
(as I understand it)

It’s not saying who is racist and who isn’t.

It’s about the laws and policies … and btw - who, historically, made the laws and policies? - Old White Men.

So of course they would make policies to benefit Old White Men.

You don’t see any policies by Black men that are racist against Whites, because (again, historically) Blacks and other minorities don’t make the laws and policies.

Who owns all the big corporations - Old White Men

Surely they wouldn’t care to make laws or policies to benefit women, Blacks, Mexicans, Cubans or Asians … unless they had to.

Yes and that is what CRT seeks to remove from school curriculum. Slaves were happy people is the new motto.
I think it's all coming back to me now. I remember reading in elementary school books like, "The Happy Slaves of America" and Uncle Tom's "Livin Large on the Cotton Farm."
What is completely overlooked is that slaves built this country
305k slaves built the United States to what it is today?

So by your argument slaves created

• The US Constitution
  • The US government
  • The Economy
  • OSHA
  • EDD
  • Internet
  • Cars
  • Trucks
  • Planes
  • Rockets
  • Roads
  • Buildings
  • and every infrastructure ever made in the US.
I've read the doctrine of the Jeffersonian Starship, and it clearly stated that it had been "Rock and Roll" that had built our cities, NOT slaves.
Oh, it does indeed, and seeks to distort history and marginalize the Native Indian, African, and Chinese contributions in making this the most livable country in the world, until recently! By denying history you deny an informed citizenry.
"Marginalized" is the new mating call of the eternal victim. I hear this word all the time and it never ceases to stop entertain with its absurdity. If you're so weak that you fail because people put you down and make you feel sad, then I'm sure enough that you were destined to fail to begin with. Do you really want to keep minorities down, then keep telling them they're a victim and it's not their fault. You're a part of the group that is destroying these people's lives and the sad part is you'll never stop the realize it by thinking it through. I recommend looking up Thomas Sowell to get a different perspective on what's really holding minorites back.

@mitch70

only white people can be racist.

That’s not true. There are Black people who are racist against white people. Malcolm X wasn’t exactly white people friendly.

@write4u

Slaves were happy people is the new motto.

Um… no they weren’t. Why do you think there was an underground railroad and slaves running away all the time? No human being is property and they never should have been. They were whipped to a bloody pulp for any reason the massa deemed fit to do it, maybe even for his own pleasure. If that is what CRT teaches, it is sadly mistaken.

That’s not true. There are Black people who are racist against white people. Malcolm X wasn’t exactly white people friendly.
I agree with you but that's what the left (which I grew up with btw) is turning into. I don't blame Malcolm X for his hatred of white people. His world was shit compared to what we have today. You get what you give in this lifetime and I'm sure most of what he got from white people was hate. If I were him I probably would have come out the same way. The push today by the left is that ALL white people are evil, and in the same breath I've heard people from the black community say "black people can't be racist because they've been raced upon." Not just once have I heard this but many times before in the past. The first time I heard it was back in 1996 and I thought back then that no way could such an idiotic way of thinking catch on, yet here we are. For some reason now the greater majority of black people think that it is not possible for them to be racist.
Um… no they weren’t. Why do you think there was an underground railroad and slaves running away all the time? No human being is property and they never should have been. They were whipped to a bloody pulp for any reason the massa deemed fit to do it, maybe even for his own pleasure. If that is what CRT teaches, it is sadly mistaken.
Of course not mriana, but I was being absurd at the notion posted by write4u that slaves being happy is the current motto. Other than pulling it out of his assumptions I see no evidence to support his claim.

@mitch70

I don’t blame Malcolm X for his hatred of white people. His world was shit compared to what we have today. You get what you give in this lifetime and I’m sure most of what he got from white people was hate.

Quite true.

Other than pulling it out of his assumptions I see no evidence to support his claim.

Yeah, because the song “Wade in the Water” wasn’t about baptism.

“Wade in the Water”
I've never heard of it. So is he claiming that this is his source for believing that all white people thought that slaves were happy?
Of course not mriana, but I was being absurd at the notion posted by write4u that slaves being happy is the current motto. Other than pulling it out of his assumptions I see no evidence to support his claim.
I saw an interview with some fairly prominent state legislator in relation to the history of slavery and heard him say it. Please don't lay this at my doorstep.

OK, did a little checking.

