My half-racist son.

I have no idea how anyone could even remotely support the critical race theory, but with that being said, I regretted believing that this forum overwhelmingly probably believes in it not to mention fully supports it being taught in our elementary schools. Please tell me I’m wrong. My son is 5 years old and will be attending his first year in September. Do you think his white bloodline seriously makes him a racist?

So you haven’t really looked into it, beyond facebook posts and twits?

You should be able to get a syllabus from the school on what subjects are being taught.

Colors

Counting

Alphabet

Critical Race Theory

Differential Equations

Quantum Mechanics

Looks about right for a 5 yo.

@mitch70 I do not know enough about it to support or not support it. The only thing I know about it is what I’ve heard here on CFI. I’m more concerned about kids returning to school unvaccinated and unmask. We have stupid parents in Missouri who won’t get vaccinated [against COVID-19], won’t vaccinated their kids, and won’t wear a mask or make their kids wear one, which means the Delta variant will continue to fly through this stupid, backward state and there will be break through cases. I only hope the break through cases don’t happen to my vaccinated family or if it does, our vaccines work well enough for us that we get asymptomatic at best and mild at worst. There are still people who are fully vaccinated who end up in the hospital with COVID, but that’s 6 fully vaccinated people to the hundreds who aren’t vaccinated. Yes, the two hospitals in Springfield MO had 6 allegedly fully vaccinated patients in their COVID ward. That’s scary and makes me hope that all our efforts (my husband, 1 adult son, my 76 y.o. mother in assisted living, and myself) to get vaccinated are very worth it. I have another adult son living in a crowded situation who refuses to wear a mask or get vaccinated (along with all the other idiots in MO), but he’s not very brilliant and has a lot of other issues. I suspect, with either the delta variant or possibly the Lamda one, I could lose him and trying to prepare my mind for that, just in case. It’s hard. So this critical race theory isn’t actually on my radar right now. All I know is, if my younger son (age 30) gets this delta variant, he probably won’t get the same care as a person who is all white, because that’s been the way it’s been going with minorities and COVID. More Black people die from COVID than white people and there was even a news article from a Black nurse who got COVID and how the treatment for COVID was not equal. She died and her son gave his view of the story. The problem is getting the Black community vaccinated with all the fear of government experiments and crap. So if CRT has to do with historical inequality, experiments on minories, historically racist institutions/corporations, Jim Crow history, history only told from the white POV, then I’m all for it and have bigger fish to fry than worry about CRT being taught.

CRT is a derivative of CT: it argues that social problems are influenced and created more by societal structures and cultural assumptions than by individual and psychological factors.

It’s all the above. Children learn what they grow up with in their family, schools, and society. My mother and mother-in-law are products of their generation.

CRT is a derivative of CT: it argues that social problems are influenced and created more by societal structures and cultural assumptions than by individual and psychological factors.
So are we supposed to think that societal structures and cultural assumptions don't influence individuals and psychological factors?

I mean feeling one has a god given right to own other humans - which fundamentally is at the foundation of whitey’s superiority complex - sure is the driver behind personal development.

Here again is a wonderful example of why an appreciation for the “Human Mindscape ~ Physical Reality divide” is so critically important. Biology teaches us that it’s impossible to understand a creature, without also understand the environment it exists within. It’s all too simple for our ego-saturated thinking processes.

Still, it’s as true for humans as it is for microbes.

Beyond anything Mrmhead wrote, and I’m sure he doesn’t resemble this remark, I’m referring to the bigger issue of Right Wing supremacist obsession, seems to me hating CRP feels right up the alley of Ayn Randian self-obsession.

??

Thx, I sort of needed that. I read the news article a while back and I just couldn’t believe that they were indoctrinating kids with such insanity at such a young age. He starts his first year this September, and the anxiety just kept building up in me. Hopefully, he’ll be able to keep up with the Quantum Mechanics class. He’s half Asian so he has half a chance IMO.

CRT is a derivative of CT: it argues that social problems are influenced and created more by societal structures and cultural assumptions than by individual and psychological factors. So are we supposed to think that societal structures and cultural assumptions don’t influence individuals and psychological factors?

I mean feeling one has a god given right to own other humans – which fundamentally is at the foundation of whitey’s superiority complex – sure is the driver behind personal development.

Here again is a wonderful example of why an appreciation for the “Human Mindscape ~ Physical Reality divide” is so critically important. Biology teaches us that it’s impossible to understand a creature, without also understand the environment it exists within. It’s all too simple for our ego-saturated thinking processes.

Still, it’s as true for humans as it is for microbes.

Beyond anything Mrmhead wrote, and I’m sure he doesn’t resemble this remark, I’m referring to the bigger issue of Right Wing supremacist obsession, seems to me hating CRP feels right up the alley of Ayn Randian self-obsession.

I’m certainly over simplifying it, but I think CT / CRT is another “Nature vs Nurture” examination.

“Nature” would be a persons “individual and psychological factors”

“Nurture” would be akin to the societal and cultural factors.

CT / CRT (apparently) argues that Nurture has the greater influence.

Though the “psychological factors” are influenced by society and culture … folds within folds as CC is fond of saying ?

