Hey

I’ve been an atheist for quite a few years now. Been on some other forums in the past, but not for a couple of years. So many atheists on forums are just looking for an argument and it gets old, so I kind of stepped way from all forums and even comment sections for some time. But I do miss interactions with like minded people.

One thing you should probably know about me is that I’m a stickler for facts, truth and definitions. If you were to say, for example, “UFOs are real!” I would be compelled to point out that you were using the term “UFO” when what you really meant was “alien spacecraft”, or whatever nonsense you are advocating. I used to know one lady who thought they were demons. The first, yes, is very much real. But that doesn’t prove the second. And if the discussion comes around to transgender people using the bathroom they are comfortable with and you called that “equal rights” I would be compelled to point out that if you say “Transgender people should be able to use the bathroom they are comfortable with” instead of simply “PEOPLE should be able to use the bathroom they are comfortable with” then what you are advocating for is not “rights” at all, it’s special privilege. If the law specifies only a certain subset of people then that law is not seeking to impart “rights”, it is seeking to impart “special privilege”.

So, that’s me. I’m interested in lively discussion, even with those who disagree with me, but I’m not interested in self-masturbatory tactics meant to win arguments and make one’s self feel superior rather than reach further understanding from each side.

CFI is a major organization, but this forum is kinda small potatoes, but we’re lively and pretty accepting of facts! I’ll think you’ll fit in, we have a little bit of everything.

but I’m not interested in self-masturbatory tactics meant to win arguments and make one’s self feel superior rather than reach further understanding from each side.
You have a way with words. It reminds me of some one who shows up around here now and again arguing for ID, but I ain't naming names.

Thank you. Don’t confuse my mastery of the English language with overall intellectual acuity, however. I’m really dumb as hell. I just hide it well :wink:

@widdershins

I had to look up the word.

I like you already.

So many atheists on forums are just looking for an argument
...Right??!

If you were to say, for example, “UFOs are real!” I would be compelled to point out that you were using the term “UFO” when what you really meant was “alien spacecraft”
I get this.

I’m a journalist.

I realize that words mean stuff.

Advice: Stay away from @MikeYohe ?

Welcome!

"And if the discussion comes around to transgender people using the bathroom they are comfortable with and you called that “equal rights” I would be compelled to point out that if you say "

Is this what keeps you up at night??

No, it is not what keeps me up at nights. You can read the rest of what I wrote and consider it until you realize that I don’t have a problem with the LGBT community, what I have a problem with is mislabeling special privilege as rights or we can just not talk to each other. I’m good either way.

Thomas Cook gorn!!!

Good to know, I guess? I don’t know what that means.

Living in a box. Cardboard box

Okay. Complete sentences would be nice. Is it supposed to be an insult or something? If so we can disagree without making disparaging remarks toward each other. If not, I still don’t understand what you’re saying.

For the record, I am not homophobic. I have nothing against the LGTB community. I have 2 nephews and a daughter which are part of that community. My objection is simply to special privilege, and that goes for any group. Gay rights, including the right to be who you are at every moment of every day, including at work, without fear of hostility, emotional or physical, or of being fired are an absolute must, in my opinion. So this apparent hostility you have is misplaced.

It actually happens every time I post about the whole bathroom thing. I’m sorry, but if a law specifically spells out a special subset of people to be allowed to do something the rest of us cannot, that is not a “right”, it is a “special privilege” for the particular group spelled out in the law. I didn’t invent reality, so if you’re upset about reality then I suggest you find a religion so you can get yourself a god to take it up with. I’m not going to pretend reality isn’t real to spare your special little feelings.

Remember that song? The largest travel agency in the world collapse.

Sounds like you are homophobe. Any one who has to use the line I have Jewish friends or I know a lot of black people or I hang around many gays is a bit dodge.

You say special privilage? I say who gives a fuck

Okay, I’m a homophobe. You win. Happy? Now fuck off.

<p style=“padding-left: 120px;”>Widder - who gives a fuck?</p>

In my new role as moderator, I’m going to ask both of you to keep it civil here.

Dear Player,

If you can’t resist the impulse to froth and drool on threads in this forum, can you at least take a stab at being relevant or interesting.

Sincerely,

Everyone who isn’t you

Really. they r using the F-word, like they are Beto ORourke. Not that I mind the f-word.

3point - do you care about this? Spit it out

@Lausten

My apologies. I cannot abide the petty, argumentative type. It will not happen again.

Yes how petty to attack your primary concern. Forgive me