Pediatrician Going off the Deep End

To start off our pediatrician is an MD. Our daughter has a number of allergies and so he recommended postponing some vaccinations for the time being. I also noticed that now he also has pamphlets and advertisements for chiropractors and naturopaths in the area. But what really got me was that he recommended Homeopathic Prophylaxis instead of the vaccine to use in the meantime. What a bunch of utter bullshit. To be fair he actually gave a pamphlet explaining homeopathy which states that it has 0 molecules of the original substance. I pointed this out to him and he said things like “have you heard of water crystal structures?” “have you looked into quantum physics?” The usual bullshit. I told him that I do not buy it and that just because there is uncertainty in quantum physics is not an excuse to insert whatever pseudoscience that you want. I couldn’t keep arguing because he had to go to the next patient.
Is there anything I can do to report this BS?

Generally, there aren’t specific rules against offering most quackery or giving bad or pseudoscientific advice. You can see what your state medical board lists as options for a complaint, but I doubt this would be covered under the law. Homeopathy is even technically FDA approved due to a grandfather clause in the law, so technically this sort of recommendation is probably well within the guidelines for licensed medical practice. If he is an associate and not the owner of the practice, a complaint to the administration or ownership detailing his recommendations and how they conflict with current accepted scientific practice might be worthwhile. And warning other parents in your area, via an honest but not abusive online review, could be useful.
Perhaps MacGyver has a better insight into how to discourage this sort of practice within the limits of how MDs are regulated.

Hell you can’t even make a physician correct obvious and demonstrable errors in their examination notes if they happen.

I hope you’re looking for a new pediatrician.

