Is this the place for me?

My name is Joy. I am an atheist and a skeptic. I tried the UU church, had to hold my tongue a lot. I tried an atheist group, I found out that not all atheists are rational. That was a huge surprise. I have always believed that the religious tend to fall for a lot of stuff like homeopathy and dowsing, because they start out each day believing a huge impossible thing. I thought atheists would be different, smarter even. Boy was I wrong.

If you learned something from the experience, it wasn’t a total loss. That reminds me of when I tried to join a Star Trek fan club and discovered the same thing, that not all of them are rational. We may be smarter than average, but smart people can stumble into blind alleys too. You’ll no doubt find people here you’ll disagree with too. Just don’t let it get you down and you’ll be fine. :slight_smile:

My name is Joy. I am an atheist and a skeptic. I tried the UU church, had to hold my tongue a lot. I tried an atheist group, I found out that not all atheists are rational. That was a huge surprise. I have always believed that the religious tend to fall for a lot of stuff like homeopathy and dowsing, because they start out each day believing a huge impossible thing. I thought atheists would be different, smarter even. Boy was I wrong.
Then yor obligation is to do your best to bring rationalty to such groups. You probably would do better with a group of Skeptics. Skeptics, at least, are in the business of rational thinking rather than just denying the existence of gods. You might start with a subscription to The Skeptical Inquirer, published by CFI. There are Skeptics and Rationalist societies in most states. Atheism is only a position on the existence of god. It has no other meaning and atheists can be as irrational as any believer. http://www.csicop.org/resources/us_organizations Lois
In my experience, no one is without some illogical or irrational thinking. The word atheist only actually applies the idea of a god or gods. You are at least logical and rational enough to recognize shoddy thinking in people who tend to lay claim to being absolutely skeptical. The labels people use are never actually completely accurate. You just learned something new about your own assumptions about the label atheist. Weeding out those little faulty thinking aspects of ourselves is a life long task for those able to admit their perspective is not without fallacies. Their are many people who never even consider examining their thinking and they are found among every ideology, religious or non religious.
You know how some religious people believe no one is without sin. A rational atheist can come to no other conclusion then that no one is without irrationality and inconsistencies. The best we can do is try to identify it in ourselves and correct it when we do. You will find some irrational comments made on these forums and I have at times made comments that I later found to be unsupportable. I think it is probably fair to say that atheists on the whole may be more rational than believers but no one is perfect and no group is completely homogenous.
Well, you were wrong, therefore you are human. Welcome to the club. Two drink minimum.
Well, you were wrong, therefore you are human. Welcome to the club. Two drink minimum. I am certainly glad you said "minimum".

I am also glad its a minimum. Thank you for your replies I think I’m going to enjoy reading the forum posts when I can’t sleep at night.

Welcome JoyO.
Feel free to jump in when a discussion interests you.