Here's a chuckle

To get your mind off religion
Computer Issues/Passwords Setting your password:
–Sorry that password has expired- you must register a new one.
Did anyone discover that password and hack my computer?
–No, but your password has expired- you must get a new one.
Why then do I need a new one as that one seems to be working pretty good?
–You must get a new one as they automatically expire every 30 days.
Can I use the old one and just re-register it?
–No, you must get a new one.
I don’t want a new one as that is one more thing for me to remember.
–Sorry, you must get a new one.
OK, roses
–Sorry you must use more letters.
OK, pretty roses
–No good, you must use at least one numerical space.
OK, 1 pretty rose
–Sorry, you cannot use blank spaces.
OK, 1prettyrose
–Sorry, you must use additional spaces.
OK, 1fuckingprettyrose
–Sorry, you must use at least one capital letter.
OK, 1FUCKINGprettyrose
–Sorry, you cannot use more than one capital letter in a row.
OK, 1Fuckingprettyrose
–Sorry, you cannot use that password as you must use additional letters.
OK, 1FUCKINGprettyroseshovedupyourassifyoudon’tgivemeaccessrightfuckingnow
–Sorry, you cannot use that password as it is already being used

To get your mind off religion Computer Issues/Passwords Setting your password: --Sorry that password has expired- you must register a new one. Did anyone discover that password and hack my computer? --No, but your password has expired- you must get a new one. Why then do I need a new one as that one seems to be working pretty good? --You must get a new one as they automatically expire every 30 days. Can I use the old one and just re-register it? --No, you must get a new one. I don't want a new one as that is one more thing for me to remember. --Sorry, you must get a new one. OK, roses --Sorry you must use more letters. OK, pretty roses --No good, you must use at least one numerical space. OK, 1 pretty rose --Sorry, you cannot use blank spaces. OK, 1prettyrose --Sorry, you must use additional spaces. OK, 1fuckingprettyrose --Sorry, you must use at least one capital letter. OK, 1FUCKINGprettyrose --Sorry, you cannot use more than one capital letter in a row. OK, 1Fuckingprettyrose --Sorry, you cannot use that password as you must use additional letters. OK, 1FUCKINGprettyroseshovedupyourassifyoudon'tgivemeaccessrightfuckingnow --Sorry, you cannot use that password as it is already being used
:-)

I have 7 passwords at work, that I have to change either every 30 or every 45 days (of course I can’t change them all on the same schedule…it would be too easy), and they have all sorts of rules about length, what characters you can use (you have to include one, but it doesn’t accept all of them), and numbers (there has to be one, as well as a capitalized letter). And you cannot repeat it for 10 months. They told us not to write them down, except as we accumulated more password protected functions, people were forgetting their passwords and having to call IT to get it reset as a cost of $8 each time. So they told us to write it down…defeating the purpose of a password IMHO.

To get your mind off religion Computer Issues/Passwords Setting your password: --Sorry that password has expired- you must register a new one. Did anyone discover that password and hack my computer? --No, but your password has expired- you must get a new one. Why then do I need a new one as that one seems to be working pretty good? --You must get a new one as they automatically expire every 30 days. Can I use the old one and just re-register it? --No, you must get a new one. I don't want a new one as that is one more thing for me to remember. --Sorry, you must get a new one. OK, roses --Sorry you must use more letters. OK, pretty roses --No good, you must use at least one numerical space. OK, 1 pretty rose --Sorry, you cannot use blank spaces. OK, 1prettyrose --Sorry, you must use additional spaces. OK, 1fuckingprettyrose --Sorry, you must use at least one capital letter. OK, 1FUCKINGprettyrose --Sorry, you cannot use more than one capital letter in a row. OK, 1Fuckingprettyrose --Sorry, you cannot use that password as you must use additional letters. OK, 1FUCKINGprettyroseshovedupyourassifyoudon'tgivemeaccessrightfuckingnow --Sorry, you cannot use that password as it is already being used
Is this what happened to you, Lois? Be honest. :)

That’s great. Of course, there’s an advantage to being an old fud who doesn’t need much in the way of Internet websites. Whenever something of that sort happens to me, I just send the site a note saying how stupid their procedure is and telling them that I’m not interested in being on their site. The weird thing is that they usually answer, and offer to help me get a new password. They then give me complete instructions (which I already knew) and it still fu-ks up so I don’t bother going back.
You may notice that my Screen Name has a period at the end of it. That’s because I originally signed on without that. Then at some point this program did something weird with my password and I couldn’t get back on. Doug and the webmasters couldn’t figure out how to correct it, so I had to come on as a new member and use the period. :slight_smile:
Occam

Damn does that sound familiar! I teach on line classes and must change passwords every ninety days. Every time I do something screws up and I have to call a tech who straightens it out, for a while, so I alternate between two passwords I’m familiar with and switch numbers around. Frustrating as hell. I think god’s punishing me, sorry Occam. :down:
Cap’t Jack