I hope you're looking for a new pediatrician.
I want to, but it will be hard to convince my wife right now. She likes him because he takes time with his patients and really is compassionate. I tried furthering the conversation on Facebook giving him the best links I could find about homeopathy and the specific one he recommended. No response yet...
I want to, but it will be hard to convince my wife right now. She likes him because he takes time with his patients and really is compassionate. I tried furthering the conversation on Facebook giving him the best links I could find about homeopathy and the specific one he recommended. No response yet... As a physician I would certainly advise you find another physician. You are unlikely to change this doctors approach and you can't change the fact that he is scientifically illiterate if college and med school didn't accomplish that. I have said often that there are people who love science and go into medicine so they can use this amazing tool to help people and then there are people who want to be a physician and study science superficially just to get into medical school without ever really understanding science or appreciating its critical importance in the practice of medicine. Your pediatrician seems to fit into the second category. The danger of going to a physician like this is that you can never really trust anything he tells you because he has already demonstrated that scientific principals and empirical evidence are not important to him. There are lots of good doctors in the world and if you live in a metropolitan or suburban area chances are you have choices. Ask around. Your internist would be a good source if he or she is someone you trust. Your wife's gynecologist will also know all of the pediatricians in your area and will be familiar with their philosophy and approach to medicine. Be sure to let them know why you want to switch pediatricians so they are aware of this doctors practices. They may not even be aware this doctor is including homeopathy in his practice and might want to know in case future patients ask for referrals. Unfortunately as mckenzie has pointed out, this physicians practices are not illegal. Physicians are given a lot of latitude when treating patients so even the office of professional misconduct is unlikely to do anything about this although you can certainly call them to see what they say.
I want to, but it will be hard to convince my wife right now. She likes him because he takes time with his patients and really is compassionate. I tried furthering the conversation on Facebook giving him the best links I could find about homeopathy and the specific one he recommended. No response yet... Do you have no say in your family? Is your wife the one to automatically make all the choices no matter what you think? Lois
I want to, but it will be hard to convince my wife right now. She likes him because he takes time with his patients and really is compassionate. I tried furthering the conversation on Facebook giving him the best links I could find about homeopathy and the specific one he recommended. No response yet... Do you have no say in your family? Is your wife the one to automatically make all the choices no matter what you think? LoisUm... are you married? Being right isn't nearly as important as gender and personality in a marriage. If you want anecdotal evidence, ask any of my married male friends or family. Although it may only be anecdotal evidence, the fact that 100% of it backs me up makes it relevant.
I want to, but it will be hard to convince my wife right now. She likes him because he takes time with his patients and really is compassionate. I tried furthering the conversation on Facebook giving him the best links I could find about homeopathy and the specific one he recommended. No response yet... Do you have no say in your family? Is your wife the one to automatically make all the choices no matter what you think? LoisUm... are you married? Being right isn't nearly as important as gender and personality in a marriage. If you want anecdotal evidence, ask any of my married male friends or family. Although it may only be anecdotal evidence, the fact that 100% of it backs me up makes it relevant. I do have pretty heated discussions about CAM with her about once a week. She bought into a lot of those ideas and I'm trying to do what I can. But yes, I do not see us with this doctor long term.
I do have pretty heated discussions about CAM with her about once a week. She bought into a lot of those ideas and I'm trying to do what I can. But yes, I do not see us with this doctor long term.
The health of a child is a very emotional thing, so ignoring emotions to look at facts and use rational thought is tougher than in other topics. Just thinking about a child suffering gets your emotions going, so setting them to the side takes extra effort. We have good friends where the wife is a naturopath or homeopath (not sure which) taking patients and giving advice online. She has children who get an ungodly number of oils and powders and liquids added to their food along with supplements in pill form in the morning and at night. Her husband makes enough money that they can do this and not suffer financially and he knows it isn't hurting them as long as they aren't seriously sick. I don't know what would happen if one of the kids got really sick and she chose to only treat them naturopathically, but it could get ugly. I wish you the best in resolving this peacefully!
I do have pretty heated discussions about CAM with her about once a week. She bought into a lot of those ideas and I'm trying to do what I can. But yes, I do not see us with this doctor long term.
The health of a child is a very emotional thing, so ignoring emotions to look at facts and use rational thought is tougher than in other topics. Just thinking about a child suffering gets your emotions going, so setting them to the side takes extra effort. We have good friends where the wife is a naturopath or homeopath (not sure which) taking patients and giving advice online. She has children who get an ungodly number of oils and powders and liquids added to their food along with supplements in pill form in the morning and at night. Her husband makes enough money that they can do this and not suffer financially and he knows it isn't hurting them as long as they aren't seriously sick. I don't know what would happen if one of the kids got really sick and she chose to only treat them naturopathically, but it could get ugly. I wish you the best in resolving this peacefully! I've also been like this for some time as well. I generally don't get upset unless it has to do with important matters like vaccines or costly services that are probably not worth it. In this case it was this B.S. vaccine substitute that really pissed me off. He also recommends essential oils at times but I can deal with that. The bright side is that in the case of an emergency we are both on the same page as far as going to a regular hospital.
The health of a child is a very emotional thing, so ignoring emotions to look at facts and use rational thought is tougher than in other topics. Just thinking about a child suffering gets your emotions going, so setting them to the side takes extra effort. We have good friends where the wife is a naturopath or homeopath (not sure which) taking patients and giving advice online. She has children who get an ungodly number of oils and powders and liquids added to their food along with supplements in pill form in the morning and at night. Her husband makes enough money that they can do this and not suffer financially and he knows it isn't hurting them as long as they aren't seriously sick. I don't know what would happen if one of the kids got really sick and she chose to only treat them naturopathically, but it could get ugly. I wish you the best in resolving this peacefully! I've also been like this for some time as well. I generally don't get upset unless it has to do with important matters like vaccines or costly services that are probably not worth it. In this case it was this B.S. vaccine substitute that really pissed me off. He also recommends essential oils at times but I can deal with that. The bright side is that in the case of an emergency we are both on the same page as far as going to a regular hospital. Until it happens.
Until it happens.
Rest assured. Our first recourse in an emergency situation is and always has been a regular hospital and doctor.