Hi from Portland

How is everyone?
I have been floating somewhere between a full blown atheist and someone who had a vague belief in some organizing, cognitive force since I was a young kid, but over the past few years I’ve really become more solidified in my atheistic views. I work as a lab technician in a research laboratory, focusing mainly on inflammatory pathways. Over the 7 year stint at my job, I have seen first hand many mysteries, and witnessed that if we take the time, effort and brainpower, suddenly the mysteries vanish and scientific results blossom.
I’m not outspoken about my atheism, but I also don’t hide my beliefs. I come from a Jewish household, have had a bar mitzvah, and although I don’t believe in a god, I do love the community and culture from whence I came. My oldest nephew (12) recently decided not to have a bar mitzvah since he too is an atheist. A very smart kid, he came to this conclusion on his own, and it’s been a pleasure to sit down with him recently and discuss the topic and let him know he’s not alone.
That’s enough for now, I’ll go check out some threads now,
Peace,
Eli

How is everyone? I have been floating somewhere between a full blown atheist and someone who had a vague belief in some organizing, cognitive force since I was a young kid, but over the past few years I've really become more solidified in my atheistic views. I work as a lab technician in a research laboratory, focusing mainly on inflammatory pathways. Over the 7 year stint at my job, I have seen first hand many mysteries, and witnessed that if we take the time, effort and brainpower, suddenly the mysteries vanish and scientific results blossom. I'm not outspoken about my atheism, but I also don't hide my beliefs. I come from a Jewish household, have had a bar mitzvah, and although I don't believe in a god, I do love the community and culture from whence I came. My oldest nephew (12) recently decided not to have a bar mitzvah since he too is an atheist. A very smart kid, he came to this conclusion on his own, and it's been a pleasure to sit down with him recently and discuss the topic and let him know he's not alone. That's enough for now, I'll go check out some threads now, Peace, Eli
Welcome aboard. Glad you're talking to your nephew; we may not need the gods but we all need social support.