Louisiana-owned plantation removes sign about ‘happy’ slaves March 20, 2019

ST. FRANCISVILLE, La. (AP) — An official sign declaring that slaves were “well taken-care of and happy” at Louisiana’s most-visited historical site has been removed.

It’s unclear how long the sign was up at Rosedown Plantation, State Parks deputy assistant secretary Brandon Burris told The Advocate . It hung in the plantation’s detached kitchen as part of an exhibit called “Slave Life at Rosedown.”

About 850 people were enslaved there before the Civil War. The sign said they lived in “prettily built and very comfortable” cabins, where they were awoken at 4 a.m., and had “a natural musical instinct” that was showcased at Christmas.

The US Constitution

“We The People” = Males of European descent. No, slaves didn’t write that

The Economy
Do you understand the impact of "slave labor" on the cost of goods?
Internet
OK - Al gore - white guy.
and every infrastructure ever made in the US.
Maybe they weren't technically slaves, but a lot of Chinese labor went into the early rails.
So by your argument slaves created The US Constitution “We The People” = Males of European descent. No, slaves didn’t write that.
You're right. Males of American Indian descent wrote that long before the invasion by White Europeans.
The Economy
Yes, the US economy was built on the backs of slaves.

@mitch70, you are twisting words and ranting. It really messes up a thread and makes others work to untwist you

@mitch70, you are twisting words and ranting. It really messes up a thread and makes others work to untwist you
I see this happen all the time between people's posts, and yes it happens to me also. Even you've done it to me in the past focusing many times on one small section of what I wrote only to ignore the entirety of what my points had been. You've made it clear a long time ago of how you view me, and all your replies to my posts are just knee-jerk reactions to your assumptions.
Yes, the US economy was built on the backs of slaves.
No, a fraction of the US economy used slaves. We've done a hell of a lot more in the past 155 years since the abolition of slavery, but that's not what you said.

You said

What is completely overlooked is that slaves built this country
This completely boggled me as to why you would make such a ridiculous claim. Worse yet, you ACTUALLY have people here supporting your absurd notion. Then you argued that some small group went out to argue about how slaves were happy and how this justifies why we need CRT.

Write4U Maybe Lausten was right that I misunderstood your post, so I’m open to having a discussion to maybe clear things up.

We’ve done a hell of a lot more in the past 155 years since the abolition of slavery, but that’s not what you said. -- mitch70
Clearly, Write4 was talking about the building of America that occurred before 1863, going all the way back to 1619. The plantation system was the "silicon valley" of its time, generating tremendous wealth and spreading that out through shipping and international trade. He was not talking about the writing of the Constitution, but the work done to create the profits. Cheap labor continued to be available to the South through Jim Crow laws, and through discriminatory hiring and pay in the factories of the North.
One crop, slave-grown cotton, provided over half of all US export earnings.
https://www.gilderlehrman.org/history-resources/teaching-resource/historical-context-was-slavery-engine-american-economic-growth
that some small group went out to argue about how slaves were happy and how this justifies why we need CRT.
Do you leave your house? I was taught this in elementary school. It became much less popular of a notion after Roots was on TV. People in my family argue this, do you think they made it up themselves or did they hear it somewhere? Arguments have been made based on the value for a strong male slave, stating that the cost would not justify mistreating them. Movies and television depicted them singing and playing with the white children, up until the last few decades.

Maybe it was clear to you since you may have had these discussions with write4u in the past. Regardless, I appreciate the link. I’ve bookmarked the page, and I’ll look into it over the week.

Do you leave your house? I was taught this in elementary school. It became much less popular of a notion after Roots was on TV. People in my family argue this, do you think they made it up themselves or did they hear it somewhere? Arguments have been made based on the value for a strong male slave, stating that the cost would not justify mistreating them. Movies and television depicted them singing and playing with the white children, up until the last few decades.
What you are referring to is what had been taught decades ago. We've moved on a great deal since those days, so acting as though "happy slaves" are being taught in today's would be lying.
This completely boggled me as to why you would make such a ridiculous claim. - mitch
What completely boggled me was that you took it to that context:

The US Constitution
The US government
The Economy
OSHA
EDD
Internet
Cars
Trucks
Planes
Rockets
Roads
Buildings
and every infrastructure ever made in the US.

-mitch

Unless you were just looking to be a troll.