There are still people who are fully vaccinated who end up in the hospital with COVID, but that’s 6 fully vaccinated people to the hundreds who aren’t vaccinated.
And of course, the anti-vaxxers will use this information to justify their stance on why nobody should get the vaccinations. It's this limited type of thinking that will get people killed. I watched a video about a double-blind study of vax and non, and the vax group had a couple of cases where the individuals still got the COVID, but with greatly reduced symptoms, none of which lead them to the hospital.
All I know is, if my younger son (age 30) gets this delta variant, he probably won’t get the same care as a person who is all white, because that’s been the way it’s been going with minorities and COVID. More Black people die from COVID than white people and there was even a news article from a Black nurse who got COVID and how the treatment for COVID was not equal. She died and her son gave his view of the story.
The media has had a huge push to create racial dissension lately and I only see this getting worse. I don't believe that black people are being racially discriminated against in hospitals so much as the hospitals giving people who have a great deal of money first, insurance second, and all everyone else on the backburner. Regardless, I wish you the best in hopes that your son does not contract the virus. My wife says that she read that a person can still get the vax even if you had already got the virus, but I'm not 100% confirmed on that.

hospitals giving people who have a great deal of money first, -- 70
That could easily be tracked and verified using data. Also, why would a nurse care how much money someone has? They get paid the same no matter who they treat

I agree with you from the nurses perspective, but my point was the hospitals care more about you being able to pay than your race.

Mitch, what do you mean by the “the hospitals”. They don’t check your finances when you check in. Insurance is the barrier, and most will take you and let you apply for aid afterwards. I worked at a company that was based on helping people do that.

I agree with you from the nurses perspective, but my point was the hospitals care more about you being able to pay than your race.

This is true.

Insurance is the barrier, and most will take you and let you apply for aid afterwards.

I’ve never heard of such a thing and I’ve never made much money. I make payments on my medical bills, even with insurance. In fact, I currently owe the hospital for tests ($400) my doctor ordered. I’m giving the hospital $20/month and they are screaming that’s not enough. Too bad, so sad, I don’t make enough to pay them what they want and not once have they offered any financial aid. They really don’t care as long as the greed is fed, in full or as fast as they want it to be fed, not what you can afford to pay. While my husband makes more, we keep our finances separate, in part of my student loans. It’s not the nurse, but s/he gets told what to do by the higher ups and she has to do it, if she wants a job, regardless of how she feels about it. Hospitals, like Big Pharma and large corporations, function on greed.

It appears the biggest teachers union in the country supports teaching CRT.

The NEA will, with guidance on implementation from the NEA president and chairs of the Ethnic Minority Affairs Caucuses:

A. Share and publicize, through existing channels, information already available on critical race theory (CRT) – what it is and what it is not; have a team of staffers for members who want to learn more and fight back against anti-CRT rhetoric; and share information with other NEA members as well as their community members.

B. Provide an already-created, in-depth, study that critiques empire, white supremacy, anti-Blackness, anti-Indigeneity, racism, patriarchy, cisheteropatriarchy, capitalism, ableism, anthropocentrism, and other forms of power and oppression at the intersections of our society, and that we oppose attempts to ban critical race theory and/or The 1619 Project.

C. Publicly (through existing media) convey its support for the accurate and honest teaching of social studies topics, including truthful and age-appropriate accountings of unpleasant aspects of American history, such as slavery, and the oppression and discrimination of Indigenous, Black, Brown, and other peoples of color, as well as the continued impact this history has on our current society. The Association will further convey that in teaching these topics, it is reasonable and appropriate for curriculum to be informed by academic frameworks for understanding and interpreting the impact of the past on current society, including critical race theory.

D. Join with Black Lives Matter at School and the Zinn Education Project to call for a rally this year on October 14—George Floyd’s birthday—as a national day of action to teach lessons about structural racism and oppression. Followed by one day of action that recognize and honor lives taken such as Breonna Taylor, Philando Castile, and others. The National Education Association shall publicize these National Days of Action to all its members, including in NEA Today.

E. Conduct a virtual listening tour that will educate members on the tools and resources needed to defend honesty in education including but not limited to tools like CRT.

F. Commit President Becky Pringle to make public statements across all lines of media that support racial honesty in education including but not limited to critical race theory.

I have elementary school age kids too and would definitely pull them out of the system if need be.

I have elementary school age kids too and would definitely pull them out of the system if need be.
So you prefer to keep them ignorant of the past?

I have elementary school age kids too and would definitely pull them out of the system if need be. So you prefer to keep them ignorant of the past?
How does this keep them ignorant?
If you accept that anti CRT is about not wanting to hear actual history and how it actually affects us today...
If you accept that anti CRT is about not wanting to hear actual history and how it actually affects us today...
Denying them the opportunity to learn a particular aspect of history.

Do you want to just teach them the “pretty white history of America”?

There are (racist?) things about American History that were not taught in my HS. … (at least I don’t remember learning about them? ) And as noted elsewhere, I was raised in a “notoriously white” city.

But I don’t think that kind of teaching goes on at less than 6th grade, anyways.

Maybe this should be in a separate thread, in another sub- …

Are the voting restriction laws by the GOP an example of CRT?

The laws are written “color-blind”, but as the Liberals claim, it is directed at the black community.