Hello!

Hey everyone, my name is Richard. I was a Christian all my life (20+ years) until recently, when I had to abandon the faith. Believe it or not, it is possible to be reasoned out of something you were not reasoned into. Not only was I a Christian (of a controversial cult-like group called The Local Church), but I went to a bible school for two years, read the bible around 10 times from cover to cover, read volumes of commentary on the bible, and until recently volunteered in a number of areas at my local church. Well after reading some books on career related matters, I eventually had an interest to read about psychology and other scientific areas. Eventually, I came to the point to try my best to question my faith with minimal bias. Well the results turned out to be great. After reading a number of science related books as well as critical books on Christianity I found my way out!
Now I am a member of The Clergy Project, a Point of Inquiry fan, part of my local skeptics group, and am awaiting my first issue of The Skeptical Inquirer. I love skepticism and critical thinking. I have a B.S. in Electrical Engineering, so perhaps the scientific background that I got there is what has helped me along the way. I was not just a believer in Christian theology, but also some alternative medicine techniques and paranormal/supernatural claims. A lot of this is new for me, and it is nice to have my mind freed of many irrational beliefs and able to live a more fulfilling life as a result.
I’ll probably have some posts soon in other forums and I look forward to interacting with you all!

What’s up? How ya doin?

Man, I hope that you do contribute. It can be intimidating, I think, for many, to do so. It seems to me that there are a lot of folks who could be good contributors, who introduce themselves, and then, we hear little or nothing else from them.

Man, I hope that you do contribute. It can be intimidating, I think, for many, to do so. It seems to me that there are a lot of folks who could be good contributors, who introduce themselves, and then, we hear little or nothing else from them.
Yes, I do plan on contributing. I hope to learn from you all and will post some questions soon.