Greetings and Question

Greetings to all.

I was moved to join because of the depressing and deflating effect that religion has on American society, schools, and politics. I now have resources to help counter that. Rather than preaching to the choir, my inclination is to support “recruitment” (for lack of a better term) of impressionable minds (ages 17-23 or so). Let them know that atheism/agnosticism is valid, moral, and growing more acceptable and prevalent. Can folks recommend the best programs/funds for such an effort?

Thanks.
Vito

2 Likes

Vito,
Funding is getting more and more difficult to arrange.
Good intentions are great, but what’s your plan?

I don’t understand why folks dismiss ‘singing to the choir’ - why not figure out how to get the choir, better informed and more willing to engage in your effort, wouldn’t that help multiply its potential?

What about getting the choir to review and help improve your rough drafts?

For instance, “recruitment” - who wants to be recruited these days?
Are you starting a militia?
What do you want to recruit people for?
What’s the plan?
Please share.

1 Like

I’m a little busy right now, but check into this

Bart Campolo did this in CA, and there was a famous one at Harvard, I’ll look up the guy who wrote a book about it later

1 Like

Welcome Vito.

You can begin by supporting CFI. That would be an excellent investment.

OUR MISSION

The Center for Inquiry strives to foster a secular society based on reason, science, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values.

LEARN MORE

And further discussion of your favorite interests would also be welcomed.

1 Like

Sorry I was not clear. I want to give funds, not solicit them. No militias! I just want it to count. I love the articles on CFI, FFRF, etc. (and plan to support them) but it seems that would have limited effect because folks looking at these sites are already on board?

1 Like

Most members are humanitarians, but CFI is a not-for-profit organization that depends on financial support from its members in order to fund high-quality debates and lectures by respected (paid) lecturers.

And the better quality of presentation, the greater the attendance.

1 Like

I started watching an internet atheist show (when I was still a believer) because I wanted to figure out how to argue against them. I realized they were right after a year or so.

I don’t know what the numbers are, but CFI reaches out in many ways to find new members

1 Like

Hello and welcome. Know your promblems will be heard and good debate is pleasant to all.

1 Like

Welcome vitolear, looking forward to your posts.

and welcome back arikel88. You are right, all people of goodwill are welcome to CFI.

2 Likes