In case you're wondering

The maps usually show Moose Lake. Which is just south of us. The inches aren’t so bad, but the temp will hang around 32 for a few days, making for very wet and heavy stuff. The power was for a half hour, but were surviving.

1 Like

:worried: :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope that everything will be well for you

Do you have a pretty good back up plan for longer outages?

No. Other than driving out and staying with friends. We’ve never been out for more than 3 hours.

The French government has announced that, due to a shortage of electricity production, we risk rotating blackouts lasting 2 hours.

The cause: a lack of maintenance of our nuclear power plants. The Ukrainian war takes its effects, when we should have been protected.

Have you looked into the new portable solar systems.

Fir about 2500.00 yo can get a system that will keep your house going for a couple of days.

I don’t know who makes the best sytems but there are about 4 or 5 major suppliers.

check out portable solar panels;

Complete solar systems;
https://www.bing.com/shop?q=solar+survival+systems&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=9EB6FB0B5DE44BB9A0673DBA6768FDF8

I wonder how they would do with 8 hours of a cloudy day

I don’t know if you’d want to drive out in such weather. Anything could happen- sliding off the road, despite it being a few inches, is one thing that comes to mind. Then again, I avoid driving in snow and/or ice. I just won’t venture out in it. I’m glad to hear you’re doing well though.

I might need rethink. Usually we are v plowed our within hours of a few inches of snow, but we are going on more than a day as of now. But the lights are on, so, all good

They still charge, albeit at a slower rate. I have seen double systems advertised that are almost completely independent from the grid.

I was considering buying a basic system here in No. Idaho, but now that the new hydrogen based batteries are coming out I want to wait until they are being used to replace the Tesla (lithium) batteries. If they can be used to drive cars reliably, they should work ok for home use.

First though, ah getting away from lithium, great, as it happens a couple weeks ago my neighbor’s car’s battery blew up and burned up the car, barely giving him time to pull over and get out.

Then me thinks “Hydrogen”, hmmm.

But, I’m sure they’ve got the bugs worked out.

I been doing some surfing and it seems like google kept offering article about Hydrogen Fuel Cells, not battery.

Main differences. The single most essential difference between fuel cells and batteries is simple: a battery stores energy which it then uses, whereas a fuel cell generates energy by converting available fuel . As long as you have access to the fuel, you have access to electricity – anytime, anywhere.

But then I zeroed in a little better:

A nickel–hydrogen battery (NiH2 or Ni–H2) is a rechargeable electrochemical power source based on nickel and hydrogen.[5] It differs from a nickel–metal hydride (NiMH) battery by the use of hydrogen in gaseous form, stored in a pressurized cell at up to 1200 psi (82.7 bar) pressure.[6] The nickel–hydrogen battery was patented on February 25, 1971 by Alexandr Ilich Kloss and Boris Ioselevich Tsenter in the United States.[7]

NiH2 cells using 26% potassium hydroxide (KOH) as an electrolyte have shown a service life of 15 years or more at 80% depth of discharge (DOD)[8] The energy density is 75 Wh/kg, 60 Wh/dm3[2] specific power 220 W/kg.[3] The open-circuit voltage is 1.55 V, the average voltage during discharge is 1.25 V.[9]

While the energy density is only around one third as that of a lithium battery, the distinctive virtue of the nickel–hydrogen battery is its long life: the cells handle more than 20,000 charge cycles[[4]](Nickel–hydrogen battery - Wikipedia) with 85% energy efficiency and 100% faradaic efficiency.

Now I know (an itty bitty bit).
Easy pieze, used in space all the time.
What could go wrong?