I'm bored with atheism

This will be short and sweet. I’m bored, not with life but with atheism.
I am still keeping an eye politically (separation of church and state and women’s rights) but for the most part once you come to terms with being an atheist publically (I was always atheist but not always vocal about it) and accept that some will care and some will not, there’s not much left.
No gods. Okay, done.
:frowning:
I’m tired of the fight, the arguments, there is no converting believers so I quit going there and doing that. They either come to it on their own or don’t. What’s next… nothing. So tell me something I don’t know.
MzLee

Hmmmm. MzLee, you sound like a jaded atheist. Are you sure this feeling is not temporary? You are a smart, insightful, and frank person. What do you think about there being an atheist community, or do you already belong to one? Do you think atheists can become a community? Or is that the equivalent of herding cats?
Danny

Sounds like you’re bored of arguing over atheism.
But like you say

No gods. Okay, done. MzLee
I found when it was time for me to get over debating the God thing - it was time to get on with experiencing and getting to know the rest of the world around us. :-)
Hmmmm. MzLee, you sound like a jaded atheist. Are you sure this feeling is not temporary? You are a smart, insightful, and frank person. What do you think about there being an atheist community, or do you already belong to one? Do you think atheists can become a community? Or is that the equivalent of herding cats? Danny
Yes, I do think atheism can be a community but as I've stated before it becomes either a political activism group or a volunteerism group because after everyone stands up and says, "Hi, I'm MzLee and I'm an atheist." what else is there really. I think I am a bit jaded. Somehow I thought there would be more. Not sure what more that would be, just more. :( I feel like Christmas thirty minutes after all the presents have been opened. Anti-climatic.
Sounds like you're bored of arguing over atheism. But like you say
I found when it was time for me to get over debating the God thing - it was time to get on with experiencing and getting to know the rest of the world around us. :-)
Exactly! It's like, climbing to the top of a mountain to shake your fist at the sky and yell, "Hey world, I'm here." and then hanging around a bit, getting bored, then going home and doing dishes. lol

Well, those dishes don’t do themselves.
I am still hoping that I’ll find a group or organization to get involved with that helps people move away from theism etc. I know most people in this forum don’t endorse engaging the beast, or don’t have any tolerance for those who are still trapped by religion, but not everyone starts on this journey already knowing that this god stuff is a sham. There are people who can learn and change, but only with time and patients. I do have patients, when I’m well rested and coffee is handy.

In a perfect world, atheism should be just as boring as not believing in UFOs, Sasquatch, ghosts, reincarnated spirits, psychic powers, etc., etc., etc.
It’s just that, in our society and most societies around the world, no one would think less of you for not believing in all of those other things. But if you don’t believe in God, most people still think that there is something wrong with you.
Still, if you could care less what most people think of you, and of other atheists, I think that it is quite okay to be bored with that one little aspect of who you are.

This will be short and sweet. I'm bored, not with life but with atheism. I am still keeping an eye politically (separation of church and state and women's rights) but for the most part once you come to terms with being an atheist publically (I was always atheist but not always vocal about it) and accept that some will care and some will not, there's not much left. No gods. Okay, done. :( I'm tired of the fight, the arguments, there is no converting believers so I quit going there and doing that. They either come to it on their own or don't. What's next...... nothing. So tell me something I don't know. MzLee
I know what you mean, there is only so much you can do with it. As atheists, lack of belief in deities is all many of us have in common - not only on this forum, but in the entire "atheist community". It's interesting to talk about issues from this perspective, and it's fun to discover new things, but I've never expected to change the world with my atheism.
I’m tired of the fight, the arguments, there is no converting believers so I quit going there and doing that. They either come to it on their own or don’t. What’s next…... nothing. So tell me something I don’t know.
MzLee, first of all did you become an atheist to convert believers or did you somehow just realize that there was no supernatural entity controlling your life? If you've hit the proverbially brick wall by attempting to convert the theists near you then I can understand your boredom. It ain't gonna happen. I use the phrase "you can't reason someone out of something they haven't been reasoned into in the first place". Somehow you finally realized that there is no Santa Claus, Easter bunny or kindly MAN in the sky watching your every movement and dispensing love and punishment. It's a human construct, so there. Now what? Unless you want to dive in and become an activist anti-theist campaigning against those who want to interject their belief system into your life then move on. I'm certain that you're defined by much more than the fact that you're an atheist. You can take comfort in the satisfaction that you figured it out. And BTW if you're bored then find a hobby you like or might like. Travel, see the World, we only have one life ya know. No final reward, well you know that, you're an atheist. Cap't Jack

