Introducing myself

Hello All,
My name is John
I live in central Missouri, USA
I’ve been married 17 years to a Catholic woman
I have two kids, 10 and 12 who are being raised to know how to be Catholic and to know that it is ok for people to not be religious
I’m not big on the self labeling because it’s been my experience that nobody interprets the labels the same way I intend them, but I fit the typical definitions of Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, etc.
Lately I’ve been spending a lot of time with Coursera and other MOOCs (four certificates so far)
I have a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering and work at a small general civil engineering consulting firm
I’m joining this forum because I don’t get the opportunity to get out in the real world and talk with like minded people very often. I hope to be active, but we’ll see.
I look forward to discussions

Welcome, feel free to jump right in.

Hello All, My name is John I live in central Missouri, USA I've been married 17 years to a Catholic woman I have two kids, 10 and 12 who are being raised to know how to be Catholic and to know that it is ok for people to not be religious I'm not big on the self labeling because it's been my experience that nobody interprets the labels the same way I intend them, but I fit the typical definitions of Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, etc. Lately I've been spending a lot of time with Coursera and other MOOCs (four certificates so far) I have a Master's degree in Civil Engineering and work at a small general civil engineering consulting firm I'm joining this forum because I don't get the opportunity to get out in the real world and talk with like minded people very often. I hope to be active, but we'll see. I look forward to discussions
There are a couple of active free-thought groups in St. Louis. It's always a good idea to talk to like-minded people face-to-face if you can. Lois

Welcome JH. While I don’t suggest that you compete with your wife about introducing your kids to Catholicism, it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea for you to get some simple books on critical thinking and help your children to approach concepts that way.
Occam

Hello All, My name is John I live in central Missouri, USA I've been married 17 years to a Catholic woman I have two kids, 10 and 12 who are being raised to know how to be Catholic and to know that it is ok for people to not be religious I'm not big on the self labeling because it's been my experience that nobody interprets the labels the same way I intend them, but I fit the typical definitions of Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, etc. Lately I've been spending a lot of time with Coursera and other MOOCs (four certificates so far) I have a Master's degree in Civil Engineering and work at a small general civil engineering consulting firm I'm joining this forum because I don't get the opportunity to get out in the real world and talk with like minded people very often. I hope to be active, but we'll see. I look forward to discussions
There are a couple of active free-thought groups in St. Louis. It's always a good idea to talk to like-minded people face-to-face if you can. Lois There is actually an active community in the town where I live, but I'm just too busy to find time to meet with them. I make it out to a meeting about once a year and always enjoy it immensely.
Welcome JH. While I don't suggest that you compete with your wife about introducing your kids to Catholicism, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for you to get some simple books on critical thinking and help your children to approach concepts that way. Occam
Thanks for the welcomes. I'm always looking for ways to teach them critical thinking. I think it is taking. I don't know whether they'll end up religious, but I am confident that they will generally behave reasonably.