Is this what happened to you, Lois? Be honest. :) Close enough!
Damn does that sound familiar! I teach on line classes and must change passwords every ninety days. Every time I do something screws up and I have to call a tech who straightens it out, for a while, so I alternate between two passwords I'm familiar with and switch numbers around. Frustrating as hell. I think god's punishing me, sorry Occam. :down: Cap't Jack
I've never understood why I have to change passwords. If I have a good, strong password, why change it? This seems like something an IT admin thought up a long time ago and has become acccpted dogma without any evidence.
I've never understood why I have to change passwords. If I have a good, strong password, why change it? This seems like something an IT admin thought up a long time ago and has become acccpted dogma without any evidence.
Wholeheartedly agree. And the problem gets even worse when you know you should have different, just as difficult passwords for all your different accounts (Amazon, Google, AppleStore, YourWork, Email, Bank, PayPal, etc etc). Oh, yeah, you should have a password safe. Where is it? On your home PC? At your work? Or a copy on your USB stick (which you can loose or can get broken)? In the cloud (the NSA advises this ;-P )? GdB Database Administrator....
Damn does that sound familiar! I teach on line classes and must change passwords every ninety days. Every time I do something screws up and I have to call a tech who straightens it out, for a while, so I alternate between two passwords I'm familiar with and switch numbers around. Frustrating as hell. I think god's punishing me, sorry Occam. :down: Cap't Jack
I've never understood why I have to change passwords. If I have a good, strong password, why change it? This seems like something an IT admin thought up a long time ago and has become acccpted dogma without any evidence. Yes. i agree. A discussion group password is unlikely to be compromised, so I don't understand the paranoia. It's because they can, I suspect, and that power is so overwhelming they can't resist. Lois
I’ve never understood why I have to change passwords. If I have a good, strong password, why change it? This seems like something an IT admin thought up a long time ago and has become acccpted dogma without any evidence.
I know there's a lot of paranoia over hacking and we've been told over and over NOT share our password with anyone on pain of death (as if I would anyway) as the hacker could use me a some sort of gateway into the whole statewide system. Apparently the hackers want access to the student financial records and grade systems. It's frustrating though to have to change passwords constantly in order to frustrate the cyber thieves. You'd think that by now some super genius would invent a fail safe system. Oh well, one can dream. Cap't Jack
I have 7 passwords at work, that I have to change either every 30 or every 45 days (of course I can't change them all on the same schedule...it would be too easy), and they have all sorts of rules about length, what characters you can use (you have to include one, but it doesn't accept all of them), and numbers (there has to be one, as well as a capitalized letter). And you cannot repeat it for 10 months. They told us not to write them down, except as we accumulated more password protected functions, people were forgetting their passwords and having to call IT to get it reset as a cost of $8 each time. So they told us to write it down...defeating the purpose of a password IMHO.
Couldn't agree more asanta. I need two different passwords to get into my EMR. Each password has to have at least 10 elements. There has to be at least one number, one upper case letter, one lower case letter and one special character ( although there is a small group of special characters you can't use and I can never remember which damn ones are off limits). We have to change our passwords every 30 days but its really not 30 days because they start nagging you to change your password every time you sign in starting 10 days before and if you don't change it you have to click through a bunch of screens so you invariable give up and change it even though its only been 20 days. You also can't use any of the last 24 passwords you have used so you need a really long list or complex system for generating new passwords. The same process applies for access to the new mandatory state narcotic website that must be consulted every time we right an rx for a controlled substance. I'm beginning to think the only people they are keeping out of the website are the people who are actually authorized to use it.
I have 7 passwords at work, that I have to change either every 30 or every 45 days (of course I can't change them all on the same schedule...it would be too easy), and they have all sorts of rules about length, what characters you can use (you have to include one, but it doesn't accept all of them), and numbers (there has to be one, as well as a capitalized letter). And you cannot repeat it for 10 months. They told us not to write them down, except as we accumulated more password protected functions, people were forgetting their passwords and having to call IT to get it reset as a cost of $8 each time. So they told us to write it down...defeating the purpose of a password IMHO.
Couldn't agree more Lois. I need two different passwords to get into my EMR. Each password has to have at least 10 elements. There has to be at least one number, one upper case letter, one lower case letter and one special character ( although there is a small group of special characters you can't use and I can never remember which damn ones are off limits). We have to change our passwords every 30 days but its really not 30 days because they start nagging you to change your password every time you sign in starting 10 days before and if you don't change it you have to click through a bunch of screens so you invariable give up and change it even though its only been 20 days. You also can't use any of the last 24 passwords you have used so you need a really long list or complex system for generating new passwords. The same process applies for access to the new mandatory state narcotic website that must be consulted every time we right an rx for a controlled substance. I'm beginning to think the only people they are keeping out of the website are the people who are actually authorized to use it. You're right. hackers can get in, owners of the accounts cannot. I think the cyberwold is trying to drive us crazy--and they're succeding! I'm sure it's worse for professionals like doctors and nurses. There is no such thing as a secure password. Lois

You mean my password of 1234 isn’t secure??? :lol:
Occam

You mean my password of 1234 isn't secure??? :lol: Occam
Apparently thats a very secure password Occam I just tried logging in under your name and it didn't work

Sorry, they require five characters and I didn’t bother listing the last one. :lol:
Occam

Sorry, they require five characters and I didn't bother listing the last one. :lol: Occam
No doubt the last character is "5". I never noticed the period, after Occam, before. It seem appropriate, however, as "Occam." could be viewed as a complete (though particularly frugal) sentence. The noun in the sentence, being "Occam" and the remainder of the sentence, though hidden, is understood to be "is succinct".

Naw, he added the period a few years ago after he forgot his password, hence the new, easily remembered one. I didn’t have the heart to tell him his old one was “password.”

NOW you tell me. I’ve been going crazy for years forgetting that damned period and having to go back and correct things. :lol:
Occam

I've never understood why I have to change passwords. If I have a good, strong password, why change it? This seems like something an IT admin thought up a long time ago and has become acccpted dogma without any evidence. There are no red flashing lights that go off when someone's account has been hacked. Someone has to be actually looking for illegal activity. A different person using your account with your password using a registered browser would not be detectable at all. Rather than spend all that time looking for something to NOT be happening, it's easier just to get everyone changing their passwords often.