Multiple Personality Disorder

Was watching a show where a character had multiple personality disorder, emphasis on “disorder”. So why isn’t multiple genders, gender fluidity, bisexuality, etc considered a disorder? Me I don’t care, just don’t be an ahole. But I’ll bet that’s what alot of conservatives/evangelicals view it as…no different than a sort of multiple personality thing, and we all agree to call THAT a disorder, a problem so we should consider sexuality/gender things a disorder too (again, I’m not saying that, I’m guessing that’s how the cons/evangs think). Thoughts?

You’re probably right. That’s probably what they think. But they probably aren’t aware of the differences between gender, sex, and sexuality. They probably don’t think of feminine and masculine as something that people with penises and vaginas have to different degrees.

It should be as simple as thinking about where you draw the line. A danseur could perform above the level of most men in their weekend sports, but dancing is gay. Are women weight lifters gender confused? How do you evaluate this?

Isn’t “Multiple Personality Disorder” about Multiple identities?

LGBTQ have AN identity.

Many HIDE their identities because of intolerance, but they don’t change it like a pair of socks.

Pretty much. They consider it amoral and devient.

However, true MPD is very rare, rarer than this gender stuff.

That’s right. You have to come up with some wrong idea, that the parts you are born with and/or the DNA you have shape who you are, which they do, but the wrong part, is that the “who” is molded to some cultural standard of what male and female “should” be. So, that is considered an identity that you are given, then, if you don’t fit the mold and feel you are something else, that’s a second identity. That’s completely wrong.

First, your genitals don’t override every other identity-shaping experience and hormone that you have. Second, we are all a mix of the many factors that lead us to act in ways that some might label or associate with gender. But those factors aren’t attached to sex. Some, like sexual preferences, are highly correlated, but that’s still not 100%.

I think the diagnostic criteria for mental illness has always been a gray area, and the sociopolitical climate probably drives much of what is considered mental illness and what isn’t.

What about actors? They’re always changing who they are.

Top athletes and competitors often talk about “They become somebody else” when in competition.

I’d think they are more susceptible to falling into a MPD state.

Definitely, grey and complex, and cons/evangies are all about black/white/simple.

That’s their job. In reality, what they do is no more than what kids do when they play house or some other game where they roleplay.

You have to view mental health as a spectrum. Everyone has symptoms of one mental illness or another, but you have to have all the characteristics of a mental illness to be Dx and Tx with it. All mental illness is is an extreme of the norm, but it doesn’t mean actors or athletes are more prone to becoming mentally ill. Keep in mind, depression is the common cold of mental health, quote and unquote one of my professor and other mental health professionals. Everyone gets down in the dumps or gets a case of the blues every now and then. It’s when it lasts for a few months that it becomes a mental health issue. One can be different personality wise in situation to another, but it doesn’t mean they have MPD. As a mother, I am different around my sons, but now that they are adults, I am not the same mother I was when they were children. That doesn’t mean I have MPD, it just means the situation and the relationship has changed, developed, and matured. Eventually, one of them will be taking care of me as though I was a child and they were the parent. It’s not MPD though. I’m also different at work than I am at home or off the job, still not MPD. There’s other situations, but mental illness is just an extreme of the norm.

Right, so LGBTQ is not a MPD, and not even a mental health problem.

1 Like

Right and homosexuality was removed from the DSM-III or IV, while gender dysmorphia can still be found in the DSM-V. HOWEVER, it is not under disorders, BECAUSE it some cases it really is the case and in other cases it maybe part of another emotional issue or something, but LGBTQ in and of itself is NOT a mental health disorder.

1 Like

True enough about conservatives. But, the complexity might be caused by human error rather than being an objective fact.