I felt this same sense of “great, I’m an atheist now. So what next?” It went away when I realized there were so many new doors opened by a lack of god(s).Now you can explore who you are, what you think, why you think it, what you want out of life. Atheism doesn’t give you a purpose, it given you the opportunity to find it.
And to everyone here who says “Bah humbug, theists can’t be converted!”, to put it bluntly, you are wrong. I was a theist, who was arguing with atheists, and they ultimately convinced me there was a flaw in my logic and that I needed to reexamine my position. Am I an exception? Maybe. Could it be that your approach of “You’re indoctrinated fools who believe in idiotic fairy tails like little kids and you should stop it right now” is counterproductive? That’s also highly likely.

That’s great, for you. I’m glad some people can just be atheists and have it be boring, but think about how that was not too long ago. “I’m an atheist, hmm, guess I’ll spend the rest of my life trying not to be burned at the stake.” Until my lifetime, it meant at least being ostracized. I live in a small town, I have to always think about who I am talking to before I say anything on the subject.
As for groups, one of the big issues of atheism is that, as a group, we aren’t seen as being helpful. That’s not true, but still, if you’re into civic duty, join a group that doesn’t pray at meetings and do something. It doesn’t mean you also have to discuss atheism. OTOH, there are plenty of atheist issues, like helping people in Ghana who are accused of being witches. Check out the Foundation Beyond Belief conference Chicago next month to see a list of issues.
On the non-believer thing, I heard a Hitchens debate the other day. He said, “we” (him, Dawkins, Harris, etc) say the same things over and over. Their position is clear. But you never know what will come out of the mouths of theists. They take the same old arguments and put new spins on them, they lie and call it truth. Hitchens and I find that interesting, but I understand not everyone does.

You are right that it’s just about impossible to convert theists to atheism. But that’s not what I do. I try to encourage people who are already doubters that breaking away from theistic pretense may give them something to be joyful and satisfied about and improve their lives. Arguing about theism vs atheism can be boring, but I seldom do that with theists. If you get that much of an argument from theists it isn’t worth arguing about. But if you try you can find many people who are on the fence and just need a little encouragement and to be shown the value and joy of rational thinking. I never tire of that. Sometimes atheists do preach to the choir, but that’s not all bad, either. It’s a way of communing with like-minded people, no different than theists talking to other theists about the value of their religious stance or anyone with a particular philosophy, religious or secular, talking to their co-horts about that philosophy. It’s part of being a social human.
Lois

And to everyone here who says “Bah humbug, theists can’t be converted!", to put it bluntly, you are wrong. I was a theist, who was arguing with atheists, and they ultimately convinced me there was a flaw in my logic and that I needed to reexamine my position. Am I an exception? Maybe. Could it be that your approach of “You’re indoctrinated fools who believe in idiotic fairy tails like little kids and you should stop it right now" is counterproductive? That’s also highly likely.
No, you're wrong and you are an exception. Taking the "in your face" approach to any argument is counterproductive and simply causes the theist to dig in his heels and spout the same attack right back at you. Remember that statistically we are still in the minority even in this country and espousing Dawkins to your theist neighbor is fruitless. They have been indoctrinated for years beginning with childhood and an open discussion concerning religious fallacies, misinterpretations of Biblical or Koranic scripture will rarely happen. You first have to break down the wall of faith and that has to come from within. You can point out discrepancies and plant the seed of doubt but firm believers will easily attribute it to some supernatural entity, i.e. Satan. I have no idea how you were finally convinced but you had to have an open mind to even begin to listening to an atheist argument. Changing someone's World view is next to impossible with a firmly established mindset and a support group such as a tight knit religious family and membership in a religious institution. Becoming an atheist separates you from these groups and as herd animals, we need that support and like mindedness. In your case as you stated "there was a flaw in your logic" but the majority don't see any flaws in a flawless god. Hence the term "blind faith". Cap't Jack

Jack, You started out by telling Archrelos he was wrong, but it seems to me that you are both suggested pretty much the same thing. Perhaps you misread one of his words.
Or perhaps your point is that theists, being faith based, have no capacity for logical thinking or that they will always, ultimately, abdicate logical thinking in favor of faith based thinking.
I agree that theists will always, ultimately, abdicate logical thinking in favor of faith based thinking, as long as they are traditional theists. Because if they didn’t, they couldn’t very well be traditional theists.
But people are people first. Theism is just one of their conceptions. How and what people conceptualize is subject to change. I think we agree on that, also, as both you and Achrelos point out the impracticality of attempting to influence theists’ conceptions by aggressively pointing out the flaws of those conceptions.

