Jerry

To those of you who planned to attend Jerry’s memorial service, it has been moved to
The Torrance Elephant Bar
21227 Hawthorne Blvd
Torrance, CA
At 5 PM on November 30.
The family was unable to resolve its differences with the Unitarian Church. This may turn out to be a better venue for Jerry’s “send off.”
Cards or donations can be sent to
Janis Parker
27906 Indian Rock Dr.
P.O. Box 669
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275
Lois

It’s been a day of Thanksgiving emails flying amongst my siblings and I - with our mother turning 90 in a month on everyone’s mind, talk turned from Thanksgiving to a Mother’s Day reunion of her five far flung kids. Mom’s still independent, but the years keep taking away from her health and the inevitable losses of her life long loved ones is also weighting on her.
It would never do to call her an Atheist, but she don’t buy into a personal god either, and thinks that odds are her end will be the end for her. Though she fully knows she will live on in us, and many other’s whom she has touched during her life. Still it’s a lonely prospect that must be faced by everyone who survives into old, old age with a healthy mind.
In the last email the sister who lives in the same town as mom shared this YouTube, explaining how it reminded her of my mom’s attitude. Ironically, I listened to the full interview with Terry Gross when it originally aired and found it beautiful and touching; thought and tear provoking.
Maybe it’s just me, but somehow this seems to me worth adding into this thread where we’re doing homage to Jerry aka Occam’s memory.

An Illustrated Talk With Maurice Sendak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH2OaaktJrw ~ ~ ~ The interview: http://www.npr.org/2011/12/29/144077273/maurice-sendak-on-life-death-and-childrens-lit
I think what I really want to say is that if you have old loved ones getting close to the finish line, even though it might be years rather than months, it could turn out to be days, we never know - that's why I believe it's very important to let them know how much they mean to you while they are still around to gain the spiritual nourishment that being loved gives us humans. Happy Thanksgiving to us all, and may we live each day to it's fullest, while we have the vigor of life in us.

Occam will be missed. My sympathies to the family.

Occam will be missed by me too.
He was the first person that I connected with on the internet.
Through this digital media he was the first person who came through and gave me the feeling of a real person on the other end.
He also helped me to try to temper my bullshit on this forum. Alot of it got through.(Occam’s advice that is…)
Peace out brother.