I hear what you’re saying too. I think part of it is that we, meaning secular humanists and atheists, have been trained by the theists/Christians to think your belief system is something you have to constantly attend to. Think about it…they need bumper stickers, fish decals, weekly church, constant prayer, church groups AFTER church, bible studies OUT of church, retreats, rosaries, jewelry/crucifixes, and on and on to constantly keep them reinforcing (some might call it brainwashing) their beliefs.
To me that’s a sign of how weakly they hold their beliefs. Us OTOH, we’ve made our choice, and we get on with it. And as an aside, I think this is one of those cases where, if it turned out there was a god, she’d say hey, I know you didn’t do all the religious “bling” but you led a good life and tried to help others…you’re in!

I have no idea how you were finally convinced but you had to have an open mind to even begin to listening to an atheist argument. Changing someone's World view is next to impossible with a firmly established mindset and a support group such as a tight knit religious family and membership in a religious institution. Becoming an atheist separates you from these groups and as herd animals, we need that support and like mindedness. In your case as you stated "there was a flaw in your logic" but the majority don't see any flaws in a flawless god. Hence the term "blind faith". Cap't Jack
Without explaining my entire view of the construction of reality, I'm going to disagree, partially. I think it is easy to confuse our individual minds with the group mindset. Sure, we're a herd, but if just one hears a rustle in the grass, he better look up and look for others to confirm or disconfirm it, else we all get eaten. People alive today have much more knowledge of who "got eaten" in the past and why. And since radio, we have a lot of more knowledge of what's going on around us. I don't think any mind is truly "closed", otherwise religious people wouldn't talk so much about doubt. We have so many ways to bring truth to light today, to not use them is foolhardy.
... if it turned out there was a god, she'd say hey, I know you didn't do all the religious "bling" but you led a good life and tried to help others...you're in!
I think she would say, "Ewww! Nasty little humans! What was I thinking?... Now where are my beautiful children? Oh, there you are!... My precious dolphins!"

It occurs to me that, perhaps, I should be a dolphinist instead of a humanist. But, alas, my loyalties remain with my own kind.

@Thevillageatheist: If it was impossible to change other’s world views, there wouldn’t be many atheists. I like to think I am open minded, and that I was then as well. How was I convinced to consider my logic flaw?
I was talking on another forum in a debate about the existence of gods. An atheist I was friendly with asked me what reasons I had that my gods existed. I gave the usual answers of how the universe couldn’t be here without it and I had that feeling when I prayed and all the generic religious nonsense. But he responded only with something to the effect of “You have a lot of these thoughts and feelings about it, but you should consider whether that’s enough. If you are going to live your life in accordance with what a god wants, then you should be absolutely sure it’s really there. Just think about how much evidence there is. If you can’t find any, then ask yourself why you believe. Just think about it.”
And I did. I thought about it. When I realized I had nothing outside my own thoughts and feelings, I began to seriously question. I started demanding more frommy religious community, and demanding more of other theists outside my religion, and when I found they had no more than I did I decided it wasn’t enough and I left it. Not every theist is closed minded, and it isn’t impossible. He didn’t have to write a formal argument, be aggressive, make his case orndefend his position. All he did was be friendly and ask me to think. After a break I went back to the forum and asked him why he was an atheist, and what he did believe about other things, and I was convinced. So yeah, I think its possible. Maybe I am still just an exception, but I don’t see a reason I have to be. I’m not any more special than anyone else.

Sounds like you're bored of arguing over atheism. But like you say
Exactly! It's like, climbing to the top of a mountain to shake your fist at the sky and yell, "Hey world, I'm here." and then hanging around a bit, getting bored, then going home and doing dishes. lol That's beautiful :lol: